need help with household bills debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5152 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

can any 1 help me 5 years ago i was in alot ov mess my ex left and he left me in a lot ov debt IE council tax, rent, water, gas, elec when he left i found myself in even more trouble having to borrow money from 1 place to pay some where else until 3 years ago when i met my now husband

i started getting my debt off and doing it well untill i fell ill a year and half ago i was in intensive care but for 6 months i was ill and to be honest and i know its stupid i just didnt do anything didnt really pay bills nothing.

So the circle started again now am playing catch up british gas are now taking £32 a week off me through my meter and i cant afford it council tax needs paying from last year as i am still paying from the year befor and little things here and there i have had baliffs banging on the door so am finding it hard now.

good news is nearly got my rent paid off and water but thats it.

Can any1 please help me

Edited by Jessi
just adding

Ok, well I know that all bills are a priority to pay,but I would strongly suggest you contact the council/bailiff and agree on a monthly payment you can afford, so that they do not proceed any further. If you do not pay your council tax, this is serious, and you need to make some kind of payment to keep them at bay.

With regards to your electricity, if you cannot afford the £32 a month, contact them, and agree on an affordable payment. Negotiate that little bit more, explain your hardship and situation and see what they say. If not, look into using other companies that may be cheaper for you.

hi thanks for the advice i am ringing the council on tuesday to try and sort something out.

as for british gas i have begged and pleaded with them but they wont i asked them to put me meters in i thought i was paying the debt but because i didnt know they dent a letter a few months later saying that they made a mistake and now i must pay £32 a week off the debt and i just dont no what else to do they wont let me move and they wont let me reduce my payments

i just dont no what to do

OK, I would suggest you put together and income and expenditure. Within your expenditure make a list of your priority payments, such as council tax arrears and £32 a week for electricity, as well as your normal monthly direct debits/payments.

Once everything is in black and white you will see how much you really can afford, and look into areas where you could cut back. i.e if you have a mobile, if you have insurances etc, that you could cut back on to pay your priority bills.

Let me know how you get on x