• Tweets

• I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

The Shelty bites back...***WON***

Shelty
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6381 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just sent the following to Mr Higley, which I've copied from several that I've seen Michael Brown suggest (thanks Michael!!);

"Thank you for your letter dated 25/9/2006

I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, interest and court fees totalling £4194, which includes the daily interest.

I will accept the sum offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder.

I will be willing to withdraw my claim upon receipt of full settlement of my claim.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully" etc etc

Will NW withdraw their offer of the part balance now?

M-Stanley, Marbles , Barclaycard,Cap 1, NW CC's x 3, NWest, MBNA , HSBC CC ALL WON

Outstanding

Halifax initial 11/10 acknowledged 19/10 LBA 25/10

LTSB initial 12/10 LBA 26/10

Barclays initial 3/10,response 9/10 LBA 17/10,MCOL 1/11, defence &AQ 10/12

Bof Ireland mort' S.A.R 16/10, initial 23/11, LBA 7/12,MCOL 23/12

NatWest home loans S.A.R sent 23/10,Initial 16/12, LBA 6/1

NatWest business a/c initial 9/11, LBA 25/11, MCOL 9/12, AQ 20/1,cheque recieved 17/2 but had to send it back !!

HSBC c/a AQ returned 17/2

HSBC bus' a/c MCOL 17/2

Hello Shelty, I am following your thread with interest as you seem to be a little ahead of me. I have yet to recieve a letter from the esteemable Mr Higley. I have had notice that the claim is going to be defended in full, but nothing heard yet.

If you have recieved a partial offer, are you obliged to tell the court? Is a partial offer to settle an indication of admission?

MADGEXXX

Hi Madge, I'm not sure if you're obliged to tell the court, although I'm sure that NW will use the offer as evidence that they are trying to be reasonable & negotiate. This is the first offer I've had, but I've seen others where offers are made before it gets to the court stage. I now expect, if my case follows the pattern, Mr Higley will withdraw the offer, Cobbets will make another slightly higher offer, then the court stuff will be issued.....they have another 16 days to file a defence.

At the outset I would have been happy just getting my charges refunded, but the interest & then the additional 8% all add up & I want the whole lot now ! Hope you're succesful with your claim Madge.

M-Stanley, Marbles , Barclaycard,Cap 1, NW CC's x 3, NWest, MBNA , HSBC CC ALL WON

Outstanding

NatWest business a/c initial 9/11, LBA 25/11, MCOL 9/12, AQ 20/1,cheque recieved 17/2 but had to send it back !!

HSBC bus' a/c MCOL 17/2

Hello again,

All I ever wanted was a £38 dd charge refunded which they refused to do! We have some great oneliners put aside for future use if and when they start talking about gestures of goodwill! They have until the 24 Oct to file their defence.

Good luck with your claim!

M

The saying "left hand doesn't know what the right hand etc" applies today ! Two lots of post;

1. Notice that Acknowledgment of service has been filed. This came from the court, dated 22nd, saying that NW has 28 days to defend the claim, & signed by Cobbetts on 21st saying they will "defend all of this claim".

So I assume that in the next 28 days that I'll get a fob off letter from Cobbetts???

2. Second Letter from Mr Higley dated 25th, offering me £1320 as a "gesture of goodwill and without admission or liability. Acceptance of this offer will be in full & final settlement of your claim together with an acknowledgement that our terms & conditions will continue to apply"

Off to look through the templates to find the next thanks but no thanks letter to Mr Higley. Does this all seem like the standard ??

Hi Shelty,

This is interesting as I have got the exact same response from a Stuart Higley say "I am disappointed to note that you are contemplating legal action...." blah blah. This is a response from my first letter. About to send him my second today. I will take this all the way until I get my £381 squid back!!!!!!

Good luck!

I'll let you know the standard response I get!

• 2 weeks later...

Been going back through cc statements aswell & got two lots £80 on NW Prem' & £128 on NW Visa.

Should I wait for the ongoing NW claim to be finished before I send letters for these two ? Also, should I issue them as two seperate claims as they're 2 accounts?

Any advice welcome as usual.

Outstanding

HSBC bus' a/c MCOL 17/2

• 2 weeks later...

Defence recieved , but no AQ from the court....will this get sent automatically? Notes & Request for further info read as follows;

Notes;

1. The request is served pursuant to CPR part 18

2. The reason(s) why this request has been served are set out in the defence which has been served by the defendant

3. You are asked to provide a response to this request in accordance with CPR part 18 by 3/11/06

4. If you are unable to provide a response by this date then you should immediately contact the defendants solicitors and tell them when you will be able to provide a response

5. In the event that you do not provide adequate response to this request by this date then the defendant can aply to the court for an order requiring you to provide the information requested or an order striking out the claim(s)

The Request for Info';

1. In your claim you state "Claimant is claiming the return of £xxxx taken by the defendant in charges in the last 5 years". No mention of interest at this point...should there have been?

