• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

rowly_c vs Egg/Apex/Natwest

rowly_c
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5143 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

this is a long story so i appoligise in advance.

Approx 8 years ago i had a large number of debts with different debtors, and started a DMP with CCCS, CCCS calculated the money i could afford to repay my debt and this was equally distributed to the debtors, at this point CCCS informed me that the interest had been frozen and i was paying a fixed sum to them for approx 4 years and received a monthly statements showing me balnce decreasing each month, after this 4 years had passed my balance was less than £20,000 and i remortgaged my house to to raise the £20,000 but when i phoned the debtors many of them had not frozen the interest and i then owed more than the original balance shown on my CCCS statements.

I managed to negoiate with some of them to accept a payment in full and final payment, excuse me if this isn't the correct term, and was left with an egg loan, an egg credit card and a NatWest credit card.

I have been paying these direct to the companies and have not used CCCS, i was not happy with them as you can imagine.

NatWest have been fine, i sent them a break down of my expenditure etc, agreed a fixed fee and have been paying that for approx 3 years, i have not been chased and recieve a statement each month showing my payment and my balance decreasing.

egg on the other hand have not been so good to deal with, they did agree to freeze the interest when I contacted them direct but told me that they could not remove the interest charge over the previous 4 years or so, then about 12 months they sold my debt to a debt collection agency, when i phoned them to ask why they told me i had not sent an update of my expenditure so they had sold the debt, they agreed to take it back and honer the agreement if I increased my monthly payment, so i agreed to pay an additional £10 per month.

This week i have received a letter from apex credit management which reads as follows.

Dear

Egg banking plc

Account number: --------

Balance:£3,945.05

With reference to your above mentioned account with Egg, please accept this letter as official notification that Apex Credit Management Ltd has purchased your account and all rights, interest and claims in respect of all amounts outstanding on this account as of 9th September 2009 have been assigned to Apex Collections Limited.

Your account became active with Apex Credit Management ltd on 6 November 2009 and therefore all future discussions regarding the repayment of this debt must be directly with Apex Credit Management Ltd.

Apex Credit Management Ltd is now the data controller of your personal data contained within the records of this account. Your personal data will be used for the purposes of collecting the outstanding balance from you and may also be combined with other data which may be obtained from third parties where we need to verify or supplement such data.

We are aware that you already have an existing arrangement with Egg, it is therefore imperative that you contact one of our telephone negotiators, on 0871 224 2812 to update your details in order for us to set up a new arrangement with ourselves. Alternatively you may administer your account online at https://myapexcm.co.uk/ using your Apex reference number.

Thank you in anticipation of your assistance.

Yours Sincerely,

Rob Franklin

Collections Manager.

I am really dispondent now, i hate the whole having to justify my expenditure and just want it all to go away, I was paying every month without fail but that was not good enough. :o(

Can anyone please help? I have read that the debt may unforcable because it was taken out before a certain date, I really dont have a clue what to do and although I have seen some templates on here i'm not sure which ones are applicable to my situation.

any help would be greatly appriecated.

thank you in advance.

Me too..Same date as well..

After being made redundant I had an agreement started in June with Egg allowing me to pay £1 a month for the next 6 months, (thus ending in December) but like the above posters I received a letter from Apex, so Egg have clearly decided to end this agreement.

A few questions:-

1) Should I have been sent a default notice ? (I was sent one back in April, but I phoned up and agreed a payment plan and it was remedied). I'm assuming that a CRA check will show if i have actually been defaulted.

2) Can Egg end the agreement with me despite the fact that I have kept to it and paid the agreed amount every month.

3) Should I respond to Apex ? (I was paying Egg and the DD is still setup but obviously Apex now want the money but I feel it is time to put an end to this).

Note: I have previously requested my CCA and like many others it is questionable as it has the 'Approved Limit' term. The fact that Egg are suddenly busy selling these debts maybe shows that they are now not to sure about their enforcibilty.

Perhaps someone could post or link to the default/assignment process so I can check it has been adhered to.

Andy

Edited by andydd

Hi,

I wasnt sent a default notice, and i am considering writing to Egg to tell them this, i have sent a CCA request to APEX but in my haste i didnt send the £1, i did to Egg though, I'm waiting to see if anyone can help me on my thread so i will keep a keen eye on yours too!

I have just read a fantastic thread on here from someone who used to work for a DC company, have a read it opens your eyes to the on goings of these companies!

Hi,

I have just read a fantastic thread on here from someone who used to work for a DC company, have a read it opens your eyes to the on goings of these companies!

Where is the thread, I would like to read that.

• 3 months later...

Hi, APEX have now contacted me again and I need some help what to do next, letters are attached.

Also for info I had agreed with EGG that my interest would be frozen, the screen dump shows that it had not and they have actually still been charging me! also the balance on the APEX letter is £800 more than the balance on the screen dump which I stopped paying 4 months ago.

Getting really stressed out about this now and would really appreciate some help.

Thanks.

img003blank.jpg

img004blank.jpg

img005.jpg

img006.jpg

img007.jpg

I suspect you aren't getting much help because thing are a little up in the air at the moment after the 'Carey v Hsbc' case and reconstructed agreements.

I would suggest spending £10 on a full data access request and a further £1 on a cca request. The £10 should give you all the information held on you and the £1 will probably produce what looks like a compliant agreement that could have been reconstructed by egg or Apex.

Until you find out if you have a case simply pay what you want to who you want and don't worry. You are very unlikely to be taken to court if you are making regular payments.

