Letter from the 'Prosecutions Unit'

sayeam
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5373 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recieved a leter from the Prosecutions Unit' today,

written on it was;

''Dear sir,

on 12 August 2009 at Chadwell Heath Station a person giving the above name and address was questioned by a member of rail staff about the payment of a rail fare.

Before I Proceed further with the investigation of this matter, I would like to give you the opportunity of responding with your explanation concerning this incident. Please complete the bottom section of this letter and if you wish to make any comments about the incident, please do so on the reverse of this letter.

Failure to respond to this letter may result in legal action being taken against you.''

This is what happened on the 12 of Aug.

After work I got onto my train at Liverpool Street, the train was a fast train and i was supposed to get off at Goodmayes (the stop before Chadwell Heath). But the train wizzed straight passed my stop and stopped at Chadwell Heath, i thought that was a little odd.

so i got off at chadwell heath, i was walking up the stairs from the platform where there was a whole army of ticket inspectors.

the inspector checked my oyster and said that i only had a zone 1 to 4 and chadwell heath is a zone 5.

another ticket inspector told me to write my address, name, job, at the same time telling me that i 'had the right to remain silent, it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. anything you do say may be given in evidence.'

then he said that the information will be handed over to the prosecutions department and i will be taken to court.

I told hime to give me the ticket, and i would obviously appeal.

At no point did he identify himself or say i had the choice to pay the ticket right there, i had to ask four times for his ID , onthe third time he just gave me a number, on the fourt time he breifly flashed his ID card

it seemed to me he just wanted to send everything to the 'Prosecutions Department'

Does anyone have any ideas about what i can do about this?

I dont have a problem paying the fine, but i dont think the way the inspector acted was appropriate.

This is what happened on the 12 of Aug.

After work I got onto my train at Liverpool Street, the train was a fast train and i was supposed to get off at Goodmayes (the stop before Chadwell Heath). But the train wizzed straight passed my stop and stopped at Chadwell Heath, i thought that was a little odd.

so i got off at chadwell heath, i was walking up the stairs from the platform where there was a whole army of ticket inspectors.

Did the train you caught usually stop at Goodmayes - check with the train company.

Also looks like the "army of ticket inspectors" might have known they could catch a number of people out.

The reason I ask – a guy I work with uses the train for work, on one occasion the train he should have caught broke down and all customers were told to catch the next service (express) which would stop at all stations. However the train did not stop at the station he required, he got off at the next station and everyone who got off had their tickets check.

Of course a large number did not have valid tickets and had to give their personal details. A month or so later he received a letter similar to yours.

He however objected, explained the situation and subsequently received a letter withdrawing the threat of prosecution which "had been sent out in error".

To this day he believes someone at the station was trying it on.