• Tweets

• First of all it sounds as if your retailer is very decent and very responsible. This itself is unusual in these kinds of circumstances and I think we need to bear this in mind. The guarantee is not particularly relevant and in fact the dealer had a statutory duty to exercise a certain responsibility for your computer – probably for several years as their obligation under the consumer rights act. The dealer may not have known this and it simply acting out of a sense of moral responsibility and that is even more noteworthy. You've already suggested earlier that you didn't really want to cause problems for your retailer. I think that you will need the help of your retailer as well in order to get information and evidence. I suggest that you proceed against DPD – but before you do that – I suggest that you have a discussion with the retailer. Tell them that this is what you are going to be doing and you would like to have a copy of anything they have which relates to the special instructions which apparently your dealer has already informed you about in relation to where item should be left. Secondly, maybe you should tell your dealer about this site and also about this thread. I can imagine like many dealers who are frequently sending items by means of couriers, they have had things go missing. Tell them that we will be very happy to help them recover money for lost or damaged or stolen items – and that is regardless of whether or not they have purchased insurance. Apart from being very pleased to help your dealer recover items which have been lost by irresponsible parcel delivery companies, I think we need to encourage the complicity between you and them so they will be pleased to support you in your claim against DPD. It will be helpful if you can get a copy of the instructions that you have referred to above, and also if you can get some written evidence of your own instruction that your laptop should be left in a safe place. Have you done the reading on this sub- forum? You will need to do lots of reading of many of the similar stories on this sub- forum. They won't necessarily be against DPD but the principles will broadly be the same. Also read the pinned topics at the top of the sub- forum in order to understand many of the principles involved. Getting your money back but be quick – but your chances of success are better than 90% that you can bank on it taking anything up to a year. Have you got anything in writing from DPD either refusing you or telling you that they won't discuss with you?  
    • Thank you for telling us the text of the letter you had from the police. As we don't seem to have come across this before, it would be really useful for us to see the original please. HB
    • Pasco has recalled 104,000 packs of sliced bread after rat remains were found in at least two packs.View the full article
    • UPDATE I went rooting through an old box of paperwork I have and I've found the original Default Notice. It is dated **/**/201*, however.. The copy of the Default Notice that they sent with the LBC has a completely different date on it 😮 Can they issue 2 default notices for the same debt? Where they have changed the date on the copy, they have also changed the amount owed through failed payments and how much is required to be paid by a certain date. In addition, they sent (with the 1st LBC) a copy of the termination of the agreement, which I cannot find the original. However, the termination date is 3 days after the date given on the (doctored) Default Notice, by which monies are to be paid by. So, they gave until the 'x' date to pay the arrears, then terminated the agreement 3 days later. I bet a dollar to a dime they've doctored the termination date also.
    • Having looked through the paperwork, I note they have sent 3 seperate LBCs. Two are in the name of FCA Automotive (1st one issued 21 Jan 2020, 2nd one 21 Sept 2022) and the last one (issued 12 Sept 2023) is under CA Auto Finance UK Limited. In the first one, they did send a copy of the default notice, but this was not sent with the 2nd LBC and neither was it sent with the last one either. .  A quick look at the default notice and I see it states the agreement start date was not the same day as the original agreement was signed. It's a day different but do not know if that makes any difference. Also, I note we received a letter on the 16 Nov 2023 which states of a 14 day notice of intention to issue claim form. Heard nothing since that, until this court claim arrived. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mortgage Shortfall County Court Claim Help Needed

Loser4u
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4900 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My partners house was repossesed in 2000 and sold for a lot less than the outstanding balance.

DLC where chasing the debt and unfortunatley she was making regular payments but would never have cleared the outstanding balance unless she had lived to about 300.

We never received a copy of the original court judgement and couldn't get a breakdown of the sale price or how the outstanding balance had been calculated. So sent a DSAR to DLC followed by an account in dispute letter when they failed to supply anything. They quickly ran away and passed the debt back to the Halifax. We stopped the payments at this time.

Sent DSAR to the Halifax who returned our letters account unknown - They still cashed the payment though. Sent account in dispute letter and after lots of futher correspondance they sent a one page account summary letter and say they have complied with the DSAR and if we don't resume payments they will commence legal proceedings. Reply to say they haven't complied and this is quickly followed by a county court claim form similar in format to the thread below.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?160830-Shortfall-Court-Summons-URGENT-help-needed-please!&highlight=halifax+dsar

Acknowleded receipt of service on the day service was deemed to have happened and still have a week left to file 1st defence which will be similar to the above thread.

I have kept up correspondance to the Halifax in that the DSAR still not complied with fully.

Sent a CPR31.14 to the solicitors acting on behalf of the Halifax by recorded delivery on the same day as acknowledgment and as expected have not have not recieved any reply.

Had an update from the Halifax on DSAR and now have

Mortgage conditions from the original lender dated 1989 - 2 pages with no reference and not linked to any other documents & no signatures.

Loan Application form signed by both applicants 1990 . No reference to the above terms and conditions

A breakdown of payements covering Oct 1992 - Sep 2000 No account numbers or refernces

Debt Summary covering the same period which looks like a yearly summary. Lots of charges and fees.

This has both borrowers names and account numbers.

The response letter also has the following statement "Under the Data Protection Act an individual is entitled to a copy of all information that is held in a relevant filing system, unfortunatley this does not include any paper files such as a copy of your mortgage file / repossesion file. If a customer wishes to obtain a copy of this paper file then they would need to apply for a court order and then we would comply with the request."

