• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Part 36 offers**W

andrew1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4292 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Elizabeth a Solicitor acting in PI matter cannot take part of the damages (contingency is not allowed ......yet) They rely on the defense to pay their costs not the claimant.

Also whilst the comments about part 36 offers are quite correct judge must award more etc it's not impossible for a Judge to disregard a lower offer if he thinks a LiP has not had the implication of refusing the offer explained fully by the offeree.

In addition a court may consider that as the LiP has no legal representation to advise or referances to search as to the scale of offer they may in the interests of justice disregard a higher part 36 when it comes to awarding adverse costs

Although having said all that I wouldn't want to be the one to chance it

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a Pt36 offer is not a genuine attempt to settle but merely a tactic then you can ask the court to consider disregarding it when reaching a judgment. You would have to explain your reasons ei the behaviour of the other side

• 2 weeks later...

1st ALL infant offers should be approved by a court whether issued or not.

2nd what solicitor costs? Its correct that a solicitor will incur some costs by having to investigate to establish any chance of winning BEFORE entering into a CFA but once entered into the CFA is retrospective in the matter of costs. Also it's normal practice to accept an offer 'subject to costs being assessed if not agreed', so I still not clear what they are claiming

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Surfaceagent having seen the CFA I concur with your opinion.

This CFA is a standard Law Society approved document I also agree it's customary for the winning party to either issue costs only proceedings or more likely negotiate a settlement of costs. If there is a reduction agreed between parties without the consent of the client (which is usual) then any reduction is to the liability of solicitor & not the client.

I have to say that on the basis of what I have seen I'm very surprised that a firm such as these should make such a fundamental & serious mistake which may have unwanted consequences

Andrew having read your post 78 the answer no it cannot. What was agreed was what is agreed. They cannot alter it without invalidating the part 36 offer meaning the court may consider it not to be a genuine attempt to settle

I should write back & remind them they have arbitrarily altered the terms of the agreement which you reject a fact which you will bring to the attention of the court should the matter go to disposal.

This assumes you have evidence of what was agreed

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Write back I say something like "I refer to your letter & see no purpose in entering into protracted and fruitless correspondence and will only state again that your offer and subsequent confirmation letter does not match the Tomlin Order prepared by you"

• 1 month later...

Humbbleman offering the bank 75% is very generous.

Personally if I were your friend after having such an offer refused I would let the bank do their worst. It'll be them who will be the losers as the court will only take into account the income of your friend

• 3 weeks later...

What they have done is very serious as well as being very unprofessional. They should have allowed the cheque to clear as it did THEN if issued by mistake asked your son to refund payment. They should not have stopped the cheque period

Now you must report them to the LCS as well as seeking damages for any losses ie bank charges etc

PLEASE NOTE The correspondence sent with the cheque is important in that if it warned against cashing the cheque if you didn't agree with the settlement then you may not have a case

ST in this case the BC is irrelevant. This is a matter whereby a solicitor has stopped a cheque given to a client WITHOUT 1st informing them of their intentions or more properly demanding repayment if they believed it to be paid in error.

Stopping a client's cheque is a big no no particularly as in this case it caused the client to go overdrawn something which must have been forseeable

• 2 months later...