• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cupcake vs Egg 03

cupcake68
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4587 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Oh OK!

Am I not at risk of missing the defence deadline if I do that? I do not want to find out they have got the judgement because I didn't submit in time!!

I will write as you suggest and send it special delivery to be sure they get it before 15th July.

Thanks again

Cupcake

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys

I have received my DSIR request from Egg today.

There is still no agreement in it!!!

Also on first glance the statements they have sent are not the same as the statements I received from Brian Carter last week!! They are laid out slightly differently.

I will have a closer look later.

Cupcake

layout of the statements is immaterial - each piece of documentation is judged on the material content. So, for a statement that would be your name the creditor's name and most importantly the financial stuff.

Check the 'account log' for any discrepancies with dates and figures and things.

Look for the DN info and any TN info

The previous advice is still valid IMHO - they have not complied yet.

So write to them and copy the Court, detailing the request, what has been sent and what is STILL outstanding.

See what happens, if nothing then you can make an N244 app for disclosure (and 'proper' re-pleading of POC?). Should be a £40 without a hearing app.

You can use lots of statements from CPR as your 'evidence' on the app (Pre-Action conduct & Part 16 are a good start)

If you find my advice helpful - please click on my scales

<<<<<< - they're over there!

Well, it's a funny black star now ...

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

Thanks GH

No agreement, no copy of DN and no TN included in pack but I will look at log to see if they are mentioned.

Also noticed my first CCA request has hand written note re £1 fee included so their recent excuse for not sending it, when FOS told them they should, because I had not paid £1 fee was a load of rubbish!

Cupcake

:-D

I *always* recommend SARing a creditor - very rarely does it not turn up all sorts of useful info

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

I too have received my SAR from Egg, I've got two agreement's in mine, my loan and the card, however they've only sent one set of statements (for the card), no sign of any DN's, and the history file they've sent me doesn't make any mention of them at all. Written back asking for missing docs, and asking why no mention of DNs. Also it is worth noting the've only sent me statements from the time I took out the Egg loan, nothing from before.

Hi Guys

I have sent the letter to BC informing them of what I am still waiting for from them before I can submit my defence.

I have had a good luck at the SDAR received from Egg.

There are a couple of things I have noted but I'm not sure any of them are good enough to defend this case!!

There is a letter in SDAR dated June 09 stating that by now I should have recieved a letter enclosing my agreement and as such they were closing my complaint.

I did not receive this letter!!

There is also no copy of the letter they mention or any copy of my agreement within my SDAR! However there is a log on screenshot dated July 09 saying CCA letter sent.

There is also no copy of my letter putting the account into dispute in April 09 because they had not complied with my request. Although there is the letter I attached to the back of it (Telephone Harrassment letter). It looks as if they have scrapped that part of the letter. (it even shows the recorded delivery barcode on the Telephone Harrassment letter!!)

What does DRSD 10 days mean on their log? It is entered in the screen log under DN issued.

There is no copy of the DN notice but I am sure I have read they do not keep copies so no real surprise there.

As well as the screenshot log there is also a contact history. I cannot see any mention in that of CCA letter sent in July 09.

In the complaint log it shows my initial complaint opened in May 09, It then says "opening code: unenforceable". Is that because the account in dispute letter I sent said the agreement was unenforceable because they had not comlied?

Also in this complaint log they state that because I did not sign my CCA request they had not sent cca yet. Then, under action taken it says CCA sent 13/05/10. So it would appear from this that they did not send it in July 09 afterall?!!

Also on this sheet it says "closure code pre 01/07/10 Unenforceable Agreement (card, product policy, Agreement/T's & C's breach)

What does that mean?

The amounts on the statements tally between BC and Egg but there is a strange calculation of arrears in the statements that BC sent....

261209 statement shows Min payment due £3003.00. Next statement dated 020210 shows min payment due £1124.73 although there is no sign of credit or payment on account??

The only other thing is the discrepencies between the statement details that came from Brian Carter and the ones from Egg. These are not to do with amounts. The statements from BC dated May 09, July 09, September 09, November 09, February 10 and April 10 (ie every other month) show the next payment due date as June 2010.

Any advice would be appreciated again.

Thank you

Cupcake

One more thing!!

I received a termination notice dated 29th July 2009.

The log on the screenshot for 290709 says ""*GG2KR08 NM-016 = F PREV STATUS = A

next line for 290709 says "CRT RO BED CARD DN Q DN NOT SATISFIED NO PAYMENT RCVD"

next line say "454 LETTER SENT F66 STATUS APPLIED DRSD 1 DAY SWITCHED"

next line says "INTEREST CANCELLED DD"

Does any of this mean a termination request was sent?

Cupcake

• 4 weeks later...

Await further posts from others, BUT, if BC still haven't complied then you still can't defend apart from an Emb Def (on the basis of 'you still don't know what you're defending).

