• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Glenn Vs Abbey

Glenn UK
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5500 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I just produced a yearly figure and calculated the interest from 1st June, and then my statements came, You are ok to go with the estimated, but dont forget to put in the letter that this is the estimate, subject to reciept of your statements and that you reserve the right to amend the claim.

Hope this helps

:-)

• Confused 1

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its forty days from when they receive your first letter, if you sent it recorded then the website should tell you when it was delivered :-), if the 40 days is up on a sunday then just send the next letter on the Monday

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

• 1 month later...

I am watching this closely Glenn, because I have charges 93 - 00 which I have held off from claiming and will if you manage to win your undoubted argument with DLA/shAbbey regarding the limitations issue.

Very interesting indeed

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yes, we like that, good call!!!!!whats the phrase I am thinking of??? of yes kakking their pants LOL

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

• 3 weeks later...

• May it please the court, I request that the Defendants claim in respect of the above case is struck out on the basis that the Defendant has no basis for its defence.

• I am aware that the Defendant has recently experienced a large number of claims for the return of charges unlawfully levied on customers accounts

• The defendant has repeatedly acknowledged claims, entered the same defence they entered in this claim, filed allocation questionnaires, attended case management and allocation hearings. (A sample list of 28 cases is attached for your information, See copy marked 1).

• However, the defendant has failed to attend court to defend a single claim to my knowledge and has repeatedly settled claims on the ‘steps’ of the court.

• Further the Defendant has been asked by way of a formal request pursuant to CPR 18 for clarification of any evidence it has to support its defence and it has failed to either acknowledge the request or supply any data (See copy attached, marked 2).

• The Defendant has at its disposal the absolute defence required to defend this claim in its entirety and yet at no time has it ever offered to prove what its costs are in respect of breaches of contract which it claims allows it to levy charges of the magnitude it has done in the claimant and other customers cases.

• In the event that the Court is minded to allow the defence then it is requested that the Defendant is put to standard disclosure pursuant to CPR 28.3(1)a.

• May I respectfully request that the court orders disclosure of:

·

• the defendants costs in relation to the administration of breaches of contract on the part of the claimant; &
    • the defendant provides evidence of its pre-estimates prepared during the period the claimant held its account with the defendant; &
    • the defendant provides all minutes, letters, emails, faxes, records containing references to meetings, discussions or other investigations into the investigation by the Office of Fair Trade into credit card charges; &
    • the defendant provides all minutes, letters, emails, faxes, records containing references to meetings, discussions or other investigations relating to the introduction of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

• The Claimant first requested the return of unlawfully taken charges on the 4th August 2006 and wrote again on the 24th and 26th August 2006. Since the Defendant received these letters they have failed to enter into sincere negotiations or dialogue to settle the claim. I can see no merit in any further delays to attempt a settlement. I would respectfully suggest to the court that the Defendant has attempted to prevent claims being brought against it by every means possible including applications for stays. I believe that in the event that the Court sets a stay in place that this would materially benefit the Defendant at the detriment of the Claimant and justice. I therefore respectfully request this court that the claim is allowed to proceed as quickly as possible to its natural conclusion.

Like this ;)

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Come on Frenchy, you know that you just charmed them with your views on women, which you really must come and start a thread on in the Bear Garden one of these days :p

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Liking it Glenn liking it, I would love to be a fly on the wall when they read this, cant yu feel that money coming to you ;)

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

hmmm Bish, I dont understand, there has been no test cases, unless the Judge wants them to admit that they have never let the matter progress to a court case, thats an interesting one :confused:

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

• 1 month later...

Hi Glenn, you pedantic sod, this is superb :D I at first thought that you would get into trouble for disclosing WP letters, but a little homework (stuff that you already had done) has put me right on this and if anyone want to read the rules on Privelige, Without Prejudice and Without prejudice save as to costs they can read it here Privileged, Without Prejudice, and Without Prejudice Save As to Costs documents. - Alway Associates

• Haha 1

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Hey Lula, that's an excellent piece of info. I have filed it away under 'interesting'. I have a second claim with Abbey and have received exactly the same letters at each stage as the first claim. I have told them I will be bringing this clear abuse of legal process to the attention of the courts. They had marked the letters 'without prejudice' but now I can see that I can present these letters as they are not a genuine attempt at settlement in my opinion.

I have clicked your scales although looking at your reputation I don't think you need it. You must be a bit of a brainbox!

Blushing here Jones, actually, google is a wonderful thing, if in doubt, google it out LOL ;)

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Excellent news, spoke to the court today, told them i had found a 'significant typographical error' in my submission and could i submit a correction, id serve a copy of the defendant too.

Response of 'course no problem' you have plenty of time please just make sure you confirm that you have served a copy on the defendant.

PHEW !!!

Glenn

You could charm the birds from the trees Glenn ;)

Saying that most of the court employees that I have heard about in various courts from various people are absolutely superb and very helpful indeed. Its an excellent way to run things :D

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

• 1 month later...
does n e 1 have contact details for james arrondale, as he is the legal officer i am dealing with?

The delightful sounding Mr Arrandale can be reached at [email protected] or via the telephonic system on 02077564306

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled