• Tweets

• Thanks Andy, There will be money left as they own their house. That's why I was thinking it may be cheaper to pay off the debts now, with a discount, rather than in full when the time comes.
    • No hard or fast rules ...if you have referred to it or intend to refer to it and rely on a document as evidence it goes on the list as an exhibit. No you can raise that within your statement but remember that sec 69 is at the discretion of the court a judge may allow the full amount claimed or reduce it to a lower % or none at all. Yes the claimant must serve their N265 on you...any document on theirs that you do not have you can request a copy and then use in your statement. Will it assist your defence ?
    • Hi all, I have previously been helped by the wonderful people on these forums, which helped me out of debt and to a much stronger position that I am in today, for which I am eternally grateful. My debts were all cleared, I now have no debt (apart from a mortgage) and an excellent credit file. I did also show my gratitude with a donation, which even if it helps just one other person out of spiralling debt, it would have been worth it. Sadly, my elderly parents did also run up some debts a few years ago, some through loans and some through credit cards. A few years ago, my father had a medical episode which has left him paralysed on one side of his body and now is confined to a wheelchair, and is pretty much non verbal (he can only manage a handful of words, and gets confused easily). I'm seriously not sure how far any County Court Action would get against him due to his current state, if any of the DCAs were to proceed down that route. Luckily nonw have tried, but can only think that any action would be discontinued by a judge. Before his medical episode he did set up a payment plan with some of the DCAs that were chasing him, which have continused being paid to this day from his bank account. They are literally minimum amounts, but obviously these actions have kept those debts current. However, some of the other debts have since become statutory barred due to the time elapsed since the last COA. My mum does have Power of Attorney over his financial affairs so can act on his behalf, with me as backup if god forbid anything happens to my mum. Their wills are set up for everything to go to the other should either of them pass away, and then to their children upon the passing of both of them, with myself being named as the executor on both of their wills. I have recently been reading up on the role of an executor, and part of the duties is to pay any outstanding liabilities before distributing the remainder of the estate. I have seen, in several instances, of a recommendation of posting about any death in the local newspaper column and the gazette to limit any future liabilities as executor in case of any debts that are unknown to myself. But this does lead me onto the debts I do know about. Am I right in thinking that the current debts that my dad has been making token payments on would have to be repaid in full to the DCAs upon his death? If that is the case, is it worth negotiating a full and final settlement, with a discount, on his behalf now? And with the debts that are statutory barred, am I correct in presuming that they would not need to be paid upon my dad's death as they wouldn't be legally enforcable in court? Thanks in advance for all of your help!
    • Hello AndyOrch For the n265 please would the below list of documents be sufficient ? 1. Pre-Action protocols. Claimant confirmation that they have not complied or have only partially complied (last page of claimants N181 Direction Questionnaire) Dated 16/04/2024 2. Copy of the Lease - Dated 4th September 1998 3. Statement of account (up to 1st Feb 2024) - Dated 20/02/2024 (This shows a slightly different balance to the one included in the Claim form as theirs was only up to 24th Jan 2024) 4. CPR 31.14 Request - Dated 28/02/2024   With regards to the Claimants claim for interest under Section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 where the amount is incorrectly calculated due to the account balance and also appears to be duplicated, should I list their POC ? Additionally should I include any e-mail exchanges (I don't have all as some went to junk and auto deleted due to an issue with my e-mail account and I was reliant on my phone for seeing e-mails) ? I don't have the last e-mail that was sent prior to the claim being issued. I guess that I can ask the claimant for a copy of this one ? The claimant has refused to action the CPR 31.14 request.  Regarding the Section 20 notices relating to the major works, should I include if we have a copy ? Is there anything else that I should include in the list relevant to our defence ? Will the claimant send us a similar list via N265 ? They did include a Continuation Sheet with their N244 giving a background of the case. Just wondering how we know all of the documents that they will rely on.   As always really appreciate any help and guidance that you can provide.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

TheCobbettSlayer v NatWest ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6147 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Today is the last day for Cobbetts to respond to my CPR Part 18 request for disclosure of actual costs.

I know that by them requesting allocation to M-Track they will be forced to disclose (or not) but should I try and hurry things along by giving them a little chase on the Part 18 request and if so, how do I go about it. Shall I ring them, write to them or just go back to court for an order?

Any thoughts

Advice given is either my experience or my opinion and is given without liability. If in doubt, consult a qualified professional.

If you PM me for advice I will only reply in your own thread

Never under estimate your ability. I won over £17,000!

For the full story - look here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/NatWest-bank/17630-thecobbettslayer-NatWest.html

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've just completed an application for an order to made requiring them to respond, that way it automatically comes to the attention of the judge.

Like I said, I know they will be required to disclose when the claim is allocated but I might as well speed the process up if I can.

Advice given is either my experience or my opinion and is given without liability. If in doubt, consult a qualified professional.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/NatWest-bank/17630-thecobbettslayer-NatWest.html

Filed an application for an order requiring Natwest to disclose "The actual cost of administering the alleged breach giving rise each charge particularised by the Claimant". Should be before the District Judge in the next couple of days.

The crowd holds its breath as Shieber makes a strong attacking move on the heart of the defence - will it be "cheque mate?"

Had this from the Court this morning and need some serious guidance now.

IT IS ORDERED THAT

1. THE CASE BE ALLOCATED TO THE MULTI TRACK

2. EACH PARTY GIVE STANDARD DISCLOSURE TO EVERY OTHER PARTY BY LIST

3. DISCLOSURE IS LIMITED TO STANDARD DISCLOSURE BY 4PM ON THE 22ND DECEMBER 2006

4. THE LATEST DATE FOR DELIVERY OF THE LISTS IS 19 JANUARY 2007

5. REQUESTS FOR INSPECTION OR COPIES BE MADE BY 26 JANUARY 2007

6. STATEMENTS TO BE EXCHANGED TO WITNESSES OF FACT SIMULTANEOUSLY BY 4PM ON 10 FEBRUARY 2007

7. PERMISSION IS NOT GIVEN TO USE EXPERT EVIDENCE, NONE BEING NECESSARY

8. LISTING QUESTIONNAIRES BE DISPENSED WITH

9. THE CASE BE LISTED IN THE TRIAL WINDOW COMMENCING 5 MARCH 2007 TO 27 APRIL 2007 WITH A TIME ESTIMATE OF 4 HOURS

What do I need to do now?????

• Haha 1

No chicken counting Jan - I'm going to carry on assuming that they want to take it all the way so I need to start preparing and make sure I get it right

I'm counting on nothing Alan but we'll see.

Any ideas what I should be including in my disclosure. The only document that I seem to be relying on is Bank Statements showing the charges being debited and these are already in the possession of the defence

Paul

Well - I got back from the Xmas protest and p*** up to find a very nice letter from Cobbetts offering me 75% subject to confidentiality and withdrawal of my claim.

I have graciously accepted as an interim payment and will continue until I get the full amount.

There will be a turkey in the Shieber household this Christmas:D

I'll keep you posted on the rest.

Can't you stretch to a goose, tradition and all that.

Actually Jan we are having a goose at the brother in laws. I will now be providing the champagne and caviar.

As for confidentiality Caro - as you may have noticed on Friday - I talk too much:D

Now the serious stuff.

The judge has ordered disclosure by 22nd December. Is it a good idea for either myself or Cobbetts to apply for a stay of the order for a period of say 28 days (as per the option on the AQ) as we may now be able to reach a negotiated settlement?

I really hope it wont take that long to reach agreement on the final amount but I really don't want to do a 200 page disclosure unless I absolutely have to.

Incidentally, there is a very interesting paragraph in Cobbetts letter regarding refinancing of unauthorised bank borrowing. I'm not going to post it on here just yet as it's crucial to my final settlement and as we all know Big Brother is watching but it might just give some other members a good grounding for claims similar to mine and I will definitely post it once I get it all sorted out.

I'm very tempted to force disclosure as it will certainly help others but to be blunt I'm not going to prejudice my settlement.

Just spoken to my dad who used to work for the High Court and he has suggested that I offer Natwest a stay of the disclosure order by consent (we both agree to the stay).

I was talking to BF about this on Friday and he agreed that for me to force disclosure would be a real milestone for CAG but not at the expense of delaying my own claim.

Like I said, I'm not prepared to disclose what they actually said about loan agreements until I get that one sorted but I will post it when they settle.

I'm not going to mention a stay. They have 3 weeks before they have to disclose so I'll keep the pressure on and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update - there's nothing to update!!!:mad:

I wrote back to Cobbetts last week clarifying my position on the loan and accepting the offer made as an interim payment and guess what - nothing.

I suspect that they are going to drag it out as close to 22nd as possible or possibly request confidential disclosure of costs. If they don't settle, I do now have a hearing on 17th January for my application for an order that they respond to my Part 18 request.

My standard disclosure will be ready in plenty of time - the question now is, will theirs?

A little help please guys.

I'm just preparing my disclosure for the court (because they haven't paid me yet!!!) and I'm a little confused.

The court order states:

3. Disclosure is limited to standard disclosure by 4pm on 22nd December 2006

4. The latest date for delivery of the lists is 19th January 2007

What's the difference. If you make the disclosure surely the list is delivered and served at that time.

Thanks

Paul

Thanks chaps - I'll ring the court this morning and see what they say.

I've rung the court and it is apparently a mistake - disclosure is by list before 4pm on Friday, the other reference to delivery of the lists shouldn't be there.

Don't feel badly about being baffled - so were the Court staff for nearly 15 minutes.

My disclosure was delivered to Cobbetts this morning. I know this cos I blew £4.10 and sent it special delivery. The court copy was delivered by hand at 1pm today and accepted. As of then Cobbetts hadn't filed their disclosure.

I'm not going to accept any excuses about Christmas Holidays etc. They have had the same time to file as I have and I've managed it. The court office opens again on Thursday and I'll be there with my application to strike out the defence.

Second failure in this case to file on time!

Like I said, I'm not accepting Christmas post as an excuse for 2 reasons - firstly, the order was made in November. I knew Christmas was happening and I'm pretty sure Cobbetts did as well.

Secondly, Cobbetts subscribe to the DX (Document Exchange) which is a guaranteed next day service for delivery of legal documents between courts and solicitors.

No excuses!

Oh well - the last post before Christmas has just been and no big fat cheque or indeed anything else from Cobbetts.

Bah Humbug!

Application to strike out completed and sitting on my desk. I'll ring the court in the morning and if they haven't filed disclosure I'll be down the the court to file the application.

I'm getting a bit hacked off now:-x

The Shiebers are very definitely rattling sabres now.

Still nothing from Cobbetts so the application to strike out has been submitted.

If nothing else it might provoke some sort of response from them. I'm staggered that they can make me an offer and then ignore all correspondence since.

When this gets sorted I'm going to change my username.

How does "Shieberthecobbettslayer" sound:D

Paul. Mine has just been transferred to the Mercantile Court!

I suspect it won't get there.

Who transferred it? Did you apply for the transfer or was it the District Judge?

• 2 weeks later...

No - He's sat in rainy Mansfield waiting for the postman (again!) so no hot sunny beaches yet or lapdancers - (lapdancers will be a never if Mrs S has anything to do with it.)

I'm not really expecting anything before the hearing on 17th January but we live in hope!

Oh yes I'm still here.

The Cobbetslayer may have the evil witch of the Natwest on the ropes but I suspect she is just licking her wounds before the final skirmish.

It isn't over as they say, until the fat lady sings, so butter up your tonsils lard ass cos I'm coming to get you - in court next week if you have the bottle.