Cautioned on Southeastern Rail

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5454 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

To start off, this thread isn't a "this is an outrage, how can they do this" rant. It's more a "what can I expect" as I don't really have a leg to stand on regarding what happened.

Today I was cautioned for not buying a ticket. I didn't have any means of paying money on me, so I'm not aware that if I had, I could've paid off the revenue collector as it were. I've been given an MG11 Witness statement, and was told very aggressively, "you're going to court mate" by the collector. I understand that I am completely in the wrong, but everything about this guy, was well, utterly horrible. He called a police officer when I couldnt show ID to prove I was who I was saying I was, (I didn't have any photo ID, but I showed him an extensive pay slip i had in my bag, NI number, payroll number, address, phone number, etc, as well as my photocard for work confirming my employer and job title).

Before I continue I'd like to re-emphasise the fact that I'm not seeking any sympathy, or any get out strategies for that matter. What I am worried about is the consequences. I go on holiday for 3 weeks in a weeks time. This worries me because of the possibility of letters being sent to me during this time, and possibly a 14 day replying period.

Annoyingly, I've only ever fare evaded once before, in 2007, and was fined 20 pounds for this. It seems sods law that one's friends are at it all the time, and the one or 2 times i do it, I get caught. Again, it has no relevence in this situation, and has nothing to do with my case, but I'd thought I'd mention it.

Some help and clarification as to what I can expect would be deeply, deeply appreciated.

They will write to you (cant say when that will be) and ask you your version of events.

Based upon the inspectors statement and what you say they will decided whether to prosecute you.

A simple 'no ticket-no money' is pretty much guaranteed to end up in Court, its the same as theft in reality.

They will probably fine you a weeks wages + costs (£100-£120) + the fare + £15 victim surcharge (govt fine tax).

For a timely guilty plea the fine should be reduced by a third.

You will receive a criminal record & any further prosecutions for fare evasion will see the fine increased drastically due to this conviction.

SRPO is spot on of course, but if you want to understand the whole process have a look at this thread where I ran through a full explanation fom start to finish

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/public-transport-trains-tubes/190520-253-30-rail-fine.html

I know not everyone reads every thread and you are concerned with your own admitted misdemeanour, but I didn't want to bore everyone by doing it all again.

Edited by Old-CodJA
mis-spellings

• 5 weeks later...

Many thanks for all the advice, I guess I'll have to see what turns up. From reading the other case you linked me to, as it's an open and shut case in terms of, they may ask for my version of events, I then simply plead guilty by letter, they send me a fine, I pay, etc?

Furthermore, can anyone offer advice on how/how long I will need to declare the fare evasion as part of a criminal record. I don't know how it works at all so some advice would be very helpful,

Many thanks