It does seem that egg are trying hard to get these accounts sold at citibank are trying to offload this loss making arm. If you can afford it now would be a good time to offer a full and final settlement figure at around 40%

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

I received a letter today that says,

TAKE NOTICE - Unless you make payment on this debt within 10 days Legal Action may be taken against you or the property.

Information about POTENTIAL Legal Action

County Court Judgement - We may apply to the courts for a CCJ against you.

Once this is obtained it will remain on your personal credit file for 6 years and declares that you are liable to pay the outstanding debt.

Warrant of Execution - A Court Enforcement Officer (Bailiff) wili be assigned to attend your address and remove goods from your property to the value of the outstanding debt.

Attachment of Earnings - A Court Order wili aliow us to apply direct to your employer and take money from your salary before it is paid to you.

Charging Order - The total outstanding debt wili be secured against your property.

Please take note that all of the above legal action will result in additional costs and fees being levied to your account.

If you are unable to pay your account in full please contact us immediately on 0871 244 2812

I am not sure what to do now, I have requested a CCA and have posted the response letters to this earlier in the thread, I am not making any payments and I have not sent an account in dispute letter, I don't even know where I would get one or what to write!!

Getting to the point where I might pay one of those Companies to do all of this for me. :o(

Your help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

Just to put your mind at ease??

I have been getting these letters thick and fast from APEX, i sent them a letter to there CHIEF WHOEVER OR WHATEVER he is (obviously they are trying to use scarey names now!)

Saying that you can have this token amount like it or lump it, basically you have an unenforceable agreement that is in dispute but i am prepared to offer you £1 per month as a token payment!! They had sent me a letter before this one i sent them asking for a SOA i said 'no you are not the original creditor so you have no right to ask for it.....i am still waiting for a reply, thank god its BH weekend and NO POSTMAN :-| i dread him now!!

Regards

Littleme

• 3 weeks later...

I have received another letter today which says

We regret that you have chosen not to contact Apex credit management despite our previous communication endeavouring to assist you in coming to a satisfactory arrangement to settle this account.

Given your refusal to discuss this matter over the telephone and or make appropriate payments, we have now decided to assess your account for suitability to be passed to our 'doorstep' collection agent who may visit your home to discuss repayment of the debt.

Apex send the "we regret you have chosen not to contact us" letter out like confetti - even when you have written to them. I suppose the problem is you havent uttered their magic words "here's a cheque for what you say I owe".

Its almost certainly just anothe threat that they wont act on, but can be pretty sure that it will upset you (it has? :(). But as an insurance work through this http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/591-dca-home-visit-if-you-receive-or-are-threatened-with-a-doorstep-visit- send them the letter referred to (there's a link) and if (BIG if) they follow through on the threat follow the instructions on the page. Almost certain though its just a threat.

Can anyone help??

You need to use the other thread (What I think is wrong with Egg credit agreements) to compose a letter to apex disputing the debt.

Basically there are a raft of arguments that agreements like yours are unenforceable.

Don't worry about the threatograms too much just yet, we've all had similar.

Was your Egg account terminated in 2008?

You need to use the other thread (What I think is wrong with Egg credit agreements) to compose a letter to apex disputing the debt.

Basically there are a raft of arguments that agreements like yours are unenforceable.

Don't worry about the threatograms too much just yet, we've all had similar.

Was your Egg account terminated in 2008?

I'm not sure what the definition of terminated is or whether mine was, it was being handled by CCCS originally some 8 years ago, the following link explains in a bit more detail the history.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/231883-egg-debt-has-been.html#post2569781

I'm not sure what the definition of terminated is or whether mine was, it was being handled by CCCS originally some 8 years ago, the following link explains in a bit more detail the history.

Many Egg Credit Card accounts were ended in 2008 (illegally incidentally) even though they weren't in default.

Yours won't be one of those - unfortunately.

You need to read the Egg related threads and make yourself familiar with the various arguments you can use to fight creditors. These are basically that some prescribed terms are missing or misstated.

You need to be familiar with not only the Acts and Regulations pertaining to credit agreements but also the protocols and procedures of the courts and debt collectors.

If you attempt to challenge creditors using template letters (i.e. not really understanding what you are writing) you are destined for a fall.

Please clear one thing up for me.

You state you entered a DMP 8 years ago and yet your Egg Credit agreement is also 8 years old. :confused:

Edited by basa48

My first question has got to be have you retained any letters from CCCS or creditors about the frozen interest on the accounts?

My second is have you SAR'd any of them?

Lastly please post any letters you have from any of them - edited of course - on your thread.(I know you've already done the recent ones from Apex).

The more info you can give us the better we can help you.

The letters you have received are all standard threatograms. There are several things missing here, you need a Default Notice from Egg and a Deed of Assignment from Egg to Apex. The Notice of Assignment is different as Egg don't have to tell you, as long as you have been told.

A CCA request will/should give you a copy of the 'agreement' but the SAR will/should give you copies of ALL correspondence even with third parties, and it should include the DOA. So if you've got copies of letters from CCCS to Egg and Egg don't produce those letters then Egg have failed to comply (If you've not got copies then you can't prove they've failed to supply).

Edited by Mightyacorn

I dont know what anyone else thinks about this, but might there be a cause of action against cccs who were acting as your agent. There certainly seems (at best for them) to have been a "breakdown in communication", and (at worst) they have misled their client as to the true situation.

Is that worth looking at as well?