Is this correct ? or more bull / misinformation or am I right in thinking that these are structured files as they are refered to as "your Mortgage File / Repossesion file" and applies to all structured files regardless of format or when created with access requested after 21st October 2001.

If our memory serves us right we knew we had issues paying two mortgages with only one income and we asked for permission to rent the property which the Halifax refused without the other borrowers signature (He disappeared about 7 years previously) The Leeds had agreed but between us first asking and then being a position to start renting ownership changed to the Halifax.

We got an offer for a sale and asked for this to be taken as full and final settlement this would have left a shorfall of around £2k a lot better than the sale price they achieved and this again was turned down.

What other documents should I be requesting when sending in my request for directions with the defence.

Apologies for the long winded post and all help appreciated

Any comments on this as defence

Defence

Except where otherwise mentioned in this Defence, I neither admit nor deny any allegation made in the claimant’s Particulars of Claim and put the Claimant to strict proof thereof.

In an attempt to further this case, I wrote to the Claimant on **/**/2010 (see attached letter marked “Exhibit Loser4U 1 via Special Delivery and received by the Claimant on the **/**/2010. The request was made for disclosure of all documents and information under The Civil Procedure Rules, Pre-Action Protocols; documentation which the claimant sought to rely upon in this case and, which would help me to prepare my Defence and expedite the case.

To date, the Claimant has ignored my request, failed and has failed to supply any information at all. Furthermore, the Claimant has also failed to state any such reasons for their failure to comply. I therefore consider this an attempt to frustrate proceedings and make it difficult to compile a Defence to the allegations in the Particulars of Claim.

Without disclosure of the aforementioned documentation, I would like to draw to the court’s attention to the fact that, as a litigant in person, it is proving difficult to compile a fully particularised Defence in response to the claimants particulars of claim.

I believe that the Claimant has a duty under the Civil Procedure Rules to supply documentation relating to the Particulars of Claim, in accordance with Practice Direction 16 paragraph 7.3, which states :

Where a claim is based upon a written agreement :

(1)

A copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing, and

(2)

Any general conditions of sale incorporated in the contract should also be attached (but where the contract is or the documents constituting the agreement are bulky this practice direction is complied with by attaching or serving only the relevant parts of the contract or documents).

The Defendant avers that the claim is for the same monies which were the subject of previous proceedings in which the claimant obtained possession of the property on the **th **** ****. Accordingly this claim is vexatious and/or an abuse of process and should be struck out pursuant to Part 3 CPR.

I now turn to the figure of £ **,***.

At all material times in exercising its powers of sale, the Claimant owed the Defendant a duty to obtain the best price reasonably available and to incur only reasonable costs in relation to the sale. It is denied, alternatively it is not admitted that the sum of £**,*** represented the best price reasonably available on the sale of the property. A reasonable price would have been not less than £**,***

Notwithstanding the above, it is my belief that this figure contains a proportion of accrued interest under the Mortgage Agreement/Deed referred to by the Claimant, which should have been separated from the principal sum owed under the mortgage account. I put the claimant to strict proof that the sale proceeds where apportioned to the outstanding balance as per the Mortgage Agreement/deed referred to by the claimant.

Any such interest contained within the amount should be considered a separate cause of action.

a. The amounts claimed of £ **,*** does not contain any accrued interest;

The Claimant's claim to be entitled to discretionary interest to the sum of £**,*** under County Courts Act 1984 section 69 is denied. Alternatively, the Defendant will contend at the trial of this case that in the exercise of its discretion the Claimant's claim to statutory interest should be refused in whole or in part.

I therefore request that the court consider striking out the Claimants particulars in view of their failure to supply any supporting documentation with the particulars and their failure to comply with the Civil Procedure Rules, in particular part 16 and Practice Direction 16. It is my opinion that the Claimant appears to have frustrated these proceedings by failing to disclose the requested documentation upon request and for behaving vexatiously.

Should it not be considered acceptable to strike out the Claimants particulars, it is respectfully requested that the court orders the Claimant to supply the requested information forthwith and I respectfully request that the court grants permission for me to amend my Defence accordingly, when the claimant discloses the aforementioned documentation.

Thanks

This is really good responce and defence Loser4.

Good luck with your defence, it will be nice to know what has happend after this defence pls.

I have been off for a while as I have been quite unwell.

• 3 weeks later...

Update

Its getting time to complete the N150 form

Should I amend my defence regarding the SAR reply

Signed application form with no terms or conditions - what can I use

Copy of terms and conditions from previous year from a different building society and not signed so these are not relevant

Breakdown of payments / credits which has the same balance but a different sales price to the completion page provided with the claim - can i use this?

As expected had nothing back from my CPR request except two letters to say they have received my defence and "it is always their intention to negotiate settlements to avoid court costs should the matter be listed for trial".

• 1 month later...

Update on this

Have had preliminary hearing – which was a first for me

Judge gave their solicitor a hard time and refused most of what they asked for and agreed with most of what we asked for without us having to ask for it.

(I had a list of what I wanted and ticked them of as judge said them)

Solicitor also wasn't happy when we kept telling him, and showing him evidence, that contradicted what he said he had been advised of by the solicitor handling the case.

Anyway the outcome is draft directions which includes full disclosure by the other side and all the other usual requirements regarding what both sides need to do along with timescales.