• Tweets

• I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
    • quite honestly id email shiply CEO with that crime ref number and state you will be taking this to court, for the full sum of your losses, if it is not resolved ASAP. should that be necessary then i WILL be naming Shiply as the defendant. this can be avoided should the information upon whom the courier was and their current new company contact details, as the present is simply LONDON VIRTUAL OFFICES  is a company registered there and there's a bunch of other invisible companies so clearly just a mail address   
    • If it doesn’t sell easily : what they can get at an auction becomes fair market price, which may not realise what you are hoping.
    • Thank you. The receiver issue is a rabbit hole I don't think I'm going to enjoy going down. These people seem so protected. And I don't understand how or why?  Fair market value seems to be ever shifting and contentious.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Fluffystuff's OH & MBNA

Fluffystuff
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3963 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

the bit about credit limit - "we will chose this and advise" - is, as I understand it, ok, as while it doesnt tell you what it is, it does tell you how it will be determined and that is satisfactory. I think the interest rate can be shown annually, though they can get themselves in a knot over cash withdrawel interest. There will be a "commission" fee (2% in this case), which is basically just another charge. Egg have got themselves in a bit of a knot about this, as the APR should be the cost, but the apr is what they will charge you interest, and then the commission goes on top - and of course if you dont pay it back, they charge interest on the commission. But no, I wouldnt like to explain that one in Court.

What is more interesting to me is the lack of any signature on their part. If this was the outcome of a S77 request then they can get away with sending you "another document with the main terms"| (hence the argument that is often put by them that what they send doenst have to have the debtor's sig), so an application form at that stage may well be ok. But if they are going to take this as far as court, them my understanding is that "another document" is not satisfactory. They (the creditor) have to come up with the real thing - ie the original agreement (ie they have to show what the original agreement was) - and it seems to me that they face two problems here:

1. the creditor hasnt signed it. For there to be an agreement, I would have thought that there needed to be two sides and thus two sigs. Many lenders do this - though I have at least two examples where the lender couldnt be arsed to put a mark in their box.
  2. more contentiously, there is the problem of s59 of the CCA. This says "59.—(1) An agreement is void if, and to the extent that, it purports to bind a person to enter as debtor or hirer into a prospective regulated agreement.". Now what I take from this is that to present an application form as an executed agreement is just not on - or to use the phrase in the above it is VOID. There is an interesting discussion about this in another place - Moneysupermarket.com - Making a Claim. And as they say there, what does an application form prove except that I applied for a credit card. Of course not every lender behaves in this way (though many of them do/did). I think that what the CCA intended was that "prospective" debtor puts in application to be considered by lender. At this stage the lender offers up the T&Cs that will apply should the legal relationship be consummated. If the lender goes ahead with the loan then there should be an agreement signed by both that includes the terms and conditions as set out in the 1983 regulations. One of the few who have done this is Egg, though they arguably made a bit of a Horlicks of the document signed at the second stage. What MBNA have sent you is clearly an appliction, though it doesnt helpfully say this at the top of the page (though many do). It does though, to take one example, say "APPLICANTS must be UK residents and over 18"

Would anyone with more knowledge than I care to comment on this one. There does seem to be some debate over this. I have seen this view denied by pt2537 somewhere on this sitek, but it doesnt seem to be the view elsewhere.

It is clear that in reply to a s77 request they can send out another document with the relevant T&Cs, but if they proceed to court they should produce the real thing. An application form wont do as its (by definition, I would have thought) pre-contractual and thus void under s59. And if they have anything other than the application form, why wouldnt they send it?

Edited by seriously fed up
  • Haha 1

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So they havent done a DN or a TN. Interestingly I am having this with Vanquis (well Cabot really because not only no DN or TN but they have sold it as well), but someone I have been trying to help with a case involving RBS has had the same thing with them - no DN or TN but straight off to court.

There is loads of stuff on this site about what to do about dodgy notices (or either type) but I am really struggling to find anything about the legal consequences of NO default or termination notice. Does any one out there have any ideas - or even direct me at where to look?

Thanks

SFU :)

• 2 years later...

I dont think much has changed that from what you say in today's post you are likely to rely on. I suppose the main area would be the application form aspect. On the one hand Carey v HSBC allows creditors to send a reconstruction - but ONLY for the purpose of s77 - for enforcement (ie s61 1a) they should still produce the original, and from having had a quick look through this thread it seems unlikely that they will be able to do this. google Harrison v Link to see the problems that MBNA can cause those they sell their accounts to. The fact that what they have presented is clearly a mock up remains a strong and valid point for you and unless they can find a way round/past it, I would have thought they are sunk. The manner in which they defaulted - and in particular sold the account before the default notice had expired - is a killer point as well for you as far as I can see.

The only other major thing that I can think of that has been mentioned in your thread is that the s59 argument has been knocked on the head by the courts. Other than that, since you are able to rely on the 1974 Act, things are much as they were, I think.

Starting at the end, absolute assignment, I think, sells the whole thing - lock, stock and barrel - to the dca. Equitable is somewhat less, but I am not entirely sure.

I would certainly go after them for the DN, and the fact they sold before you had time to remedy. Notice of assignment is a bit vague. Creditors argue that its enough for them to write to you and tell you your debt has been transferred to them - Cabot's hello letter for instance. But, if I wrote to you to say your debt has been sold to me, why should I believe you. But if they have screwed the DN by not giving enough time to remedy AND sold before the (overly short) time they have given you to remedy, then those are strong points.

I would though still go after them about the application form/ agreement with all the points that you and Vint raised about it being a reconstruction. They may not attempt to defend that, but if they came up with such a duff reconstruction it might be that they have a problem finding an enforceable version of the agreement. This is why you need to read Harrison v Link, because he tied MBNA in knots about what type of agreement he is supposed to have signed (in fact, if you are an optimist, if they see you refer to the Harrison case, it might just be enough to get them to go away and leave you alone). Remember that what they sent you three years or so ago was in response to a s77 request (what Waksman called "the information purpose" in Carey). But now they are seeking to enforce in court, its s61 1a that they have to worry about and the onus of proof here in on them to show that your OH did sign an enforceable agreement. Read Harrison (you can get it here http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Mercantile/2011/B3.html) but when you do, remember since Harrison brought the case the onus of proof was on him to prove he didnt sign an enforceable agreement. In your case the onus of proof is on them to show that your OH did sign an enforceable agreement, and in this respect HHJ Chambers statement that "Entirely understandably, the Defendant's evidence given through MBNA is of the "would have" variety. "We would have sent the terms & conditions because that is what we were required to do and our systems would have been designed to do". But there was evidence neither of the system nor its implementation." is telling.

Were I you, my defence would be based on both heads - unenforceable agreement and defective DN.