2. Please provide the following particulars to support your claim:

2.1 In relation to each charge please identify (a) the date when the charge was charged; (b) the amount of the same & © the reason(s) for the charging of the same ok...just send copy of spread sheet? should this be the original or an up to date one to reflect the interest?

2.2 In relation to each charge, please identify the following: (a) is it the case of the claimant the same should not have been charged? (b) If yes; please explain why the claimant contends the same should not have been charged? © If no; is it the case of the claimant that the same should not have been charged in this amount? (d) If yes; Please explain why the claimant contends that the same should not have been charged in this amount and identify the sum the claimant contends should have been charged. (e) If no please state the claimants case.copy of spreadsheet covers all this doesn't it?

3. In your claim you state that "the charges are a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforcable as they are contrary to common law"

4. Please provide the followig particulars to support your claim:

4.1 Please specify the clause(s) pursuant to which the charges were applied;

4.2 Plesae specify whether the charges applied were a breach of contract by the claimant;

4.3 Please identify in each case the particular breach of contract (by reference to the appropriate term(s) of the contract) that the charge related to. Ok, what does that mean...what do I do to respond to this point?

5. In your claim you state taht the charges are ;"invalid under the Unfair (contracts) Terms Act 1977 s4 and Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 Para 8 and Sch.2(1)(e)" and "Unreasonable within the supply of Goods and services Act 1982 s.15"

6. Please specify all of the facts relied on by the Claimant in support of the contentions in Para.5 above, and in particular please identify the contractual provision (s) that the claimant alleges are invalid by reference to UCTA/The regulations. As with 4.3...how do I respond to this point?

OK, so that's the request for info, which I'm assuming is pretty st'd stuff? I found Martin's info on responding to the CPR 18 request as detailed below. Is this all I need to send back & does it answer all of the points raised above?

"At the defence stage it appears that the NatWest solicitors are asking claimants to complete a Cpr part 18.

They claim they have insufficient POC and request the claimant to send this to them.There is no requirement to do this and the letter below can be sent in response.

Dear Sir or Madam:

Claim No:

I Acknowledge the receipt of the defence posted on behalf of National Westminster Bank plc.

I am not prepared at this stage to answer the CPR Part 18 Request. I anticipate that the claim will be allocated to the small claims track and would not then expect to have to deal with a Part 18 request since these are specifically excluded under Part 27 unless the court specifically orders me to do so of its own initiative

Furthermore I consider that the CPR part 18 request is intimidatory and I intend to bring the intimidation to the notice of the court. However, for clarity, I confirm the charges I am claiming were applied to the following account:

Account Name:

Account number:

Sort Code:

Please also find enclosed a breakdown of all charges I am claiming.

Yours Faithfully"

I assume I'm getting close now....thanks for your help in advance again!

Outstanding

HSBC bus' a/c MCOL 17/2

Above letter sent today....recorded delivery of course !

Outstanding

HSBC bus' a/c MCOL 17/2

AQ recieved, please can someone check my answers;??

Settlement postponement for a month NO

change of Location (they've already reasigned it to a Court near me) NO

Small claims Track YES

Witnesses 0

Experts report no

Hearing non availability no

Other info...(was thinking of copying this from the templates).."I am respectfully requesting that my claim be allocated to the small claims track. This issue is not a complicated one; it is an issue of fact and not of law. The issue is only whether the money levied by the Defendant in respect of its customer’s contractual breaches exceed their actual costs incurred. I am happy to pay their actual costs and I am surprised the Defendant did not counterclaim for these, because I would have paid them without argument.

However, the continuing problem is (in common with the 100s of other cases currently being brought by other bank customers) that the banks refuse to reveal the details of their penalty-charging regime. As the banks have a fiduciary duty towards their customers, they have a duty to deal straightforwardly and in utmost good faith.

Accordingly, I would respectfully ask that the court in this case, not withstanding allocation to the small claims track, order standard disclosure. I understand that it is in the courts discretion to do so. I believe this would bring a rapid end to this litigation."

should I do so ?

Fee....yes

Also, should I send any copy documents with the AQ, eg the refusal letter to the CPR18 request, copies of the offer I was made etc?

Many thanks again !! Nearly there now (I hope) !!!

