• Tweets

• Good luck with that. Most leases don't even follow the majority of the 2002 regulations (too old) let alone the new one. The £250 cap needs to be placed in the lease through a deed of variation and good luck getting freeholders to agree to that. It's not just some magical thing that just caps it one day. Some freeholders are only reducing them through lease extensions at massive costs (essentially buying out the difference in ground rent) and if you're doing that you might as well extend on a peppercorn anyway.
    • Yeah, I would confirm that anyway, as there is a separate sheet where I have to put in those details and my insurance number and driving licence number. That is on page 2 (page one is their allegations) then page three is a statement that you weren't the driver and space to give details who was driving. Page 4 is an empty sheet for a statement to explain the situation. So I will fill out my details as the driver on page 2, admitting I was driving at the time, and then attach my statement as above as a separate sheet. That should hopefully do it at this stage
    • Fraudsters copy the details of firms we authorise to try and convince people that their firm is genuine. Find out why you shouldn’t deal with this clone firm.View the full article
    • Seems OK, except that you must provide your details (as the driver). Include your name, address, DOB and driving licence number. This is to comply with s172 of the Road Traffic Act. Keep a copy and get a free Certificate of Posting from the Post Office.
    • Dear all, some information/advice required please.   I recently received a Further Steps Notice about a fine from 19/03/2018 which I knew nothing about. It was regarding a vehicle parked on the street without tax ( It was covered up and there because the only key to it had been stolen, I had been away from home  and I was having trouble getting a new key cut and coded to the vehicle )  I had not made a change of address to DVLA which would be why I knew nothing about the fine until receiving the final steps notice dated 29th April 2024 and giving me 10 working days to pay, although the notice did not arrive till May 9th 2024. I emailed the London Collection and Compliance Centre on May 13th 2024 asking for any information and they sent me a copy of the original fine. It is for  £390 back vehicle tax, £85 cost and £600 fine.  I now have received a Notice of Enforcement dated 7th June 2024 demanding payment ( total £1036)  or an arrangement by 6am 15th June ( tomorrow )  My question is is it tool late now to question the £600 fine part of the total amount to be paid ? That amount seems punitive.  Would making a statuary declaration regarding having no knowledge of the original court date apply ? And any other advice gratefully received. I am on Universal Credit and apparently they have already taken £177 via benefit reductions which I wasn’t aware of, but does make it seem strange that they were also unable to contact me.    Many thanks for any assistance 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Capital One admitting they are wrong!!

cadencealex
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5595 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Add all charges now matter how much they are.

They really have no choice but to remove the default and a judge would certainly make them do it.

Wouldnt worry about it just sit back and watch them give all your money back.

I just hope it's done in a few months, as I will have 4 things removed then :)

i would not tip them off about the default notice

if you did another Subject Access Request request, they might include the original flawed default notice

just a thought

Might actually be better for me if I do request a new Subject Access Request - because I last got one in 2006 :oops:

Good idea.. it means waiting a while but would be better for me in the long run - especially with getting the Default removed.

Am just going through my credit file, going to attempt to get satisfief Defaults removed too.. seeing as one wont come off until 2011, and Capital One 2014 if I dont do anything about it!

Edit: Can't give you rep, repped too much today!

I knew my account was in arrears but am disputing it because it's almost ALL bank charges.

I ignored them for ages.

I recieve a letter the beginning of December DEMANDING I pay or they default me.

I ring up and pay £50. Ask to set up DD. She tells me she will send me mandate. Never received it.

I check my credit file, see Default.

Guy I spoke to earlier said they didn't give me enough time to pay.. etc etc.. passed me through to collections. HE is even admitting they did this all wrong.

Been on hold for ages waiting now for woman in collections department to see what she can do. Not got time for this either, due in work :evil:

Fingers crossed the **** remove the Default!

UPDATE:

He said that a Default Notice can be issued 33 days from notification.

10th Nov - they issue letter

13th Dec -Default issued

He says that is 33 days. Surely they can't issue it EXACTLY 33 days from the letter being sent out? They have to allow for it to be received?! :rolleyes:

He said he is going to see if they can remove the default for me now and set up DD.

Here's hoping but I doubt it...

And he just came on and said the account was charge off in March yet Defaulted in December which is VERY UNUSUAL and it should happen the other way around?!?!

Am I looking like I have a chance here? Anyone ?

You can't automatically get Defaults removed just by paying the debt off, I'm afraid.

It MIGHT be possible to get a creditor to remove the Default when negotiating a lump sum type payment, but generally speaking, the only thing that happens is that your file will show the default as being satisfied, meaning paid, but it will still show in any search.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thank you for those.

Capital One admitted they had messed up and there was 'unusual activity' on my account and the supervisor who went off to investigate ending up giving me head offices address to write to with 3 complaints.

1. the balance is all charges

2. not given enough time to pay between notice of default, and default

3. my account was actually 'charged off' 9 months before the default (supervisor saying it usually happens the other way around)

So have done my letter and will send tomorrow when I am able to print them all :)

ERC Department

Capital One Bank

PO Box 5281

Nottingham

NG2 3HX

To Whom It May Concern 15th January 2009

ACCOUNT IN DISPUTE

REF: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

I am writing this letter of complaint as advised by two members of your collections Department. Mr Singh and Mr Balash. My complaints are:

1. The illegal charges on this account, which take it well above the Credit Limit

2. A Default has been registered on my account because Capital One have failed to follow the correct procedure

3. I was not given enough time to pay, should I have wanted to, before a Default was placed on my credit file.

Both Mr Singh and Mr Balash agree that the procedure on my account has not been followed correctly.

Notice pursuant to s.10 of The Data Protection Act 1998 and

Notice of intended Data Protection Act complaint.

Whereas I have been a customer of Capital One Bank since 2005 and whereas I consented in my contract with you to the disclosure by you of certain data to third parties, at no time did I consent and neither was it within the contemplation of the parties to the contract that I did consent to the processing by you of that data in any manner which would be unfair or inaccurate or which in any way would breach The Data Protection Act 1998

Therefore Take Notice that I require that you cease from processing within 7 days of the receipt by you of this notice or else that you do not begin to process any personal data of which I am the subject insofar as that processing involves the communication or passing of personal data of which I am the subject to any third party and insofar as the said data relates wholly or in part to the implementation by you of charges which have been applied to my account in respect of defaults or contractual breaches and where the said charges which have been levied at a rate which is in excess of the administrative costs incurred by you as a consequence of the said defaults or breaches contrary to The Common Law.

This Notice is given on the grounds that the processing or continued processing by you of the said data will be likely to affect my credit rating and my reputation and cause substantial damage and/or substantial distress to me and my family members in addition to that which may already have been caused and that as the processing of the said data in the way referred to in this notice would violate the fourth, first and sixth principles of The Data Protection Act 1998 to do so would be unwarranted.

Further take notice That I intend to make a formal complaint to the Information Commissioner and/or to the Courts that you unlawfully hold, process and distribute inaccurate information about me.

This is in addition to any rights which I may choose to enforce under the law of defamation

Do I give them a time limit to reply to this? If so, how long?

• 4 weeks later...

It looks as though it might be. The whole thing is extremely difficult to read though, and even magnifying it doesn't help. Is your unscanned copy any clearer?

• Haha 1

A couple of hundred years ago Meyer Amshel, (1743-1812), founder of the Rothschild dynasty is reported to have told his five sons, “Let me control a nation’s money and I care not who writes its laws”.

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what I have written is my own opinion garnered from reading this forum and consumer legislation, and my own experience of the judicial process.

If I have been helpful, please feel free to tickle my scales!!

It looks as though it might be. The whole thing is extremely difficult to read though, and even magnifying it doesn't help. Is your unscanned copy any clearer?

Yes it's all fine.. I can read it clearly yet when you magnify it on here it blurs!

Only thing I am thinking is.. .there is no separate PPI agreement.. just a tick box and a reference to Term 14 overleaf. Is this OK?

They have Defaulted me comprising mainly of charges anyways, so I have that on them :D

Is that the tick box immediately below the signature box, that has been ticked or the lower one?

If you did apply for PPI, then the agreement falls within s18 of the act (a multiple agreement) and the details (ie amount of insurance, interest rate and total to be repaid) of the PPI need to be shown separately within the signature section of the document.

They certainly seem to be well versed in screwing things up, fortunately. :)

Thanks for the rep.

Edited by DocH

A couple of hundred years ago Meyer Amshel, (1743-1812), founder of the Rothschild dynasty is reported to have told his five sons, “Let me control a nation’s money and I care not who writes its laws”.

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what I have written is my own opinion garnered from reading this forum and consumer legislation, and my own experience of the judicial process.

If I have been helpful, please feel free to tickle my scales!!

Is that the tick box immediately below the signature box, that has been ticked or the lower one?

If you did apply for PPI, then the agreement falls within s18 of the act (a multiple agreement) and the details (ie amount of insurance, interest rate and total to be repaid) of the PPI need to be shown separately within the signature section of the document.

They certainly seem to be well versed in screwing things up, fortunately. :)

Thanks for the rep.

So is this an incorrect CCA then - there is no other terms of insurance etc etc... I am going to double check then!

I want Capital One gone off my credit file!

And just noticed Citibank have defaulted for £685 which is £400 more than my credit limit... was going to let them get away with it as the Default falls off in August but now I want my money back... :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• 2 weeks later...

Defaulted in December 2008. £176/£300 of unlawful charges.

Capital One refusing to remove Default. Offered a partial refund.

I declined, accepted only as part payment... received final response.

Sending LBA tomorrow morning.

To Whom It May Concern

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Having received your final response, I am writing this letter to let you know that I shall issue proceedings in the County Court within 14 days of the date of this letter.

My grounds for doing so are:

The Consumer Credit Agreement in which I ticked a box for Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) does not have any Terms and Conditions, or payment amounts, or interest amounts relating to the PPI. This would make it a Multiple Agreement, however, it would appear unenforceable due to the prescribed terms being incorrect.

The Default balance is for £300. £176 of this is unlawful penalties.

I made a payment of £48 on this account in December after receiving a Default Notice. I refer you to (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain and Co - [2001] GCCR 2255). I was still defaulted despite of this.

The unlawful charges placed on my account

Refusal to cancel PPI by your Customer Advisors

Placing a Default on my Credit File with Experian, Equifax and CallCredit

I request that you remove the unlawful Default you placed on my file, refund all of the unlawful charges that you placed on my account.

Failure to do so within 14 days will give me no other option but to commence proceedings in the County Court.

Yours Faithfully

I doubt I will hear anything from this. Will it be a problem for my defence if I haven't actually outlined ALL of these complaints with Capital One?

I have told them about charges/defaults.. but not the agreement/PPI issues.