Tiscali Contract, I thought I had cancelled it!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5578 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I applied on line for free broadband with Tiscali, which also meant moving the land line from BT to them, this was back in August last year. when the confirmation came through the post it said they would charge for the broadband, I rang their call centre who said free broadband wasn't available in my area, (even though on line it said it was), so I cancelled my order, and confirmed with BT that I am staying with them.

And now I am receiving phone calls from tiscali saying i have not paid my account, again I rang their call centre, who now say that I only cancelled the broadband and that my land line is with them. They haven't sent me any bills, and the original account details that they sent by email don't work anymore, it says I dont have an account with them. i have emailed and faxed letters across, but no response yet.

As anyone else had this happen to them?

And advice please. I am worried my land line will be cut off, and i will then end up paying BT to put me back on again.

I thought we had been, but on checking it this morning they had stopped collecting the direct debits at the end of September last year. So I know we owe someone. I just thought it was still BT, and not actually having received any Invoices from Tiscali, i dont know what they are charging us, and i had only wanted to move to them with the offer of Free Broadband.

so I cancelled my order, and confirmed with BT that I am staying with them.

How did you do that? Did you get a final bill from BT, you should have done if you 'left' them.

I would contact BT and ask what's going on at their end, they might be pleased that you still want to be their customer. I wouldn't recommend Tiscali, not that I'm a fan of BT either.

Why aren't we revolting?

I rang BT, who confirmed in writing that I was staying with them, and they actually said that Tiscali hadn't put in the order to change over to them. I then got a final bill from BT, I emailed them to tell them they were wrong and that I was staying with them, so they then just cancelled the Invoice. And i thought that was the end of it all.

thanks for the advice, I'll see what BT have to say.

Update - Tiscali said - whoops, sorry our error, will credit you. and now I have no phone line, BT say it wasn't their problem and they are not to blame, and do I want to open up an account with them! Have sent them both emails asking them to sort it out. I expect this is going to cost to be put back on.

I looked at various other providers, but they all say that I have to have BT put my land line back on? Any ideas, is there anyone else I can go to without having to pay BT to put me back on.

If you want the phone back quickly, I would pay BT to put it back on (say in writing why you are doing it) and slug it out with them later for the money back, plus compensation :D. If you have the written confirmation from them they can hardly argue.

Why aren't we revolting?

Thanks for the advice.

BT have now put me back on, without charging me. But now Tiscali, after confirming in an email that they would credit the outstanding account as it was their error etc., have now come back to me asking for the payment, saying that they couldnt credit it after all.

Any idea where I stand with that, Can they say in writing that they will credit it and then come back later chasing it?

I cancelled the order well within the time limit, it was their error, so I don't have a contract with them?

All contracts have a cooling off period, you clearly cancelled it within this time and BT's letter confirms this. So tell Tiscali to go scratch as well. They'll pass it to your friendly debt collector who will soon shut up when you say you got things in black & white so they more than welcome to argue. Get everything in writing, even email, avoid talking to them on the phone.

Advice & opinions given by Stinkyfeet are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. :wink:

Any idea where I stand with that, Can they say in writing that they will credit it and then come back later chasing it?

God no! Sit tight and let them do their worst. In the meantime, send them an email or a letter requesting that they look at it again with a copy of the 'apology'. And ask for compensation. Expect it to take a very long time.

• Haha 1

Why aren't we revolting?

God no! Sit tight and let them do their worst. In the meantime, send them an email or a letter requesting that they look at it again with a copy of the 'apology'. And ask for compensation. Expect it to take a very long time.

I'd agree. Make sure you keep a record of any letters they send and if they start phoning you keep some sort of record (times, dates, etc)

You should be fine, but it won't hurt to be prepared :wink: