• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

claimant has been told by the court to get a private enforcer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4504 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi there i was recently sued for 4040 pound and now have a ccj against me the woman who sued me insisted it was paid immediately which i cannot afford as my business finished over a year ago i applied to vary the payment through the court which i have done today which she has refused to accept as it was only 10 per month even though other debtors have accepted this the judge reset the judgement and told her to get a private enforcer as i proved that i am in so much debt and my wife is ill and i now have to become her carer as she has multiple sclerosis so the judge ment still stands can anyone tell me

what i can do if this bailiff turns up

i have nothing of value that i own ie home furnishing no flash tellys or anything really am on the bread line

i have a car on disability for my wife it is leased from Motability its in her name can they touch this

can they touch lawnmowers or cookers or anything like that i have a set of golf clubs woth 70 pound new i have a pc can they touch this as my wife uses it a lot to communicate with friends

can anyone give some advice plz thanks

also i have 3 children in the house who have their own stuff in their rooms can they touch any of the kids stuff

Edited by Britupforit

As I know from my own experience, its relatively easy to get a judgment against you but enforcing that judgment can be almost impossible. You can't get blood out of a stone, so although your judgment creditor might want her pound of flesh immediately - tough cookies really! My outstanding CCJ is for almost £30,000 (won by default).

The judgment creditor should have done her homework about your financial cirumstances BEFORE she took you to Court, e.g. through an order to obtain information.

She can apply to the High Court for a Writ of Fi-Fa and then instruct HCEOs to enforce payment. However, if you don't allow them access to your property and move any vehicles away from your driveway etc. there is absolutely nothing they can do. Their charges can be extortionate but eventually they will get bored and return the case to the Judgment Creditor and she will have to pay "abortive" fees - about £60 I believe. Remember HCEOs don't need to advise in advance in writing of their intended visit. So keep alert.

I think you have your hands full at home, be strong, do as advised and don't stress too much (although I know that's easier said than done).

I pay £1/month to my judgment creditor as a gesture of goodwill. I would make token payments each month as a sign of your goodwill then try to forget it!

Good luck and keep us updated if anything else happens and we will be here to advise.

Impecunious!:-)

As I know from my own experience, its relatively easy to get a judgment against you but enforcing that judgment can be almost impossible. You can't get blood out of a stone, so although your judgment creditor might want her pound of flesh immediately - tough cookies really! My outstanding CCJ is for almost £30,000 (won by default).

The judgment creditor should have done her homework about your financial cirumstances BEFORE she took you to Court, e.g. through an order to obtain information.

She can apply to the High Court for a Writ of Fi-Fa and then instruct HCEOs to enforce payment. However, if you don't allow them access to your property and move any vehicles away from your driveway etc. there is absolutely nothing they can do. Their charges can be extortionate but eventually they will get bored and return the case to the Judgment Creditor and she will have to pay "abortive" fees - about £60 I believe. Remember HCEOs don't need to advise in advance in writing of their intended visit. So keep alert.

I think you have your hands full at home, be strong, do as advised and don't stress too much (although I know that's easier said than done).

I pay £1/month to my judgment creditor as a gesture of goodwill. I would make token payments each month as a sign of your goodwill then try to forget it!

Good luck and keep us updated if anything else happens and we will be here to advise.

Impecunious!:-)

hiya well my car is a leased motability car so i guess they cant touch that but have taken note that i will not be letting thewm into my house and will be making sure windows and dsorrs are locked

I think you just have to mentally prepare yourself for a short-term seige! (Just in case HCEO's are engaged.)

Just make sure that you don't leave anything of value outside your property, eg. bikes, garden furniture, etc. You don't want any potential HCEOs to be able to levy on anything.

The judgment claimant does have other enforcement options at her disposal but I should imagine stands very little hope of being successful given your circumstances.

Due to your wife's condition, I should imagine that your household would come under the "vulnerable" status and this should also be to your advantage if you ever have to return to court etc.

Under the circumstances the judgment creditor should have accepted your offer of £10/month - big mistake on her part.

Don't let debt get you down, after all, someone said on here that it's just an entry on a ledger! You're the one in control of your finances and you decide how much you can afford to repay.

Good Luck!!

Impecunious! :-)

Hi

Impecunious has given you the low down on the HCEO - it is a simple matter to stop them should that be the course of action your Creditor chooses. If you have no assets then you can still apply for a Stay of Execution and ask that it be made absolute.

The other alternative not mentioned yet is that your Creditor could just employ the Court Bailiff - will cost her £100 to do so but generally they are amiable and will soon realise you have no assets worth seizing.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

I have been answering enquiries as best that I can for the past 4 years and there in nothing is more annoying that the provide good advice and then to hear nothing further from the original poster. You are clearly an exception and thank you for updating the forum. Hope things work out well for you and your family......

Hi guys what u all said was correct i did what you said she never came back just fort id update u all thank you so very much now i just hope me new case goes so well

Yes, I concur with TT. Great to hear updates. I'm glad it went well for you.

I stopped paying "goodwill token payments" to my creditor about 18 months ago and nothing has happened - so far. The sky hasn't fallen on my head and no further enforcement has been made. They literally can't get blood out of a stone.

Good luck with your new case.

Impecunious! :-)