• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Smiths V Nationwide - Nationwide Paying Up!!! Yipeeee!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6091 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic - good for you! That's very encouraging as we have just had our claim acknowledged yesterday by the Nationwide. Ours is for £7k incl. interest so it's great to see someone with a bigger claim getting paid :)

So did you suceed???

x

Got mine back too !! Only £479 but it's fab . The bad news is they have notified me that they are closing ALL my accounts at the end of the month . Just sent a letter to the Banking Ombudsman to complain . Thanks to all who helped . I will be donating ! Lizj

Guest xipetotec46

Just sent a letter to the Banking Ombudsman to complain . Thanks to all who helped . I will be donating ! Lizj

Hi Lizj

First complain to the CEO Nationwide he already knows about the ruling of FOS and A&L, cos I informed him>

His email address is:

Philip Williamsom

[email protected]

or if you want to write

Nationwide Head Office in Swindon

Nationwide Building Society

Nationwide House

Pipers Way

Swindon

SN38 1NW

Then inform Miles Chapman at "WHICH" [email protected]

This is the reply to the letter I sent to him about Nationwide

Many thanks for this information.

We've suspected that some banks are taking this action, and to be frank it's appalling.

Thanks for the 'heads up' it's really helpful.

Kind Regards,

Miles Chapman

Which?

Thank you for your reply . I have already written to the Banking Ombudsman and to Which . Do you think I ought to write to Nationwide as well ? I did ring them when they wrote to close my accounts and was told " It is Nationwide's policy to close the acounts of anyone who takes us to court " Sounds like retaliation to me !!

Guest xipetotec46

[quote name='lizj']Thank you for your reply . I have already written to the Banking Ombudsman and to Which . Do you think I ought to write to Nationwide as well ? I did ring them when they wrote to close my accounts and was told " It is Nationwide's policy to close the acounts of anyone who takes us to court " Sounds like retaliation to me !![/quote]

Hi again

Since my reply to you my daughter-in-law has passed me a letter informing her that her account will be closed on 12 March, I claimed back only £80 for her through the small claims track none of these charges she was responsible for yet Nationwide would not Credit her despite one charge being their fault and the others were the fault of NTL claiming D/D's before the due date. I spoke to Member account services at Nationwide and their intransigence astounded me, I emailed their CEO Phillip Williamson (I thought I would mither him as he is responsible for the Nationwide policy) informing him of the situation and asking for a letter of deadlock so I may complain to the Financial Ombudsman, I have now just informed BBC Watchdog BBC - Consumer - TV and radio who will be very interested I think and Next I will send a complaint to Financial Services Authority. we need to keep the pressure on Nationwide email the CEO and give him some stick.

Baz

I didn't ask for a letter of deadlock - I just wrote to the Ombudsman informing him of the situation . I told him that I had called tha bank and that they wouldn't budge . What upset me most is that they closed a joint account in the names of my husband and myself which is managed my him and he has never had a bank charge in his life !! I will let you know if I hear anything . Liz

• 2 weeks later...

HOW DID YOU DO THIS?!!! Its fantastic. I have written to nationwide claiming my £6500 (inc 8% interest), and they have said no, so sent my third letter threatening court action and they have just written back basically telling me to get lost!!! I suppose I will have to fill out a court form is it? Did your claim actually go to court or did they settle just before? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

OMG OMG OMG I'm in shock. It does work, and these advisors aren't crazy! Lol.

Total claim £11,247.00

• Data Protection Act letter sent 06/06/06
  • Prelim Letter 24/07/06

(LBA not sent as they charged me another £750 last month and wouldnt negotiate 2 days for me to get the money in the bank so I threw a hissy fit and went straight to the moneyline stage, willingly handing over the £250 fee)

• Moneyline claim 10/8/06
  • Acknowledgement of Service 14/8/06

22/08/06 - Payment into account - £250.00

23/08/06 - Payment into account - £9,080.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Presumably they'll pay the rest today or tommorrow. I'm over the moon. All those jitters were worth it. Keep going everybody, if they can pay me back £11,000 then they are admitting that they cant justify their charges. I might even claim back the £750 they charged me last month now lol. (New acc with Lloyds opening tommorrow.)

Many many thanks to Dolly for all you support and advice. We will hand over 5% gladly and thankfully.

(Not sure what to do about the court now though, I see there is a customer helpline phone number on the Moneyline site, will give them a call.)

Could Dolly or a Moderator please contact me for details of how I can hand over some of this lovely lolly :)) x x x xx xx

POPPY07

Guest xipetotec46

(New acc with Lloyds opening tommorrow.)

Hi Nursiepoos can't help thinking you are jumping out of the Frying Pan into the fire with LLoyds.

Well done. I sent the letter asking for the money (£150) to be in my account for next Wed to my own branch. I doubt somehow it will get in my account by Wed. What is the next step?

Also I am a bit concerned as between my accounts I have £2500 worth of overdrafts and a nationwide loan. What is the liklihood of me getting a letter to shut my accounts?

Well done. I sent the letter asking for the money (£150) to be in my account for next Wed to my own branch. I doubt somehow it will get in my account by Wed. What is the next step?

Also I am a bit concerned as between my accounts I have £2500 worth of overdrafts and a nationwide loan. What is the liklihood of me getting a letter to shut my accounts?

Nationwide apparently have been closing accounts a lot. However, the Ombudsman has fined another bank for an closing account as it was a retaliatory action, so maybe Nationwide will be bearing that in mind and changing their behaviour. Unfortunately, they may well withdraw your overdrafts, but if they do complain to the ombudsman as that would surely also be a purely retaliatory action.

Smile - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 28th Sept 2006

Full claim of £2004.25 paid into account 7th December 2006, 00:09

Just wanted to say that I've been helping a friend out and Nationwide paid up yesterday (2 weeks after court papers were deemed served), all charges and all interest totalling £3623.89. They have written advising of this refund but have not said they are closing the account.

Hi Poppy07, thanks for your message. It all seems so long ago now, it was last year that i got all that lovely cash back from Nationwide (and its all gone now lol!). Please be reassured that it DOES work and you WILL get your money back, just keep following the system advised on this site. Nationwide sent me a letter basically saying get lost too, just ignore it and go to the next stage. It cost me £250 on Moneyclaim online to sue Nationwide for £11,270.00 but about a week after i received my Acknowledgement of Service (a document sent to you from the court) the money started being paid into my account, in amounts of £250 over 2 days and i got every penny back, although they did close my account after 30 days so make sure you have another account ready. Its no hassle making a few phone calls to change over any D/Debits etc.

Good Luck and stick with it, its real scary but it works!! They ALWAYS back down.

Nursiepoos x x x

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi all,

Ive finally worked out how to post a thread :smile: lol. Have just paid £250 via the Moneyline court system to claim back the £11+k i've been charged by Nationwide over the last 6 years. Could you all please cross your fingers for me :grin: . Nationwides reply to my claim was that I agreed to their terms and conditions so tough...so as I couldnt pop down the the high street and thump the branch manager I had to proceed to court. Will keep you all posted. Good luck everyone :-)

have you actually managed to get a copy of your terms and conditons as I havent?

muffintop

Won Nationwide £900 and £1908 Bank Charges

Lloyds personal account 1,861

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Abbey bank acc. Stayed 2008

CCA requested Barclaycard Nov 08 - n1 issued - GAVE UP

CCA Mbna Nov 08- n1 issued - GAVE UP

Marks and Spencer Money Nov 08 -lost found 2b enforceable.

Tomson Holiday - WON

if I help you tip my little scales it gives me a thrill. MT

Hi Poppy07, thanks for your message. It all seems so long ago now, it was last year that i got all that lovely cash back from Nationwide (and its all gone now lol!). Please be reassured that it DOES work and you WILL get your money back, just keep following the system advised on this site. Nationwide sent me a letter basically saying get lost too, just ignore it and go to the next stage. It cost me £250 on Moneyclaim online to sue Nationwide for £11,270.00 but about a week after i received my Acknowledgement of Service (a document sent to you from the court) the money started being paid into my account, in amounts of £250 over 2 days and i got every penny back, although they did close my account after 30 days so make sure you have another account ready. Its no hassle making a few phone calls to change over any D/Debits etc.

Good Luck and stick with it, its real scary but it works!! They ALWAYS back down.

Nursiepoos x x x

I wonder if things have changed with Nationwide since last year when you went through your claim, as they dont seem to be paying back before the 28 day period now my od has been taken away and i wonder what dirty trick they will do next.had no aq form yet either.

muffintop

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Tomson Holiday - WON

Guest xipetotec46
have you actually managed to get a copy of your terms and conditons as I havent?

When I made a claim on behalf of my DIL they sent a copy of terms and conditions, I read it and recycled it, from start to finish the claim took 5 weeks but I only claimed £80 for her, she only had the account open for 4 months. they said they would close her account on 12th March but it is still open, I threatened them with the BOS if it goes to them they have to pay £250 to the BOS Banking Ombudsman Service,for investigating the complaint and compensation of £125 if they find they were acting vindictive which they were. still not received letter of deadlock from N/Wide to escalate it to the BOS so while the account is still open I can't do anything as there is no complaint.

Hey Nursiepoos! I got my money back Friday - Yay!!! Its lovely isn't it?!!! I split my claim into two though as I thought you couldn't claim more than 5k, so now I'm going through the court process again with nationwide for another 3k!!! Should have my money in about 25days if last time was anything to go by. Its like a saving scheme!!! Thanks for your help and reassurance.

POPPY07

Nationwide didn't reond to initial letter, or to LBA, filed paers with court, and wednesday is the final day for their response, so anxious.

Tell me did you get any resonse from before the final date after filing at court?

Blidge

Nursiepoos - have you still got an account with them? Every time they have said that they intend to defend the money starts going into the account within a day or so, so if you have, please check it :)

I see you were very helpfull to nurseypoos, I wonder if you have any advise for me, Im around 8k in bank charges to claim back 2k at a time. got two onthe go, nationwide Mr Bacon has said they intend to defend both claims but not had any money going back into my accounts and only 14 days left for their defense (if it goes according to plan).

Im worried they know something I dont, I didnt use a standard template for the bank charges, I made one up myself with date, statement number, charge what it was for etc, do you think im missing something?

muffintop

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Tomson Holiday - WON

Hi there, you shouldn't have anything to worry about! I split my claim into two, my first claim was submitted and a few days later Nationwide responded stating they were going to defend, however if you read the other threads they never do - the money was in my account the day before their 28 days were up which is pretty standard. You got another 10 - 14 days wait then you should have your money! Yay!!!

POPPY07