'outstanding Debt' Equifax Credit Search

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5121 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm trying to sort out my finances and have a terribly low credit rating.

There are a few late payments on file.

I also have a default (apparently) which I am in the process of addressing.

However, I thought, nothing to justify the ridiculously low rating I have, until I saw some 'credit searches' (apparently visable to all) stating 'outstanding debt'.

There are 3 in total, 2 of which refer to a name I have not used for over 8 years. A google search of the companies tells me they are debt collection agencies.

I am reluctant to contact them as I am worried that by doing so will acknowledge I have debt with them (In all honesty the likely hood is I have (made some big mistakes in my youth)).

I keep seeing the term 'statute barred' (on forums etc) and would assume, that at least 2 of the debts would fall under this, but I'm not 100 % sure.

Is there anyway I can find out what status these debts are at without 'acknowledging' them? If they have been dormant for 6 years, what do I do? Can I get these searches removed from my file, thus improving my rating?

If they are not 'statute barred' would contacting these debt collection agencies mean they'll start sending me letters out of the blue, banging on my door etc etc.

Is the only way to get rid of them paying them off (once I find out what and how much they are for). Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

Write to the CRA and dispute the searches, state clearly that you have not given these companies permission to search your credit file and they do not have permission to process your data.

If they write back refusing to remove the searches, you need to find out exactly what they were for and if they are SB. If they are SB write to the CRA informing them of this.

In my experiance so far most of the CRA play ball and at least write to those concerned regarding searches/listings on your credit file. If they don't reply (which they often don't) they will remove the listing/searches.

I was in a similiar situation, with 3 debt collection searches recorded against me. I disputed the searches with Equifax, they wrote to the companies concerned, didn't receive a reply so removed the searches (after 21 days).

I think DCAs are very unlikely to reply to the CRA if the debt is statute barred. Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I did as suggested, one wrote back (they have recorded 2 searches) apparently a debt was sold to them in 2007.... it was from an overdraft I had in 2001/2002. I checked my bank history and had been making a token payment up until Feb 2007... then the S/O just disappears, not heard a thing since.

Any ideas? Still nervous to contact them as apart from commenting on my credit file... they have not chased me for it.

Thanks in advance