• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)Info and discussion thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3893 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

spoken to barclays just now for my Career Development loan,

she says in the bottom of that paragraph in any of the contracts with barclays, they are stated you signed in the dotted line that you are liable to pay every penny for this course even if the course FAILS to carry on.

With regards to this I have read through my Barclays Finance agreement paperwork and I saw this

"If you recieved unsatisfactory goods or services paid for under this agreement you may have the right to sue the suppier, us or both."

and

"If the contract is not fulfilled, perhaps because the supplies has gone out of business, you may still be able to sue us"

Looks like it may be that I paid my loan off in October last year to avoid doubling my initial amount

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, Just got the paperwork from my dad.

I took out a Barclays Partner Finance, It says Retailer name is Advent Consulting LTD, and it also says under Key Information.

Now does that affect me, As i paid off this loan in November 2009, And/Or is the supplier Advent?

My paperwork is similar however I got a personal loan not a career development loan - is there a difference between the two?

Just to let everyone know, Im going to Citizens Advice today to see what they say, I will be showing them the signed documents i have and will also tell them the notice on Advents website saying Barclays pulled the funding.

Will let anyone know in the same situation as me (Barclays Partner Finance) what they say

That would be great as I couldn't get down to them today!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure whether this has been covered in the thread (40 pages is alot to read)

I was thinking earlier about how barclays are trying to provide us with alternate training.

How would Barclays know what course each student is on?

I have looked over my paperwork for barclays and there is no disclosure information there telling me that they know about what I am doing with advent - surely if they have this information it is in breach of the data protection act?

" We will send you either a final response or a detailed report on our" progress within eight weeks

I got this in writing from Barclays dated 4/2/10 so I guess they'll make us wait as long as they can :sad:

For a regulated complaint thats the correct timescales

• 2 weeks later...

Ive just recieved my 4 week regulatory letter from Barclays telling me they are still investigating into my complaint.

My experience tells me (I used to work with endowment complaints) that they have another 4 weeks or I can go to the FOS for non-compliance of FSA guidelines.

Barclays actually managed to reply to my letter, and I received another bland reply yesterday (Saturday). Assured me that they are fully investigating my complaint and will 'contact you by 9 March with a detailed response. You may at this stage refer the matter to the Finance and Leasing Association (FLA)'.

Hmmmm.....looking at the FLA's website it doesn't look like they have any teeth to resolve this, just act as go-between. It says they can't offer legal advice or enforce any action on Barclays so I'm pretty suspicious this is a fob-off bollocks/red herring!:x

I'll go to the Financial Ombudsman, though I have to wait out a another 4 weeks before they can step in on a complaint. Barclays aren't going to squirm out of this!

my understanding of this is that for any regulated complaints the company has upto 8 weeks to deal with the issues raised. However should the company respond and you are unhappy with the result before the 8 weeks are up you can then take it to the FOS.

If you have to go to the FOS ensure you have copies of EVERYTHING you have sent and recieved to BPF.

hi there cjclegg, just recieved my letter from free legal advice and that is all it is just a letter. i thought they would take up my case but it does not look like they will. cost £20 which is not too expensive but it is just a letter. i will send it to bpf and hope it does the trick, if not i will have to seek legal advice elsewhere. if anyone wants the draft letter send me your email address to [email protected] and i will forward it as soon as i can. don't pay for it.

Thats incredibly generous of you Mantaxi. Thank you - an email has been sent :)

• 2 weeks later...
Update!!!! They are still in talks with buyers unlike the last letter that had us believe they were already concluded and everything was arranged.

Barclays blamed for the collapse of training firms | Mail Online

Interesting that the second comment on that pages refers to a caseworker who used S75 to clear the debts with barclays but more importantly comment 4!

Comment 2 "I am a debt caseworker and i for one is very glad Barclays has pulled the plug, far too often this companies train people for worthless courses and then go bust leaving the client with a £5000 debt to pay for a course they cannot complete.

We have had to fight Barclays on section 75 of the CCA to get the debt written off"

Comment 4

"Barclay have been promising training for months. Troubled students should seek help from Trading Standards or CAB. There is a video online about this called "Barclays Partner Finance Refunds Section 75". Google will find it for you."

I do have another point - with XP support shortly being dropped by Microsoft where does that leave our study plans?

With Windows 7 now being the jewel in the MS crown we need to be studying towards relevant qualifications.

Its no use studying to be a steam train mechanic if all the modern trains run on diesel.

Surely we can use this as well?

Do computeach provide all the same services that advent did?

I'm sure barclays have wormed into some sort of loophole and thats why they picked them.

If I recieve a letter saying its computeach I wont be accepting it thats for sure.

Savarok go back to the list of threads at the very bottom check out "COMPUTEACH! OR WILL THEY" Someone wanting a refund from them Oh !!and they're also financed by Barclay's Partner Finance.

Theres no chance I want CT as my provider, infact the only provider and training classes I need are my local waterstones for the books and my desk to study on!

Just following on from my post about us studying out of date courses.

I contact Microsoft yesterday and I was told that the MSCE certification will be retired later this year and that we should be working towards MCITP Enterprise Administrator.

So I definately think this is another area that falls under us being miss-sold the training.

I got my generic letter today (with free spelling mistakes) informing me that I should speak to Computeach.

I will do no such thing - what a joke. I looked into CT before I chose Advent and they were uninteresting in what I was asking. Why on earth would I want to take a step backwards on this.

I've not had a response to my S75 letters yet apart from they are investigating it and I will be due an answer on 1st of April.

I get the feeling the that I'm going to be made a fool of on that date.

The only route to a refund is that we DID NOT CHOOSE Computeach and therefore should get our money back, however I don't think any judge will give a full refund to someone who has been enrolled on a distance learning course for 12 + months and hasnt even sat an exam yet.....

I have been working progressively through my course and I 'was' on track for completing within 3 years, my problem was Advent won me through with the recruitment division they use.

I liased regular with them and they did contact me almost weekly with jobs in my area so I do believe this did work. Clearly I knew they would never guarantee me a position but if you keep knocking eventually I would get a job.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3893 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks