I would like to leave now..what are the risks?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5568 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I signed in March 2008 a 2 year contract with my LL, I would like to leave soon though because I just lost my job, and cannot afford a place like that anymore..

It is written in the contract that I have to wait until the end of september 2009 to give a two month notice to the LL.

"This agreement may be terminated by the Tenants upon payment of £50 administration fee and the serving of Two months notice in writing not to be served before 22/09/2009"

I spoke to the landlords and he doesn't want me to leave before November 2009..

What do I really risk if I leave now? I know I can be reliable for rent..but what if I'm unemployed?

Thank you

If you leave now, your deposit will likley be retained and you will likley be taken to court for the outstanding rent up until the end of the contract/November.

There are various ways of the LL enforcing any judgement he may obtain against you, one of which is an attahcement to earnings order. When you are employed again, a portion of your wage will be deducted every week/month until the debt is satisfied.

Are you now now entitled to Local Housing Allowance/any other beinfits? Have you explored the possibility of someone else taking over the tenancy? Paying the marketing fees for the property to be readvertised?

I always think that it is in advisable to sign anything more than a 6 month contract as who knows how your own/landlords cirrcumstances are going to change? (not helpful now but for future reference).