Tecso Insurance Questions - Laptop Claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5630 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If an insurance company pays out on an item, it effectively buys the item from you.

For instance if you wrote a car off then in settling the insurance claim the insurance company buys the car from you.

However you should be given opportunity to recover personal items from the wreck, which in your case would be the personal data on the hard drive.

The legality of the cheque/voucher scheme may be covered in that they would probably claim that the value of the laptop is actually £500 (I do not make that valuation - I do not know) and that they are giving you an extra payment in consideration of taking vouchers rather than cash.

Personally I would pay the £30 for the drive (you could possibly ask for them to return the laptop to you while you consider your options and then send return it to them once you have decided, but that would probably cost you more than £30 in postage and it would massively complicate matters)

I would also accept the vouchers and go and buy another laptop from currys or PC world.

this is probably not what you want to hear, but these are my thoughts.

• Haha 1

To be fair - And believe me I Know the point about backing up - but not everyone would be able to back up data from a machine that didnt have a working screen...

(some people wouldnt know how to back up data from a computer WITH a working screen)

your point about backing up is very well made though and as you say - there should have been regular backups while the computer was working.