NHS Student Busaries Mess- I have to leave my course now

redissert
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5091 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear All

This maybe long but here goes-

I started my course Sept 09 and have 2 young kids who go to nursery. The bursary pay 85% of costs for childcare. Everything was fine until I moved my daughters to their current nursery (3rd this yr). Forms filled in correctly etc- but someone at NHSB input them wrong and added it as an EXTRA childcare provider instead of a change. I got a large sum of money into my bank a few months ago and queried it. I was told that I had been backpaid as i had only been paid for ONE CHILD since Sept. I queried this is it did not sound right (on the same phonecall) and was re-assured the cash was mine. I spent the cash on paying a few debts off, but after talking to a fellow student about finances I rang again, as I was worrying. I was told that I had been paid for 2 C/C providers, and had that back-dated (why I have no idea as the new dates on the 3rd nursery form were only from 1st march when they started so why back-date as 2 c/c providers to Sept?!).

Anyway I spoke to several people on the phone including people in their overpayment and finance sections. I was told I would owe a sum which was £600 more than the actual lump sum overpayment so I queried this. However I now understand that that sum was the overpayment lump sum, any overpayment in the actual monthly childcare allowances I had received, and including money yet to be paid to me as I wanted to continue getting my entitlement to enable me to continue with my course so the remaining childcare payments would still be paid to me and I would owe this.

I have been dealing with a senior bursary officer for 2-3 wks by email going through all of this. Last week she told me I would get over £100 less per month than what 85% of the monthly costs are, despite being told by someone in a letter I would get £500+ per month for May-August (which is 85% or my £600+ costs). She told me I would get £430 per month instead as that was my ACTUAL yearly entitlement (what it should be now they have worked it all out), divided by 12. I complained at this as that was ANOTHER £100+ I had to find, and I also asked again how I appeal the original overpayment (as I was advised I could do and was within my rights to do by a member of their staff when the whole mess began). Today however she has replied saying I have been told wrong, bla bla, and now I will only get my basic bursary, ZERO c/c for the next 3 months, so that the amount I owe will be only £500+ instead of £1800 + (if being paid £430 a month for the next 3 months as stated last week) and £2100+ (if being paid the full 85% as stated a few weeks ago was fine to do).

Obviously this means I now have to leave my course meaning 18 months at college and all this time at uni, all the work, placement etc along with 2 small kids, is a waste. I cannot afford £600+ per month nursery fees alone, and that is only for 3.5hr per day, my mum has the kids the rest of the time (she works in the PM though so can't help out more no one else to help).

I am devatsted, I fuilly believe the lady I have spoken to has done this out of spite as I have emailed her so many times- she herself said only a week ago I would get £430 a month, I replied stating how I will be struggling with that and her reply is to cut that down to £0?!?! I am utterly digusted.

I am willing to take this further if it means I have lost my career and a future for my kids. I will fight it to the death. I am not saying I should not pay it- despite it being ALL their mistakes. I would appeal it (probably fail but feel better knowing I had tried as £2k ish debt on top of my current debts is horrendous!). I WOULD pay it back monthly from Sept as they stated if only it meant I could continue my course. But it seems she has the final say and is not willing to help me at all.

How can I take this further, please?

Sorry to hear this, I am having a similar issue but with student loans company.

I have my MP on the case now who is questioning the ability of the nhs bursary team as well as the slc.

What uni are you at ? Uni's offer crisis funds be it loan/grant. You could apply for this.

contact your mp and get them to take this up at a national ministerial level

Thank you. I have contacted my MP as well as NHSB (someone different, AGAIN!). Am going to ask uni tomorrow, try n speak to finance bit.

What has your MP done for you?

What's you issue if you don't mind me asking? Good Luck! I just can't see why NHSB would pay me bursary for nearly 2yrs and then see me leave and see their money come to nothing- no qualified nurse at the end of it!

WHY! xx

Thank you. I have contacted my MP as well as NHSB (someone different, AGAIN!). Am going to ask uni tomorrow, try n speak to finance bit.

What has your MP done for you?

What's you issue if you don't mind me asking? Good Luck! I just can't see why NHSB would pay me bursary for nearly 2yrs and then see me leave and see their money come to nothing- no qualified nurse at the end of it!

WHY! xx

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/227759-student-finance-local-education.html

Have a read lol, too much to explain really.

MP has written to the chief ex of my council, and the director of the SLC... also written to SBU (student bursary unit) to demand better clarity and help for degree students on finances.

She has also written to the Sec of state.