• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

baliff problem please help urgently. bristow and sutor CTAX excessive fees

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5422 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i'm a bit out of touch but the levy i think has no time limit and applies until the debt is cleared or they agree to remove the levy

it is legitimate to remove property from the house before levy but a criminal offence to remove or deliberatley damage any goods after they have been levied

yes, its an old wives tale and assumes that the bailiff is a complete idiot and has never seen that before

he will want to see genuine bona fide receipts from a retailer,and if he is not happy with what he is shown he is entitled (although he can be challlenged of course between seizure and the auction of goods ) to dismiss it as not genuine and seize the goods anyway.

The best policy is always to keep the bailiff at the door for as long as possible and contact the creditor direct and try to enter into an arrangement and call the dogs off

However, where several arrangements to pay have been dishonoured and the bailiff has already entered and levied the goods he may use force to re enter.

he can sieze any property INCLUDING property jointly owned by man and wife

what you need to remember is that the bailiff does not WANT to remove goods - it is the THREAT of removing them that gets results. un fortunately by this stage even his hands are tied as so many arrangements to pay have gone by the wayside

Surely a Statutory Decleration witnessed by a solicitor for about £10 makes the sale legal, and gives the Bailiff no leg to stand on. At the end of the day the Bailiff has no claims on goods before he has levied, so who is he to poo poo a private sales matter between friends?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

he can sieze any property INCLUDING property jointly owned by man and wife

As far as I can see this is a tiny bit misleading?

Bailiffs certainly cannot take just any property that they like:

There are some things that the bailiffs are not allowed to take at all, such as goods that are rented or hired. The regulations also say that the following items are exempt and cannot be taken:

• "such tools, books, vehicles and other items of equipment as are necessary for use personally in employment, business or vocation";
  • "such clothing, bedding, furniture, household equipment and provisions as are necessary for satisfying basic domestic needs of the person and family".

I'm not sure if the Husband/Wife link make any difference from "partner", but I have read the following:

The bailiffs can only take goods belonging to you if you are named on the liability order. This means that if the Council Tax debt is just in your name, the bailiff should not take goods which are owned jointly with someone else. If they want to take goods that belong to someone else (your children, partner, lodgers, etc.) explain that the goods do not belong to you. If you can, show a receipt or note as proof. The owner of the goods may have to provide a sworn statement in the form of a 'statutory declaration' to say this is the case.

I am rarely around these parts any more. I only stop by when something has come to my attention that has sufficiently annoyed me so as to persuade me to awake from my nap and put in my two pence.

I am a final year law student; I am NOT an expert in law. All of my posts are just my opinion. I cannot be held responsible for any outcome whatsoever resulting from any person following the opinions or information contained within my posts. Always seek professional legal advice from a qualified lawyer.

I'm not sure if the Husband/Wife link make any difference from "partner", but I have read the following:

So in other words, if as in the post further up, you sell your goods to a mate, get him to do a statutory declaration.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i did not say they could take ANY property

my reference was to any property jointly owned by man and wife

meaning any property owned by man and wife that he is allowed to take (apologies for the confusion which i now see)

point two husband and wife are considered to jointly own property unless their is clear evidence to the contrary

(otherwise no bailiff would EVER be able to seize property from a home in which a husband and wife live!!)

• Haha 1

Surely a Statutory Decleration witnessed by a solicitor for about £10 makes the sale legal, and gives the Bailiff no leg to stand on. At the end of the day the Bailiff has no claims on goods before he has levied, so who is he to poo poo a private sales matter between friends?

sure, no problem all you need to find is a bent solicitor who is prepared to backdate and witness an obvious attempt to pervert the course of justice and put his livelyhood and liberty at stake for the sake of 10 quid

plenty of them about eh?

who is he to poo poo a private sales matter?

he is a bailiff certificated by the local county court to make just those decisions and has the backing of the law to protect him where he can show that he reasonably believed such an arrangement to be a sham and a 100,000 bond to the court to penalise him if he acts vexatiously

it is for YOU after he has made that decision not to believe the made up self serving document of sale ( between the time he levies and puts them in auction) to mount a legal challenge to get the goods back to their rightful owner and NOT for him to defend that decision whilst seizing the goods

Edited by diddydicky

i did not say they could take ANY property

my reference was to any property jointly owned by man and wife

Sorry mate, I missread your post.... my mistake.

Just I know how confusing these things can be lol.

I take what you say about Husband and Wife too, I hadn't thought about it like that.... you're right though, if they couldn't touch the wife's stuff then they could never take anything lol.

I guess that's why the extract I quoted before only refers to "partner"

Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

UF

I am rarely around these parts any more. I only stop by when something has come to my attention that has sufficiently annoyed me so as to persuade me to awake from my nap and put in my two pence.

I am a final year law student; I am NOT an expert in law. All of my posts are just my opinion. I cannot be held responsible for any outcome whatsoever resulting from any person following the opinions or information contained within my posts. Always seek professional legal advice from a qualified lawyer.

• 1 month later...

Hi i have had several posts on here now and kinda getting the hang of things.

first posted begining of july help with baliffs and council tax,

got quiet scarred but managed to sort it out and got my debt back to council i was advised that my council tax would be statute barred because it was for 2001/2002 i have been in contact with my council who say it is not statute barred because a court order had been obtained back then does this still appy? is the debt statute barred? or should i just pay it.

forgot to ask would i have gotten a copy of this court order or been notified about it as i have not seen one this is the first i have heard of a court order

should i ask them for a copy of it and what date it was obtained?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that tax debts do no fall under the statute of limitations and, thus, cannot be statute barred.

Also, if they have a court order, then unless the order states otherwise, my understanding is that this lasts forever. Although they may have to explain to the court why it has taken them so long to act upon it.

In short (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong) council tax really is one of the debts that is hardest to fight and should be treated as a priority.

Have you tried to arrange a payment plan with the Bailiff company or directly with the council? What is the history in your case.. as in, what has happened so far?

I have had many dealings with Councils and Bailiffs re council tax. There are normally ways and means of getting things sorted.

Cheers

UF

all correct

CTAX cannot be statute barred

get it paid, this has been going on long enough they already have a liability order, and are being rather nice by taking it back..

are you on benefits or alike?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

thanks for replies

yes we are on benefits i called a lady a couple of weeks ago a solicitor got her number from this forum and she said that it would probably be statute barred

i have a payment plan now in place which is fine and paying it i was just wondering out of interest if it was or not

the council say it is not but they dont state that council tax cannot be statute barred,

thanks for help

good luck

and keep that payment plan going, if you get into bother, TELL THEM FIRST, dont bury your head.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...