IMO i'd submit the ED so it shifts to your own court and then apply to have the claim struck out!

BC's not good when challenged lol.

M

Thanks M and M

I will do that.

Also I have received today the FOS response to my complaint.

Egg say they sent a copy of my agreement in July 09, they have no reason to doubt that. Egg wrote in May 10 saying they would send again (still not received) FOS don't care about that, FOS can't uphold my complaint and enclose a copy of my agreement.

Guess what?!

No agreement enclosed!!!!!!!!

Why can no one give me a copy of this agreement although they all say they are?!

GRRRRRR!

I am going to email FOS and say thanks very much you're as helpful and efficient as Egg

Cupcake

I wouldn't even enter an ED. Enter a very short defence

admitting that you applied for an account (if the POC identifies teh account)

deny there was ever a properly executed enforceable agreement

deny you owe the claimant the amount claimed or any amount at all

Then it's up tp them to prove otherwise and you will get the chance (if it ever comes to that) to submit full details in your AQ, WS & skeleton (and in any answer to any docs subsequently provided)

Thanks M and M

I will do that.

Also I have received today the FOS response to my complaint.

Egg say they sent a copy of my agreement in July 09, they have no reason to doubt that. Egg wrote in May 10 saying they would send again (still not received) FOS don't care about that, FOS can't uphold my complaint and enclose a copy of my agreement.

Guess what?!

No agreement enclosed!!!!!!!!

Why can no one give me a copy of this agreement although they all say they are?!

GRRRRRR!

I am going to email FOS and say thanks very much you're as helpful and efficient as Egg

Cupcake

:lol: I would stick to your guns and ask for another copy of the agreement.

I would also send Egg another S78 request - well worth the £1 to see what they come up with this time

This is always sufficient...

1. I, [insert full name & address], am the defendant in this action and make the following statement as a defence to the claim made by [insert Claimant’s name]

2. Except where otherwise mentioned in this defence, I neither admit nor deny any allegation made in the Claimant’s Particulars of Claim and put the Claimant to strict proof thereof.

3. The Defendant notes that the Claimants' claim is not fully particularised and offers no cause for action and is thus eligible for a strike out under CPR 3.4.2 (a).

4. The Claimant as failed to disclose appropriate documentation to support the Particulars of Claim, requested under CPR 31.14 and CPR 18, which leaves the Defendant at a disadvantage and unable to plead effectively or at all. The Defendant is embarrassed in pleading to the Claim as it stands.

5. The Defendant denies that they are indebted to the Claimant for the sum of [insert claim sum] and puts the Claimant to strict proof of this sum.

6. As the Claimant has not provided proof of the debt or the sums claimed the Defendant denies the Claimants claim for interest pursuant to s.69 of the County Court Act 1984.

AND the Defendant;

7. Seeks an order that the Claimant’s action is struck out under CPR 3.4.2 (a), or otherwise dismissed, on the grounds that any claim cannot succeed and that the Claimant do pay the Defendant’s costs incurred in defending this action.

• Confused 1

Yep, go with VJ's gives the DJ more to use. Not seen that one before - nice :D

It's good to see that everyone's moving away from the rambling 'copied off the Internet' ED .... I'm sure they were starting to 'get' to the DJs

and Hi Mr M :D - I thought I wrote that earlier but cannot see it .....

I'm not entirely sure I can take credit for it... I'm sure I've picked up bits here and there but this is my own work in terms of putting relevant bits together.

I only use ED's as an absolute last resort. I would always try to agree an extension with the Claimant pending disclosure. If they agree it means the Judge won;t have to spend time reading an ED at all... if they disagree, well - the Judge will have them by the balls.

Negotiate first... ED last resort.

Been following this thread, so I hope these are not stupid questions, but here goes...

"Negotiate first... ED last resort." What are you negotiating? Is it just for the documents so you can prepare a proper defence, or to get the claimant to withdraw. If at the AQ stage you haven't got the docs, is that the point where you submit the ED (or, if you have got them, submit the full defence)? Hope it is not inappropriate in someone else's thread to ask these questions (if so, I apologise in advance!)

Been following this thread, so I hope these are not stupid questions, but here goes...

"Negotiate first... ED last resort." What are you negotiating? Is it just for the documents so you can prepare a proper defence, or to get the claimant to withdraw. If at the AQ stage you haven't got the docs, is that the point where you submit the ED (or, if you have got them, submit the full defence)? Hope it is not inappropriate in someone else's thread to ask these questions (if so, I apologise in advance!)

I rarely see stupid questions... only stupid answers ;-)

The claim will never reach AQ stage without some form of defence (be it a comprehensive one or an ED).

The negotiation is simply this; "give me an extension of the date to file a defence in light of your failure to provide disclosure"

You then await their reply. If none is given by the last date of defence filing then you simply file the ED. If they supply documents AFTER you have filed an ED you write to the court requesting permission to amend your defence.

• Confused 1