• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cabot financila (Vanquis CC) court summons is it too late to use CCA 1974?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4882 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Hunni. Yes do ask for a copy of the deed of assignment as well as the Notice of Assignment. The deed is the sales agreement between the OC and Cabot. They really won't likeyou asking for this but it may throw up some important detail.

You can add it as an addendum to you original Part 18 and also you SAR. Hope this doesn't make you head ache even more but so far you have handled it well with good advice from CAG.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi yes just headline it clearly and state further to Part 18 this is an addendum and go on to request the deed of assignment and/or sales document (in truth they are one and the same) I would still add the bit about statement of truth even though it's repeating what you have already sent in original.

Have just had a quick scan of your thread They don't have anything do they? That Vanquis form is not an agreement. They are trying it on following the Rankine judgement (see elsewhere on CAG) which is totally flawed. The judge in this case said it was sufficient to produce a form and T&Cs but this totally flies in the face of the CCA and its Statutory Instruments and other High Court judgements.

I was talking to a barrister who said at some stage this Rankine nonsense will have to be challenged and overturned as it is a very poor judgement indeed but there was an agenda going on in court so don't you let it put you off.

Great Scott I would go for their CI at 49%. As this is such an extortionate rate of interest you can build a good case for claiming it should it get before a Judge.

I have managed to get CI off both MBNA and Cap 1 in the past. I suspect Vanquis/Cabot wouldn't like having to explain this rate before a Judge.

Your own time spent in defending and researching this rubbish. You are allowed to claim £9.25 per hour. Just add up all the time spent on this. Just keep it reasonable (i.e. don't take the mick) and you can then send this to them. If they've any sense they will cough up, if not you will have to start proceedings.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I would call the court for a start and tell them about the letter. Problem is they (the court) will just carry on with their procedures until Cabot discontinue.

Another thought - perhaps a curt note to Morgan's solicitors asking WTF they are playing at in view of the letter.

You may well still need to proceed with the Allocation Questionnaire though. If so, complete it following the notes. Request the case is moved to your local court.

I would also tick the part to ask for a "stay" so that it can be resolved. Cabot may get their act together and call it all off.

In the box for information which the judge will look at state you need the following information in order to form a defence:

a) a copy of the agreement b) Notice or deed of assignment c) full breakdown of how the sum has been calculated and all charges added and why. If they are unable to supply these state you will be seeking that the case be struck out.

Edited by Rhia

Don't panic - it's just the AQ and you need to answer as follows:

A. No (decided don't ask for a Stay)

B. Yes (if you want to change to local court - explain you are a LiP and do not have the resources that Cabot has being an international company (Jesus wept)

C. If it is under £5k then Yes to Small Claims

D. No (unless you have a witness apart from yourself)

E. No ( ditto)

F. Any dates to avoid - holiday, hospital or other

G. Any other info (no need to complete) have suggested adding re my post above.

That will give you some breathing space and you don't need anything else yet.

OK. Can you SAR Vanquis to see if those alleged letters turn up. Obviously this is no good for AQ but you will need to see if they are in their files or if these are just Enid Blyton creations.

If it was done online then I guess this is not a strong part of your defence. I am not up on online appns so perhaps someone else can help.

The default notice dates need challenging and I would put them to strict proof as to the actual date this was issued as one way or another this makes the DN invalid. Cabot never have proper copies of letters just "representations" of letters they allege to have sent. Put them to strict proof of the issue by asking for original default notice and proof of posting.

Then just read and re-read the whole thing and try and trip them up. Don't panic at all.

CitizenB I think you're thinking along the same lines as me. Charging 49% interest and there seem to be penalty charges in there it may well be that the alleged debt is a nonsense anyway when everything is totted up.

Hunni are you saying you have a SAR fom Vanquis? If so is some info missing? Reason I ask is you don't need to SAR them again and another tenner (unless it was done years ago).

Just write back to them and refer to the SAR and state that they haven't fully complied as such and such and such and such are missing. You could also add that if they are uanble to produce any specific item requested then they need to state so, so that there can be no misunderstanding.

Give them another 14 days to respond (and tell them you are doing so on top of the 40 days). If they don't respond in that time then complain to ICO.

As Vanquis isn't part of the court proceedings I don't think you can Part 18 them - although if anyone knows anything different I would be interested to hear as getting the OC involved is often nigh on impossible.

I take it you want to send the extra info. Send it anyway Hunni and give profuse apologies to the court for it's delay. It's only a week isn't it?

Just do the whole thing again head it revised and send it in. The courts give lots of leeway to the professionals I have found whereas we LiPs go by the book.

• 1 month later...

Hi Hunni, I suspect you will have no option but to wait a week or so longer. Just what do they need the extra time for either they have the docs and they have a case or they haven't.

Suspect they haven't and are desperately hoping something will turn up.

You will need to be seen to be reasonable on this occasion but if they don't come up with the goods the court won't wear their delays again.

Keep strong and anyway I take it you've seen they lost £6m in profits thsi last trading year. That's why they are desperate to try and wring money they aren't entitled to out of people like yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't read them Hunni - can you enlarge at all? Have they supplied any of the items you requested and is there a properly executed copy of the original agreement?

If not your position is still exactly the same and don't forget those penalty charges.

Edited by Rhia

This means .you go after Cabot fo the refund of charges. I am supised they actually offered you a refund without a fight.

There are two schools of thought on who you approach re refunds on assigned debts but as it's in Cabot's hands and they have bought it then use it in your case against them.

OK managed to read them. Yummy signed by Piers Morgan but still offering the same hapless tripe.

As CitizenB says go after it point by point and you will need an amended defence.

My own observations are:

Page 1 is just waffle - we operate from substantial premises across three counties...so what? They are also making a substantial loss but that's their problem.

The meat (more like gruel) is in Page 2. Still no properly executed agreement giving the pescribed terms which bears your signature. You need the stuff on producing the actual original copy for inspection NOT the t&cs. You also need copies of the ORIGINAL letters and proof of posting. Also assignment.

Then there's the sales document (deed of assignment) which you have requested and have yet to see.

What's the deadline for amended defence?

• 3 weeks later...

Hunni have been offline and just seen this. I think the advice you have here is good and would follow it.

Just refute the claims one by one as stated. The next stage will be an Allocation Questionnaire when you can add draft directions but don't wory too much about this now in fact if your new defence is good for the judge it might not get that far.

• 5 months later...

Hi Hunni, sorry not to have been around lately but you've been in good hands. Yes they do hit you with costs to frighten you so don't let it. Also there is nothing stopping you calculating your own costs as a L-in-P and sending them so they know what else they will face when they lose this case.

Keep your chin up. There is obviously much for the judge to consider or he would just have rammed the case through...in their favour. He didn't so although I wouldn't ever consider feeling too confident he can see that all is very odd indeed and needs exploring.

Perhaps they will back off now.