• Tweets

• Hi everyone, I have an update on my case that I’d like to share with you all.  so after submitting 371 pages in my bundle, a witness statement and skeleton argument for my court case due to take place in Manchester on June 21st I got an email from my litigator stating that hmrc have pulled out and the case is now closed!    this is the body of the letter….. This letter, which is copied to the Appellant, pursuant to Rule 17 of the Tribunal Procedure (First-tier Tribunal) (Tax Chamber) Rules 2009, the Respondents gives notice to the Tribunal of their intention to not defend the above appeal.   The Respondents respectfully invite the Tribunal to allow the appeal and close its file. In lieu of the above the Respondents would respectfully ask the Tribunal to vacate the hearing scheduled for Friday 21 June 2024. We would accordingly invite the Tribunal to close its file. Obviously this is extremely good news which hasn’t sunk in that after 3 years of fighting it is over.    I do have a further fight on my hands in that the Group Action I had joined with Independent Tax that had been disbanded in November last year and I chose not to continue with them. They are trying to bill me over 5k for the work they did under that Group Action which is ludicrous bearing in mind the whole point in joining was that it would keep the cost to a minimum as it would be shared between us all. They had asked if I wanted to continue to have them represent me on an individual level which I declined, if I hadn’t, goodness knows what they would have been trying to charge me now. 
    • President Ruto says Kenyans pay less tax than citizens in some other African countries.View the full article
    • As PM Sunak really showed his true colours at the D Day Commemorations by doing what? Oh I am the British PM lets just leave early I have better things to do and as he is called out on disrespecting all those veterans that served our country for the freedoms we have today he gives a groveling apology to little to late. He knew about this event for a long time and also knew that this is probably the last D Day Commemoration due to the age of those Veterans who gave so much for there countries freedom. Even on the day of the D Day Commemoration he still could have changed his plans As PM and stayed but choose not to showing such DISRESPECT to those Veterans, those that lost there lives and Families for the Freedoms we have today Being a Veteran myself I have never known a PM to show such disrespect what the hell was he thinking SHAME ON YOU PM SUNAK  
    • Thanks. We'll try to help over the weekend. If the hearing is on 05/07 then it's 90% sure that the deadline for filing your WS is 21/06.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

I've WON!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6610 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I sent the initial letter on the 8/03/06, I received the reply 2days later, telling me they would look into my concerns, in the letter I requested statements from the past 6 years, and a refund of all the charges.

I advised them they had 14 days from the date of the letter to do just that.

Today I phoned 08457203040 who inturn spoke to my local branch who deny reciving the letter even though they have replied to it. The lady in the call centre as now put a further request in for statements advised me it would cost me a fiver and wished me good luck.

I should recieve the statements within 10 to 14 days.

I cant belive they actualy denied the existance of my first letter after they have replied to it.

Any way Im now off to speak to my branch personally. :roll:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you get the name of the denyee? Ask for a transcript of the call, because clearly this person has told you a direct lie...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I'm not a gambler...however, as the denyee was in your branch, I would confront the branch manager with this direct lie and see what he/she has to say about it. If they lie to you about any aspect of your account, they are standing on thin ice when suggesting that "you should manage your account properly..." based on the lies that they tell you...

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Guess what, I just got through to my local branch, couldnt speak to andrew brown cos he his away at mo, spoke to some one called tony brown who confesses to be his understudy. he is gonna get andrew to phone me when he gets in.

Do you think I did the right thing by phoning, perhaps I should have stuck to the letter writing its a bit more formal.

Phoning is fine - just make a note of the date/time, and name of person spoken to. They will have this in their records, and you can request this information if needed at a later stage.

However, it is always good to have a back up in writing.

Hi Everyone,

I still havent recived my promised phone call from Andrew Brown, Although I have but a strongly worded letter in the post and e.mailed a copy to the customer relations team.

will keep you informed as to the procress.

if someone says they will call you back later you can expect themnot to. when dealing with any company who says that they will call you back later inform them that

1) you are keeping a log of all their actions.

2) take the name of the person who promises you the call back.

you can submit this in court.

Hi everyone,

I have just called my local branch again to let them know how dissapointed I am with them for not returning my call yesterday, This time I spoke to someone called Lisa, who initialy put me on hold for 4mins, When she came back to me she blamed the team at head office, saying the inital letter was infact sent for their attention the day they recieved it. when I put it to her that this wasnt true and that they were stalling for time she assurred me that the halifax were not in the habit of defrauding their customers in this way. I have now given her the name of the person I spoke to yesterday in the call centre and asked her to ring me back with a satisfactory explanation.

I wont hold my breath.

Just an update, Find it unbelivable, but shoudnt really.

Noticed the 5 quid they were going to charge me for statements hadnt been debited from my account, so phoned 08457203040, was told a letter had been sent out explaining fee and did they have my permission to debit my account before ordering statements, I already gave my permission 3 days ago, another delay tactic I think, I am so frustrated they are quick enough to take money from account when I havent got any.

Does any one else find this site addictive?

