• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

G8_Summit v First Direct **SETTLED IN FULL**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6474 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

Initial letter sent yesterday asking for details of charges.

Can anyone tell me if, after having received a refund of charges, First Direct are no longer charging them for things like going over the OD limit etc ???

I've just worked out that I've paid £200 in charges in the last 2 months. Its scary how much money thet take without you taking much notice :eek: .

Can't wait to work out the full amount for 6 years and then start the process of claiming it back :D

Once this one's done and dusted, then I'll start with the credit cards, loan accounts etc.

If I get all these charges refunded, I feel a holiday coming on !!!

(and a donation to CAG too ;) ).

I'll keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hooray - statements arrived yesterday by courier - 300 odd sheets plus notes (makes very scary reading !!!)

Total of charges comes to in the region of £1800 !!!

Time to add in the debit interest bits.

BTW, anyone had any luck with claiming for more than 6 years charges. I have had my account with FD since 1992, so another 8 years worth of charges would surely mount up.

I have sent off my preliminary approach letter. I didn't add any overdraft interest as the amounts were very small (50p etc) and it was confusing the bigger picture.

The clock has now started - tick tock....

BTW, anyone had any luck with claiming for more than 6 years charges. I have had my account with FD since 1992, so another 8 years worth of charges would surely mount up.

Some people have claimed back 6 years to be on the safe side and when they get their money try claiming further back. It is still relatively untested, so best to stick to the tried and tested 6 years first to make absolutely sure that you get that. Maybe look into that later, so you don't jeopardise your claim.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

I am at a similar stage to you i have sent the LBA, they have until the 18th to respond before i go to money claim, am getting excited now, you would think tho they would stop being silly and if someone has gone this far just pay them back as i have nothing to loose my account is closed, so am getting that money back. Good luck !

I'm thinking about not claiming for the interest either as its very confusing, do you think it will have an effect on your claim?

cheers

sixx

First Direct:x

Received statements

Total = £832 + £105.64 interest

14/09/06 Offer of £676 received

I have just registered on Moneyclaim website and was have a go at entering a claim in preparation !!

I have to say that it is a bit of a minefield trying to fill in the Particulars of claim.

I used the text from the templates and then added the bit about the 8% interest as prompted by the moneyclaim site. The text then looked like this:

The Claimant has an account (numbered

XXXXXXXX) with the Defendant which is

conducted under their standard terms and

conditions. The Claimant claims the return

of money taken by the defendant in the way

of charges over the last six years. These

charges are a disproportionate penalty and

therefore unenforceable as they are contrary

to common law. Further, as a

disproportionate penalty they are invalid

under the Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977

s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer

Contracts Regulations 1999. Para.8 and sch.2

(1)(e). In the event that the charges are

not a penalty then they are unreasonable

within the meaning of the Supply of Goods

and Services Act 1982 s.15. The Claimant has

repeatedly asked the bank to justify their

charges but they have declined to do so. The

claims: a) GBP n,nnnn.nn taken in charges

taken at various dates between nn/nn/2000

and nn/nn/2006. b) Court costs. c) Interest

pursuant to section 69 County Courts Act

1984 at the rate of 8% a year from nn/nn/nnnn

to nn/nn/nnnn of GBP nnn.nn and also interest

at the same rate up to the date of judgment

or earlier payment at a daily rate of GBP nn.nn.

Now this is way too long and without spaces and blank lines it is almost unreadable.

I think someone needs to put an exact template of the text required for this in the templates folder. Any mods care to oblige.

As far as I can see, all the text I have got above seems to be required. What can I take out ??

You could either take it into court and do your claim on an N1 form which has more space, or just go through and take out anything you can so it still makes sense, but includes everything necessary. The thing is you need to understand exactly what you are taking on when you get to the court stage and should be able to manage it yourself now that you hopefully understand the process and legalities. The template for this is just an example but is not suitable for everyone. It would be impossible to have templates for every eventuality. The site is about empowering people to help themselves, not doing everything for them. We are all volunteers giving our own time freely. Give it some thought and I am sure you could find ways to make it fit.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Right then, decision time.

FD sent me a letter in response to my LBA.

Blah Blah don't agree blah blah.

FD is however mindful of the management time blah blah and is willing to make a payment in the sum of £1685.00 in full and final settlement.

This is £200 short of my claim, but no small claim necessary and I would get the money next week.

Its sooooo tempting.....

Accept it as part payment and tell them you will pursue the balance throught the court.

Nice one Caro. I have just sent them this:

Dear Mr Kernaghan,

Thank you for your letter dated 16th August and the kind offer that it contained. I would be more than willing to accept this a part payment against my claim.

As I have stated in my previous letters I believe that the regime of 'fees' which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

My argument is that the bank's charges are a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law. Further, as a disproportionate penalty they are invalid under the Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977 s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Para.8 and sch.2(1)(e). In the event that the charges are not a penalty then they are unreasonable within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15.

I have repeatedly asked the bank to justify their charges but to date you have declined to do so.

Therefore I would again request that you refund these charges. The new amount is £xxxx.xx - this includes the recent charges highlighted in your letter. If I do not recieve a satisfactory response from yourselves by my original deadline I will commence proceedings against you as previously stated.

Yours faithfully,

I even sent it in their reply paid envelope !!

Lets see what happens now - anyone care to guess ??