Abbey-Standard Response Letter

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4070 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello all,

Am new to posting, but have been browsing for quite a while and found you all to be a mine of information! So hopefully you can advise me on my next step. I have submitted my preliminary letter to Abbey detailing the charges that I'd like repaid (taken since 2002) which amount to £3.5k, and the amount of interest @ 8% which works out to circa £1k.

I no longer use this account, however, there is an overdraft in debit to the tune of £1,400, taking this in account, I also wrote a separate letter to say that I regard this overdraft as existing entirely because of their charges so forms part of my dispute. In order to cover my back, I have made them an offer of £50 per month to reduce the deficit, requested they freeze further charges and interest, and that I would be offsetting any refund against the outstanding O/D.

Today I have received their standard response letter concerning they consider the charges fair and legal, and that they and 6 other banks.......etc.etc. Depending on where you look it seems to vary as to how people are responding to this at present, do I now press ahead and threaten the court route or is it a waste of time at the moment? I have been considering a 'without prejudice' letter offering them a 25% reduction if they settle with me now.

Anyway, your collective wisdom on how best to proceed would be really helpful.

Hi Irishlass

Send them your LBA letter giving them 14 days to pay up and state that after this 14 day period you will instigate court action without further warning to them, you may get lucky and get another nonsensical reply off them but I doubt it.

There is lots of help on here so you will be fine and you will get your money back eventually.

Forgot to add, make sure you send your "Account In Dispute" letter off to them as well just in case you haven't