Hi Everyone,

Just an update, You will see from my first thread that I requested my statements almost 3 week ago, I have been fobed off on contless occasions, I called the call centre last wednesday 22nd when I hadent received my statements. I was told they would be posted out then, and there would be a fee of 5 quid debited from my account, When the fee hadnt been taken I called again to ask if this was cos they had waved the fee ( some hope ) I was told it can take up to 48 hrs to show on account, After 48 hrs I phoned again, Oh sorry mrs p a letter as been sent to you advising you of fee, we need your permission to debit your account, ( hadnt I already given that ) no fee taken again this morning so phones again. ( are you with me ) Mrs p do you realise its 5 quid per statement so thats 85 quid, no no n o no no. put me through to cutomer relation, Hello mrs p you are taking to Liam what can I help you with today. ( were do I start ) have you recived the letter that as been sent advising you of the charge, NO I have not, I will read the letter he says.

Dear mrs p please be advised there is a 5 pound fee for the service plah plah plah.

So were on hearth did the 85 quid come from.

I will sort that for you straight away mrs p.

Oh my god I can feel a migraine coming on.

This is normal practice for the Halifax. Deny everything! I have a letter from them offering me a refund of 3 charges dated last November. They now deny ever sending that letter despite the fact that I have faxed it to them and surprise surprise they have not refunded the promised charges.

Hi everyone,

Well I got my statements yesterday, with a lot of help from Jonni2bad ( thanks John) I have sent off the spread sheet charges total £ 2713.00 and interest of £658.25 total £3,371.00, What we could have done with that money, Well I have given them 14 days to pay up or court action, cant wait to hear what they have to say.

Me and my husband are celabrating how 20th wedding anniversary in May, we might just be able to do it in style, fingers crossed, will keep you up to date.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry cant find origianl thread, but wanted to let you know that halifax have sent a reply to my LBA.

requested return of charges £2713.00 plus interest, advised court action if not refunded by 15th april.

today I recived a letter which is the standard reply from what I have read so far.

Basicaly they have offered £310 in full and final and could I sign and return the enclosed form ( no I couldnt)

This is a gesture of goodwill and future charges would still stand and they reserve the right to close the account if I do not manage it correctly.

I have phoned and told them politly I will not except their offer and want the full amount requested.

Mind you the list of charges they kindly sent me free of charge, after charging me £5 for statements, adds up to more than I calculated £2857.00.

Should I put my refusal to except in writing, reminding them of the date of court action. and should I change the amount requested or stick to the £2713.

editsign.gifTHREADS JOINED. YOU NEED TO CHANGE YOUR SETTINGS TO "SHOW ALL".

I have just checked my e.mails and I have recived a reply to the e.mail sent to halifax customer relations on thursday, when I declined their offer of £310.

the e.mail reads.

We need the form sent with our letter in order for us to proceed with your request to except our offer.

are these people stupid, I have e.mailed back asking them to re read the e.mail, which in bold letters says we will NOT be excepting their offer.

God help us all.

Hi bracken hun!!

Thanks for your post on my thread!! Seems you’re a step ahead of me. I can’t believe the struggle you seem to be having!! They seem to be trying their luck at every turn!!

Would it be possible to see the letter you have sent them declining their offer of £310? Did you e-mail and post it?? I am about to draft mine and post it on my thread I figure now is the time to start sending all correspondence by recorded delivery. Just to be sure I don’t get the “Opps what letter?” response.

I am also going to take monkey_uk’s advice to avoid telephone conversations as it seems to me that they will do their best to turn me into Metal Mickey while listening to all those automated responses, only to play pass the customer pon da lef hand side with me after the wait!!

To be honest I am just going to tell them it’s pay up or court! They ow me a lot and If I’m going to mess about with them I want it all to happen in the courts! If they are happy with that then so am I If not then I’m almost £3000 up I can’t loose. Well I probably can but I am ready to find out!!

J x

PS

It is a bit addictive but not loads!! xxxxxxxx

Just recived another e.mail replying to the last one I sent, I reads, sorry for the mix up I will pass your concerns on to the dept dealing with your complaint.If the person sending me the e.mails isnt dealing with this then why is she sending me e.mails?

This is just my opinion, but... Having just read through your whole thread, it seems to me that the only thing that will sharpen their attention pronto is a court claim. It's quite obvious they are leading you round the bush and back again.

You have let them take control again, and they're expert at it.

You have set deadlines, and then let them ignore them. Methinks it's time to take back control if you want your money back this side of Christmas.

Ya I think you are right, I will give them to the 15th april, then I will fill in moneyclaim form, im not prepared to listen to them any more and will not enter into any more correspondance with them.

thanks for the advice, will let you know what happens after the 15th.

Do you have a copy what you said when you declined their settlement of goodwill - I haven't received my list yet and they have offered me £157 as goodwill. Can't wait to see how much they have had off me over the 6 yrs.

Hubby says sit tight until the whole list turns up.

In anticipation....

I phoned the number given on the letter and asked to speak to the person who had signed the letter, surprise suprise I was told she didnt work in that office, but the nice chap I was speaking to offered to help, the conversation went something like this.

Hello This is a courtisy call to advise you that I do not intend to except your offer of £310 with respect to the charges levied on my account.

I will pass your message on and will issue a letter explaining how you can approach the bank ombusman.

I said thank you and ended the call.

I followed this with an e.mail to customer relations.

Dear sir/madam,

further to your offer of £310 in respect of charges made on my account and following my phone conversation with your colleague earlier today, I would like to confirm I do NOT intend to except your offer.

Please be aware that if a full refund of all charges is not made by 15th april then court action will proceed.

Yours Sincerely.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6610 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks