• Tweets

• There is a letter offering  HM Court and Tribunals Mediation by telephone Does anyone use this? Its free
    • Morning guys As Bank suggested, I've now re-worked my POC to include details of my parcel's original loss,  miraculous rediscovery a month later and subsequent delivery, albeit having been opened and the contents removed. Grateful for your thoughts please, as (P2G having gone very quiet) I intend to initiate court proceedings against P2G tomorrow - 1 May. Claim Claim number: xxxxx Reference: P2G MAY 2024   Claimant xxxxx   Defendant Parcel2Go 1A Parklands Lostock Bolton BL6 4SD  Particulars of Claim The defendant failed to arrange for the safe delivery of the claimant's parcel containing 8 second-hand golf clubs (valued at £265) that was sent to a UK address using their delivery service (P2G Reference xxxxx). The defendant contracted Evri to deliver the parcel (Evri Reference xxxxx) and whilst Evri collected the parcel for delivery on 18 March 24 they then ‘misplaced’ it a day later, formally declaring it lost on 27 March. On 16 April they found it and delivered it on 17 April but, at some point before delivery, it had been opened and the contents removed . The defendant refuses to reimburse the claimant on the grounds that the claimant did not purchase their secondary insurance contract. The defendant seeks to exclude their liability in breach of section 57 Consumer Rights Act. The secondary insurance contract is also in breach of section 72. The claimant seeks reimbursement of £265, plus P2G fees of £9.10, plus postage costs for two first class letters to P2G of £2.70, plus court fees, plus interest. The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from xxxxx to xxxxxx on £276.80 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £xxxx   Details of claim Amount claimed £276.80  
    • Odd one this, I recieved 2 notice's for the 18th and 19th April stating that I overstayed on Wigan Robin Retail Park. Permitted Minutes 180. They state I was there 355 minutes on the 18th and 388 minutes on the 19th. Both times I was there around 10 minutes getting my wife a brew from costa after dropping the kids off at school.  On both days I had passed through there a second time around 3pm, again to get a brew then left. Both notices have 2 images each, Entrance and exit.  This is the interesting bit. The Entrance images both timestamped actually clearly show I am exiting the retail park not entering it. And the exiting images they provided show me leaving the carpark after visiting a second time later in the day. In the attachments You'll see all 4 images show that I am exiting, none of them are of me entering. I understand most if not all that see this post won't know the area but if the look at the map link i gave you'll see the road I was on leading up to the main road. g24 ltd 1.pdfg24 ltd 1.pdf GoogleMap view of the road I am on in the entrance images I would have had dashcam footage but I since formatted the memory card. I tried recovery tools but I couldn't get the files back.  
    • An update: I just got another PCN. I get the feeling that someone in the residence is calling OPS, as it's dated for a few mins after I parked. I won't appeal of course. Interestingly, our cleaner was also parked but didn't get a PCN. I asked them why and apparently they're whitelisted. I did ask the MA if they could whitelist me and they said they couldn't. Clearly they decided not to tell the truth. Surely, this would resolve all of the issues entirely i.e. we'd keep non-residents from parking, whilst allowing for residents to park without issue? Also, could OPS now take me to court for both PCNs separately, or could it be one case?    
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

New tack on supplying CCA-Discussion

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5027 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Vint,

Good thread, and some good points being made here.

I have received one of the generic printouts in response to a CCA request.

They said "This is what your agreement would have looked like.... a "true copy" is not necessarily a signed copy...as you've used the account we WILL have had your signature etc etc."

I wrote back on the lines of:

I am disgusted that you have chosen to hide behind the obscure wording of an archaic law drafted when legal contracts were written and signed by quill and ink.

At that time a true copy of any such document involved rewriting by hand, until the happy advent of the photocopier.

As a large and profitable business I feel safe in assuming that you do now possess photocopying equipment or equivalent.

I therefore request that if you DO hold a signed copy of this alleged agreement, you kindly photocopy it and send it to me.

If you fail to do so I can only assume that your statement that you hold a signed copy is incorrect and misleading.

Until you fulfill my request this account remains, very firmly, in dispute.

That was five months ago..not heard a dickybird since..no CCA, no threats, no statements. I think they must have filed it under "WTF do we do with this one" :D

Elsa x

Edited by Undercover-Elsa
  • Haha 1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Hi DD :)

Reads to me to refer to the date, as the date is included in the brackets, meaning the signature can be omitted, unfortunately.

This is such an archaic and unnecessary statute in view of current sophisticated copying techniques..it should be amended by law as the only purpose it serves is to allow the banks to deceive and procrastinate. :mad:

Here's a nice bit from the OFT's proposed guidelines on Irresponsible Lending though, due for finalising in October:

Re Unsatisfactory Business Practices:

4.26 Providing credit to a borrower prior to having received from him, or in the absence of ever having received from him, a completed application for credit.

(The OFT would not consider an application to be complete if the creditor had not received a copy of the credit agreement that had been signed by the borrower)

Elsa x

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Vint & Haggis,

I have a question though. Ive been looking for ages for the source of this guidance:

While The account remains in Lawful dispute, the relevant main points of the Law and OFT regulations while the account is in this state and the Original creditor remains in default are:

• They may not ask for payment against this account.
  • You are not obliged to offer any payment against this account.
  • They cannot register any data or information with a third party such as a credit reference agency.
  • (To register information with a credit reference agency, They must have written consent from the customer to collate and share such information. This consent is given in the form of a signed credit agreement, so until they produce such an agreement, They may not do this.
    The requirement for consent to share data is a clear requirement of the Data Protection Act 1998. any such attempts to share your data without consent should be met with a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office)
  • They cannot take any enforcement action, including registering Defaults.
  • They cannot pass the account on to a third party for collection.
  • You cannot sell the account.

Can someone point me in the direction of the legislation or guidance this info originated from?

This question has been driving me nuts! :eek:

I've mooched around t'internet this morning and tbh I don't think it's written in its entirety anywhere..it just seems to be a clarification of the main points of the effects of being "unable to enforce the agreement" collected from various sources.

In reality, I believe that simple statement from the CCA covers it all, but banks and DCA's being what they are, they need a little Xtra help in understanding the implications!

Nonetheless, here's a few more snippets with refs which support it:

OFT Debt Guidance

h. ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment

k. not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt.

2.12 Examples of unfair practices are:

f. visiting or threatening to visit debtors without prior agreement when the

debt is deadlocked or disputed1

Banking Code 2008

13.6 We may give information to credit reference agencies

about the personal debts you owe us if:

• you have fallen behind with your payments;

• the amount owed is not being disputed; and

• you have not made proposals we are satisfied with

for repaying your debt, following our formal demand

Hope this might proof useful,

Elsa x

clarification
  • Haha 1

Hi Rhood,

If you go to court, yes, and that is what we're all hoping to see whenever we send a CCA Request under Section 77/78.

Unfortunately some banks are avoiding sending them under what they perceive as a loophole in the definition of the term "true copy".

They assert that a true copy can omit the signature, based on archaic legal definitions of "true copy".

Their reasoning behind resorting to this can be various:

Possibly

a) they didn't retain a legible copy of the original signed document, or have lost it

b) no agreement exists

c) they have it but are fully aware that it is invalid because of not having the prescribed terms

d) they are indundated by requests and have a backlog so send out a generic printout asap in order to shut the debtor up and remove the "account in dispute" status so that enforcement can continue (in this case they may still have a copy but not had time to locate it)

e) just being bleddy awkward to put you off :D

• 4 months later...

Without rereading all through this thread again, (fascinating as it is dear Vint :) ) I'm not sure if this has come up before, so apologise in advance if it has..

However, whilst looking through someones reconstructed "credit agreement" on here, which purported to be the agreement for a Hx credit card taken out in 1988, I noticed that it refers to Acts in 2004.

How TF then can this represent a 1988 agreement?

Caught out in such a blatant and obvious untruth, doesn't that cast doubt on the integrity of the entire document?

Fuelled by this, I've looked at some of my own reconstructions and found similar date discrepancies. Time to have some fun?

Or did they perhaps have a Tardis? :rolleyes:

Elsa Who? x

I think the many people who've had these reconstructions need to re-read the small print? I have 2 CC's, same company, sent 2 CCA requests, one per account, and got ONE reconstruction for both, saying this is what they would have contained. It refers to Acts that weren't brought in until several years later :)

But apart from "the lie" if they don't provide one with the relevant original T&C's they haven't complied with the Section 77/78 request..which they've taken an A4 page to pedantically justify that they HAVE complied with... hehehehehehehe

(And have just had their DCA lie again stating "contact us immediately on security issues as there has been unusual activity on your account" when the account is very very provably static...)

Knowing they lie is one thing, proving it is priceless :D