• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Ex-Brighthouse manager available for questions

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3934 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I'm just looking for a little bit of advice on how to proceed.

I defaulted on my agreement at the end of last year and, when I was about 3 weeks in arrears they turned up at my door. I was raging because I knew this was illegal, however these people can be quite intimidating. Anyway I was at work but the person in said I no longer lived there. Anyway, I decided to ignore them and haven't been in touch since. I have also moved home for real now.

Thing is, I did not mean to act deceitfully but I know how abrupt these people can be and to be honest they are a law unto themselves. Now I want to get this sorted but I can't afford to pay the lump sum they will no doubt demand and, in fact, I no longer have any need for the "goods" :rolleyes: that I have so I am more than willing to return them.

How should I best proceed? Will they still harrass me for payment once I have returned the goods? I should have said that my weekly payments were only about £20 a week but that through absent-mindedness I let myself get too far behind.

Your advice is appreciated.

Hi

I used to work for Brighthouse as a manager, my advice to you is if you no longer want the item ask them to come and get it, if they mention the arrears advise you can only aford to pay it back at £1 a week they wont pursue you for money once they have the item back so you wouldnt even have to pay this, and I know they wont take you to court as it isnt viable for them to do this. Anything else just ask

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My turn for a problem.

I have an agreement with Brighthouse which I took out last March 2008. Just before xmas the Phillips dvd surround system broke and did not play dvd's anymore.

Did not have service cover but as within 12 months they said they would repair it. They came and collected from home (inc. remote) but could not provide a loaner as they did not supply surround systems any more.

12 weeks went by :evil:. No calls, no fixed item etc... I went into store and asked for an update - "backlog of faulty xmas items".

Manager agreed that as they could not supply a replacement model, if I got the unit repaired myself they would deduct the charge from my agreement. Manager arranged for the return of my dvd player.

Went to collect dvd - no remote. Phillips cannot repair without the remote. Manager said will get replacement.

Another 12 weeks, 3 wrong remotes ordered and now out of 12 month guarantee period.

What should I do?

Hi

What a nightmare you have had but unfortunatly this is always happening at brighthouse. 1st of all they are are not adhering to their side of the contract as they are not supplying you with an item that is in full working order therefore you can get out of your contract. 2nd they should have a spare remote in the local service centre as remotes are always getting lost from the items hence why the company policy is to not take the remotes when the system goes in for repair. If they order you a remote it will be a universal one as this is cheaper for them to buy in. I would suggest that you ask them to get you an origional remote from ebay and credit your account for the 12 weeks you have been without the system and also for the repair as it is their fault it is now out of gaurentee. But I would get them to repair it and give you a loaner they always have systems available for loan the reason they wouldnt of given you a loaner is that you have no OSC not that they dont do them anymore. Or you can ask for a replacement of a newer model due them failing to keep to their side of the agreement yet you have kept to yours, cause believe me if you missed a payment they would sharp be at your door. Hope this helps

Thanks for this. I gave them a print out from Partmaster (as an ex-Dixons employee) detailing the remote model no. and price and offered to get one. They refused stating that they would order me one themselves. The first remote to come in was indeed a universal remote. I insisted on an original which they agreed but still let me use the universal in the meantime. Since then I have had three incorrect remotes ordered.

The manager has told me that they do not do surround sound DVD systems any longer which is why they cannot supply me with a loaner or replacement.

I have taken my own extra warranty ( with dom and gen) which I do with all of my high priced items and appliances, so can get the unit fixed if necessary. I just don't want to go without a unit for another 12 weeks.

Hi

Email head office off their website as in the terms and conditions they have to supply you with a loaner, also ask the manager what they suppose to do as they arent adhering to the terms and conditions of the osc, (they hate you quoting the T&C's) you will at least get a credit each week its away, keep pushing for your remote again mention this to head office as for every customer that complains the manager's bonus and payrise is at risk so you will find every time you contact head office the store will start to bend over backwards for you. P.S if you arent satisfied with the manager's response after complaint escalate it to a regional manager and further. you get more the higher you go.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3934 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks