• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Abbey & me

keanej
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6503 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello to one and all

Started the process with money claim online and Abbey had until the 8th August to file a defence. Lo and behold on the 4th August I receive a letter from Abbey's solicitors (looked like a computer generated one) saying that thery are process of reviewing and preparing the banks response. A defence will be filed in due course. They are also asking me to only speak to them and to provide details on how I reached the figure £3202 charges and £1156 interest.

I believe this is just a bit of scare tactics (i hope!) They have until the 22nd August now to file a defence.:?

Wow! That's a lot of interest, Have you double checked it?

28th July 06 - Data protection request taken into ABBEY branch with £10 cash... clock's started ticking!

05th August 06 - Microfiche arguement letter sent... In reply to first letter from Pam Speed, received from her this morning.

***I will gladly be donating 5% to this site!***

Good luck with everything Keanej... Keep us posted how it all goes :oops:

28th July 06 - Data protection request taken into ABBEY branch with £10 cash... clock's started ticking!

05th August 06 - Microfiche arguement letter sent... In reply to first letter from Pam Speed, received from her this morning.

Thanks for that guys, I couldn't believe how much interest there was either!

But I used the interest calculator and have printed out the page, 1806 days have passed since the first date of 8/8/01 up until 19/07/06 last charge date. So interest comes out at £1156.56 for £3202 of charges.

Also I am being generous as I am only using statements I have got here I could of added on another two years worth to make it up to 6 years

I'd be tempted to put another claim in for the other two years statements lol.. They're not generous to us afterall.

BIG MISTAKE!!!! uh oh!

When I calculated the interest I put in the total amount of charges instead of singular and then the dates from when the first was to when the last was. I am way out, but I have already submitted those figures to the court two weeks ago, no wonder the solicitor wants to know how I came up with the charges.

WHAT SHALL I DO? :o :-x

you can amend the claim with the court it will cost you about £35 to do. then just send a copy to the Abbey's solicitor.

If my posts have helped you please use the scales at the top of my posts :)

Any opinions from Jannercobbler are strictly my own and I have no affiliation with any group or services.

The two most beautiful words in the English Language are "Cheque Enclosed" - Dorothy Parker

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/399-abbey-letter-sent.html

Me v Abbey - £3000 + Int + Costs + Credit File Cleaned.

LBA Sent 12/3/06

Court Claim started - 31/5/2006

Allocation Questionnaire Filed - 24/7/06

Court Date allocated 31/10/2006

Me v Citi-Cards - CCA Sent 27/07/06

Me v Citi-Cards - Data Protection Act Sent 03/08/06

Me v Capital One - Data Protection Act Sent 03/08/06

Me v Hillesden Securities - CCA Sent 03/08/06

Me v Hillesden Securities - DPA Sent 03/08/06

Decided to email and fax the claim spreadsheet to Paul at solicitors did it on 6th August. As of yet, and it is now the 12th August I have received nothing. I expected a letter on Friday as that is when they seem to turn up so it buys them more time, but no!

I received the hard copy that they intend to defend all of the claim, but I take it as standard going by all the other threads. The 18th is when the 28 days are up, I will not get my hopes up that it will default my way. ;) I expect either a letter before then, but if receive nothing by the 28 day deadline, what is my next step?

Well!!! Please Help!!!!

Well today recieved the letter from Paul at DLA with two copies of the letter and the defence that they have filed.

They have offered me 50% of my charges, which amounts to £2299.28 (inc court fee and interest). My original request is for £3507.92 plus £120 court fee.

In the defence it states that I have provided no particulars of the dates and amounts debited to the account, even though the solicitor asked me for these details and they were faxed and emailed to him over a week ago. IS THIS STANDARD?

Also, as I had made an error on calculating the interest first time round the sheet was accompanied by a letter stating this with the renewed figures which was less that originally requested through the court.

The offer they have made is on the mistaken interest (they have offered £578.28 compared to the amount sent to the solicitor of £291.92???

I obviously will not accept and will write back to the solicitor 'without prejudice' informing him of my decision, anything I really need to include?

;D

I have received an email today in regard to my counter settlement with Abbey's solicitors. They offered me 50% I asked for 90% and they have agreed. My original claim was for £3,266 and they have settled at £3157.12 plus £120.00 in court fees.

I am writing back tonight to accept on condition that they also refund charges incurred since I started my claim, at 75% which comes to £401.25 without interest.

I have included my letter which I emailed yesterday which seems to have hit a note with them.

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Dear Sirs,

Northampton County Court Claim – Claim 6 QZ 47882

Thank you for your letter dated 11th August.

I would like to bring to your attention that I have not at any time asserted that I should not pay any charges at all.

I still feel that the sum charged is disproportionate and unreasonable with the object being to penalise. I have continued to be penalised ever since. £3,266 is not by any standard reasonable and I find it extremely difficult to believe that the administrative charges of Abbey could amount to anything like this sum.

I would like to see Abbey National held legally liable for the disproportionate charges that seem at least to some degree to profit from people who have got into financial difficulties. However, in an effort to end this matter, I would be willing to accept a 90% reduction of the charges and interest plus the court fee of £120.00 and an understanding that Abbey is not held legally liable.

I hope that you will regard this as a genuine attempt to reach an amicable settlement.

In conclusion I would be willing to accept £3,157.12 plus £120 court costs in full and final settlement and understand that Abbey National Plc will not be admitting legal liability.

As I am sure you will appreciate, the charges claimed do not take into account the fact that charges have continued to be applied to the account since the date of the claim. These charges have only been applied to the account because of the "charge applied to account, charge incurred to the account" cycle.

Whilst I understand your instructions are only to act in the sum claimed in the claim form, could I also request that as a gesture of goodwill and by no means an admission of liability that should your client agree to the above then it would also apply to the charges incurred from the date of the claim to the date that the payment is credited to me via a cheque i.e. I would only be responsible for 25% of all charges.

Yours faithfully

Lets hope that the cheque doesn't take too long to arrive.

I recieved the allocation questionnaire today aswell, shall I hold onto it until the cheque is in my hand, I have until the 2nd September to return it.

;)

Cool.

I hope you get the interest too! Let us know....I may well "borrow" your email text - with your permission of course

Abbey Prelim Letter sent 16/06/06 - LBA sent 30/06/06 - MCOL served 22/07/06 - Acknowledged 26/07/06 - Defended 16/08/2006 - Settled 20/09/06 :o

Abbey 2 Prelim Letter sent 22/09/06

Abbey 2 LBA sent 9/10/06

MCOL 03/11/06

Cap One Prelim sent 28/06/06 - LBA sent 13/07/06

MCOL served 05/08/06 - Acknowledged 02/08/06 - Served 05/08/2006 -Settled in full 22/08/06 :D :D

Halifax Prelim sent 03/07/06 - LBA sent 17/07/06

MCOL issued 03/08/06 - settled in full 09/08/06 :D

MBNA S.A.R sent 21/08/06 Settled 21/09/06 :-o

Morgan Stanley S.A.R sent 29/09/06

Of course you can use it, I 'borrowed' from someone else.

This site has been a lifesaver as I really do not think I could have gone for it, just have to wait for the money!

Is the DLA chap dealing with your claim Paul Denham?

That's who I've got so hopefully he'll view my counter offer in a similar spirit of "goodwill"

Good luck

Abbey Prelim Letter sent 16/06/06 - LBA sent 30/06/06 - MCOL served 22/07/06 - Acknowledged 26/07/06 - Defended 16/08/2006 - Settled 20/09/06 :o

Abbey 2 Prelim Letter sent 22/09/06

Abbey 2 LBA sent 9/10/06

MCOL 03/11/06

Cap One Prelim sent 28/06/06 - LBA sent 13/07/06

MCOL served 05/08/06 - Acknowledged 02/08/06 - Served 05/08/2006 -Settled in full 22/08/06 :D :D

Halifax Prelim sent 03/07/06 - LBA sent 17/07/06

MCOL issued 03/08/06 - settled in full 09/08/06 :D

MBNA S.A.R sent 21/08/06 Settled 21/09/06 :-o

Morgan Stanley S.A.R sent 29/09/06