Outstanding

HSBC bus' a/c MCOL 17/2

Two letters from Cobbetts today;

1) "It is our clients contention that your particulars of claim did not properly particulise your claim. For example, our cleint cannot properly defend a claim where you have not given the details of each charge you claim is disproportionate and unreasonable.

The Court is bound by an overiding objective to deal with the cases justly and ensure that parties are on an equal footing. It is clearly teh case that our client could not respond to your claim where you did not provide sufficient particulars. Our client therefore objects to your allegation that the request is intimidating"

2) "your challenge will fail in Court, etc etc, However, as a gesture of goodwill and strictly on the basis that our client rejects any liability to you, it is willing to offer you a goodwill payment of £2100".:-)

Full & final sett't on the basis that a) you shut up & b) withdraw the claim at Court. You have 7 days, we will draw this letter to the Courts attention on the basis that this offer is fair & reasonable" etc

Help required please!

1. As per previous post...how do I finalise the AQ....I've done most of it, just need help on 1 section
  2. Should I respond to the first letter or ignore it? They haven't asked for anything so I propose to ignore it
  3. Do I send the st'd "will accept this as part payment" letter in response to the second letter?
  4. Do I send a copy of my response to the Court?
  5. Do I need to take the AQ in or should I wait for them to pay up before this is due?

Thanks in advance !! Donation nearly on it's way !!!

Outstanding

HSBC bus' a/c MCOL 17/2

1. As per previous post...how do I finalise the AQ....I've done most of it, just need help on 1 section Standard disclosure is fine. Just include a schedule of charges
  2. Should I respond to the first letter or ignore it? They haven't asked for anything so I propose to ignore it Yes
  3. Do I send the st'd "will accept this as part payment" letter in response to the second letter? See below
  4. Do I send a copy of my response to the Court? Yes and the offer letter
  5. Do I need to take the AQ in or should I wait for them to pay up before this is due? not crucial, but if you send it back it will cost Natwest an extra £100 to settle

Thanks in advance !! Donation nearly on it's way !!!

Dear [named sender or Sirs]

Thank you for your letter dated xx/xx/xx

I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, interest, court fee and allocation fee now totalling £xxxx

I will accept the sum offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder.

I will be willing to withdraw my claim upon receipt of unconditional full settlement of my claim.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully

Thanks Michael, all gone off today.....the waiting continues

Outstanding

HSBC bus' a/c MCOL 17/2

AQ taken to court today,fee paid & I was told that they would contact me within a month, once NW had submitted their AQ.

Outstanding

HSBC bus' a/c MCOL 17/2

ha ha ha, just had a NW "investment mngr" on the phone....

"Hello Mr Shelty, I had a note in my diary to give you a call to discuss your financial situation. The last time we spoke you thought that your debts may have been reduced by now, and as such may have some additional disposable income"

(I had to laugh, yes my debts may soon be reduced, and yes I might have some more "disposable" income, but that's only after NW send me a cheque) I suggested that he should phone me in the Spring !

Outstanding

HSBC bus' a/c MCOL 17/2

WIN WIN WIN !!!

The O/H had just left this morning, and there was a knock on the door...."what's she forgotten this time" I asked myself...no it was the Glam' post lady...."please sign for this sir" & out came a cheque from Cobblers for the Full amount + interest + fees !! £4312.44 & no conditions !

Payable to my NW a/c, but who cares !? Will wait for cheque to clear then inform the court, funny though, the cheque was dated the 1/11, and yet the letter 6/11, so they'd written the cheque before they would have known that I'd returned my AQ. Oh well, who cares......I WON !!!

Thanks to all who've helped, it's not over yet, another few claims still in the pipe line, so thanks for help in advance aswell !

Survey completed, donation to follow when all the claims are completed !:grin: :grin: :grin:

Outstanding

HSBC bus' a/c MCOL 17/2

shelty.

From your thread i can see you and i were at about the same stage. can i ask when you AQ was due back to the court. I know you have now won but just wounder if the same will happen for me shortly

23/08/06 RECIEVED STATMENTS:) 25/08/06 SENT PREM LETTER

My AQ was due back on the 11th Nov, athough I took mine in on the 30th Oct....so they wrote the cheque out 2 days after I'd returned my AQ asking for st'd disclosure......your's wont be long !

Outstanding

HSBC bus' a/c MCOL 17/2

Cobbetts AQ arrived this morning, and I've signed the notice of discontinuance........Thanks NW pleasure doing "business with you !":-D

Outstanding

HSBC bus' a/c MCOL 17/2

Congratulations Shelty.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.