style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5524 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i'm new to all but need some help, A few yrs ago my wife and i fell behind with our council tax sorry cant help with the amount as bailiffs and council have not got back to me yet, we set up an agreement with Equita to pay £20 a month(am on benefits) due on 11th of each month.I used to pay them directly over the phone but in december i were late paying cos of xmas etc n so paid via the post office and have done so ever since, all other payments are upto date,but every month without fail since then they visit my home and post a hand delivered letter telling me they are coming back to remove my goods, i have never signed anything or even met them face to face,but when i contact the bailiff by phone he says u have defaulted and its always at the end of the month and thats the reason for the visit, when i explain i have all my reciepts and that they are all stamped by the post office and can prove it he says dont worry about it just keep paying the way u are.

I have contacted the council detailing all this hassle asking them to take the debt back. They say all my payments are upto date and are not willing to take it back.

What i'm concerned about is all the fees that they may have charged me per visit,today were the 3rd visit this year,not to mention all the stress it causes me each time.

Sorry if it seems a little long winded.

Please Help!!

it doesn't matter how Meny letters they send you if they have never done a walking possession/levy on any of your property they can only charge for 2 visits( they cannot charge you for letters) £24.50 for first and £18 for second visit

write to the bailiff recorded delivery asking for a screen shot of your account this will tell you what charges the have added to your account

someone with better knowledge than me will be along soon to to help you

if they come to your house do not let them in no matter what they say if you have a car move it away from the house in case they levy it without your knowledge

Solid advice from Hallowitch

t, we set up an agreement with Equita to pay £20 a month(am on benefits)

Why are your payments not being deducted directly from your benefits at the rate of three pounds a week?

every month without fail since then they visit my home and post a hand delivered letter telling me they are coming back to remove my goods

Very persistent!

i have never signed anything or even met them face to face

Then that means they have no right of entry, they have not levied upon anything by the sound of it, and at the very very most have the right to charge fees or £42.50 as has already been said.

when i contact the bailiff by phone he says u have defaulted and its always at the end of the month and thats the reason for the visit, when i explain i have all my reciepts and that they are all stamped by the post office and can prove it he says dont worry about it just keep paying the way u are.

You really must stop talking to bailiffs on the telephone... you should only put all of this in writing/e-mail to them; that way you can prove what you have said.

I have contacted the council detailing all this hassle asking them to take the debt back. They say all my payments are upto date and are not willing to take it back.

So what they are really saying is that they don't care.

Perhaps what you should be doing is involving other people like your local councillor, and your local MP, and the head of revenues -- because with all those people involved, your friendly local council tax worker might just suddenly discover that actually they really do care after all.

What i'm concerned about is all the fees that they may have charged me per visit,today were the 3rd visit this year,not to mention all the stress it causes me each time.

Oh I wouldn't be concerned about that! I would be more concerned about paying them £20 a month out of my benefits, when they may only be, let me stress here MAY ONLY BE entitled to £12 a month paid directly to the council with no fees taken out. There is a template letter knocking about you can use to formally ask the bailiffs to return the account to the Council.

• Haha 1

This may be attributable to the Post Office hanging on to your payment for a few days before it gets forwarded to the bailiff.

Not your fault - or, in this case, the bailiff's.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)