HMV-RLP 15 year old boy demand £125.00

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5722 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone. I wonder if anyone can shine a light on this situation:

3 1/2 years ago my son (then aged 15) and two friends were caught shoplifting from HMV. The goods were recovered and the boys were arrested. After being interviewed they were eventually cautioned as it was a first offense, and they received a ban from the shop.

Anyway, shortly after that, a debt collector wrote to my son of behalf of their clients - assume they mean HMV (still 15 years old) informing him he had to pay £125. I phoned the police and was told at the time they were not allowed to persue payment from a minor. I phoned the debt collector and told them this and told them not to write to my son anymore.

It went quiet until this year when my son turned 18. Now he's had about 3 letters threatening him with court if he doesn't pay up. Are they allowed to do this now he's 18?

They are not persuing the other boys involved. I'd appreciate any help with this please if anyone can help.

Thanks

Guest Old_andrew2018

What they are doing is known as civil recovery, IMHO I think they may be able to pursue him, the problem is a lot of information on the internet comes from these companies themselves so they may be economical with the truth.

Are you prepared to state the companies name, and up load any letters please remove any personally identifiable information first

Andy

Hi, thanks for replying Andy. The company is Retail Loss Prevention or Retails Prevention I believe. I will locate the letter - and make a scan (with edits to personal details) as soon as I've found it - I had it a couple of days ago and put it somewhere 'safe' which I now can't remember...

Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi

To be honest I expected it to be them, as I stated earlier a search of the internet often finds this company popping up, look at another thread via this thread it gives some information about RLP http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-consumer-issues/157106-please-help-did-i-2.html#post1678905

Regards

Andy