Halifax bank charges ***SETTLED IN FULL***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6437 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello to everyone on this site. Have just sent for the small claims law pack. Have already turned down halifax's pathetic offer and I am going to start court action when I get the law pack. As I have just come to this site I am unsure as to where I am and if I have done things in the right order (i have dealt with them over the phone so I might have messed thing up) Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Caz

I was owed £2,500 from Halifax - turned down the £120, turned down the £300, submitted my claim form online (moneyclaim.gov.uk) on 16 August (ie - last week), Halifax acknowledged it on 18th, and today I got a letter stating they'll give me a full refund (for "commercial reasons"). Well chuffed. Thanks to everyone at the consumeractiongroup.co.uk.

Best of luck (but you won't need it..):D

Tim

Hia Thanks for your reply. The only trouble is I am worried that after dealing with so much of it over the phone and turning down their last offer on July 19th by phone I have run out of time for claiming in court. If anyone has any advice I would be very grateful. Many thanks

Loads of advice on the FAQs on this website on how to do it. If I were you, I would read the FAQs, read the pack when it arrives, and follow all of the steps. It really isn't as daunting as it may feel at the moment.

I have read the FAQ's and confused myself even more (didn't realise how thick I was) What's confusing me now is that I have done all the work up to now on the phone and I don't know if I can start again doing it by letter also if there is a timescale from refusing there last offer to starting court proceedings. Have looked at the spreadsheet for calculating interest and nearly scared myself to death!!!!

Don't see it as 'starting again'. It sounds like you've given them every opportunity to settle by phoning them, and keeping it informal. However, they are not interested, and they have left you with no alternative. The next stage is to put it all in writing. By the sounds of it, you could either (a) write to them and tell them in no uncertain terms that you will be submitting a claim unless they settle in full within 14 days, or (b) just submit a claim. I wouldn't bother about the elapsed time.

But like I said before, there is a step-by-step process on the FAQs which is really helpful.

hi there, i too have recently wrote to halifax bank stating that they owe my £2,000 in bank charges, i have recently had a standard reply saying that they are sorry to learn that i am an an unhappy customer, and that they are now dealing with the request and hope to send me a reply as soon as possiable but no later than 4 weeks!!!i stated in my original letter that i want a reply within 2 weeks.. i will now wait for a reply if i dont receive it within the 14 days then i will send the 2nd letter.. i have found all these forums very very usefull and would never of even considered taking this big step had i not thought it would be successfull.. Please keep posting in your messages as they are all a massive help and i will keep you informed as how my situation is going.

Good luck to all...

Jazz

Hi everyone - sorry if this is the wrong section to ask this but I'm new to postings and forums. I'm attempting to claim off Halifax (and HSBC), have read all the FAQ diligently and written my first letters to request data information about my account charges. Couple of questions though:

1) Do I need to send £10 per account (2 with the Halifax) to cover the charge for my data information request or just £10 per bank?

2) When I get the list of events for which I've been charged, e.g. "exceeding agreed overdraft", will they detail the monetary cost of each one? I've not kept records of their charging policies for the last 6 years!

Many thanks - your site's v. inspirational!

Hia I just thought that after reading through everything in the FAQ's and other posts most people seemed to accept the offer as partial payment and then start court proceedings for the full amount (sorry to appear thick but I have never used a forum or done anything like this before) I think I may have to forget about the interest as I have an overdraft so I pay interest on that and I cannot figure out how to seperate the interest charges.

ps. This site is amazing and there will definately be a donation when I get my money back

Hia I just thought that after reading through everything in the FAQ's and other posts most people seemed to accept the offer as partial payment and then start court proceedings for the full amount (sorry to appear thick but I have never used a forum or done anything like this before) I think I may have to forget about the interest as I have an overdraft so I pay interest on that and I cannot figure out how to seperate the interest charges.

ps. This site is amazing and there will definately be a donation when I get my money back

You can accept the offer as a down payment, doesn't matter if you dont though, you should still get the full whack.

As for the interest, the complex speadsheet in the library will work this out for you.

Crusher :D

1) Do I need to send £10 per account (2 with the Halifax) to cover the charge for my data information request or just £10 per bank?

you only need £10 per bank

2) When I get the list of events for which I've been charged, e.g. "exceeding agreed overdraft", will they detail the monetary cost of each one? I've not kept records of their charging policies for the last 6 years!

you will get a load of statements, and you wil have to wade through them yourself.

Crusher :D

Thanks Crusher - you're a star! This is addictive... I've only just found out about this in the early hours of this morning and as soon as I'm back from work I'm online again! Have spent the day spreading the word too... Will be sure to keep everyone informed of my progress.

I did start a thread off somewher but I've lost it. I'm on the cusp of sending my moneyclaim form off, the Halifax have had their opportunity to cough up, and those lovely people at NatWest gave me a brand new bank account today, so I'll be ending my relationship with HBOS very soon.

It's encouraging to see someone get paid in a week though!!!

:)

Hia again. I have a couple more questions. I am trying to start the spreadsheet to calculate the interest but it keeps deleting the start of my account number as it begins with a 0. Also can I add on any more charges that I have had since i started the claim

Would be grateful of any advice

Caz

Excel looks at what you enter and formats it to suit. Beginning a number entry with a zero automatically formats to numeric, and hides leading zeros. If you strt the entry with a single quote ' it will show the zero.

Thanks for your help. I am now starting mcol and I have copied the hard copy version for how to fill in the form. I was wondering in 5a do I put the total amount ie the total cost of the charges plus the interest plus the court costs or do I just put the total for the costs of charges. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated

many thanks

Thanks and sorry for bothering you again but I am very new to all this. When I ticked the box saying do you wish to reserve the right to claim interest a pop up box came up saying

Do you want to reserve the right to claim interest?

Since you have indicated that you wish to claim interest on the money the defendant owes you, you must include the following text in the particulars of your claim:

The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from {date when the money became owed to you} to {the date you are issuing the claim} of £ {put the amount} and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of {enter the daily rate of interest}. Do i still have to include this text as I have used the text from the hard copy in FAQ's. Also how do I work out the daily rate of interest.

Many thanks

K, and no problem about asking stuff, feel free to ask whatever you want, (I'm not saying I'll be able to answer everything tho')

:)

The money claim form has very limited space and formatting capabilities, so you have to edit the text carefully. I'll paste mine so you can see what I did with it. You really should include the added info if you are claiming interest, and you should. The interest rate is 8%, this is stated in the rider and on the template.xls sheet. By filling in the relevant info on the spreadsheet it should calculate your interest and total it, so you want your charges+interest as your claim figure. You can edit out the phrase "or earlier payment at a daily rate of {enter the daily rate of interest}".