style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5151 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,I am new in this forum:),i just received today a letter(from equita bailiffs) for council tax,in the letter they writing :i have attend today with the intention of removing your goods and chattlets as are necessary to discharge the outstanding counsil tax liability order and any additional enforcement costs incurred.i will re-attend at your address with immediate effect and may remove goods even in your absence.should you wish to avoid this distressing course of action,contact me immediately...,payment due in full-24 hours),i called to council tax,they told me that i have to pay £271.22 outstanding (i did't paid for council tax for 3 months,because was unemployed and i still not working full time now,just few days per week).so please could you give me some advise?shall i call to council tax and ask them to let me pay monthly,o i must call to bailiffs and deal with them?thanks

the baliff will only be able to remove goods once he has levied against goods if you let him into your home he can levy, so under no circumstances allow him in you dont have to.... if he forces his way in call the police.... if he comes in he will want you to sign a walking possession order which means he can come back and break into your home and remove goods that he has levied against, try not to sign the order..... you can write to the baliff saying you are aware of your rights and wont let the baliff into your home... I think the fact you are not in full time employment gives you certain rights as well , other in the know people on here will be able to advise you in more detail. the baliff will add costs to the council tax.. he has attended only once so he can only by law add about £25 to the bill as costs,

If you read through a few threads on this forum that have similar circumstances to yourself you will see what you can and cant do and what a baliff can and cant do...

hope that helps

Hi mrijus and welcome.

As westgarth has mentioned, you don't have to let the bailiff in. Neither do you need to speak with the bailiff. But please be very aware that the bailiff will try and lie, cheat and trick his/her way in. If you are able, you can pay some money to the council directly using either online or telephone payments.

If you speak to the council direct then they will usually tell you that you have to deal with the bailiff. This is not the case.

Also be aware that the bailiff can make a levy on items outside your home that he can gain reasonable access to. For example your car or garden furniture.

I note that you are on a very low income. This may help but, on it's own, is not necessarily a strong argument. Is there anything else you can tell me about your circumstances? Any special reasons, perhaps, as to why you work only a few days per week?

I'm sure others will come along in due course with further advice.

Best wishes.

Rae.

Did you inform the council that you were unemployed for the times they have tried to charge you? If not then I suggest you write to them stating this. Where you on any benefits at this time if so send in proof, you may find that they will take back the debt so they can investigate this.

Thanks everyone,i called to council today again,they told me to speak with bailiff,and pay to bailiff,not to council,(i read in this forum that is better to pay to council not to bailiff,so why council saying me to make payments to bailiff?)all day i tried to call to bailiff,he did not answer me,and did not call me back!i working in construction,so now is very hard to find job for longer time,for this year i spend lot of time not working (i am self-employed)if i found a job through agency's ,you finished this,and staying with out it again, until find another,(in past 2 months i only was working 2.5 weeks) tried to get job seekers allowance(i was not working for 2 months)but they send me a letter that they cannot pay,because i have more money coming in than the law says i need to live on(they used the tax years 2008-2009,then i was working much more then this year 2009-2010)i only get 25% off for my council tax,as i living alone in flat,i phoned today to job center to claim for job seeker allowance again,on tuesday i have appointment with them.and i will try to get housing benefits,(because i can't to pay for my rent any more)but i thing they will send me a same letter that i am have to much money :).

Hi mrijus, have sent you a Private Message. [Note to Caggers, it was regarding a personal issue].

If you speak to the council direct the chances are very high you will speak to someone with either no knowledge or no authority to act. You will invariably be referred back to the bailiff. This is why all contact should be done in writing to the head of the relevant department.

Do keep us posted on your benefit situation as this will be quite relevant.

Best wishes

Rae.