• Tweets

• So sorry it's took me a few weeks to respond back to you. Thank you so much for your response. My grandfather is clear about the pension deductions on his pay slips.  As I mention before all these went missing in the burgarly. We have tried Willis Tower Watson but they were not to helpful. I am stuck what we can try next. Thank you again.     
    • As a rough guess it would be your landlord who would be responsible. But you need to understand the extent of your losses before you can begin any claim. This means that you need to list out any expenses to which you have been put, any expenses which would be associated with repairing damage or cleaning et cetera. And then list out the inconvenience to which you have been put as a result of this. Any actual expenses – money loss which has been incurred already all that is likely to be incurred in result of repairs will need an inspection and to quotations which eventually you will present to the landlord. Even if I'm wrong and it is not the landlord – you will still need the evidence that I have listed above in order to begin any claim.  
    • Hi, I have been renting a three bedroom, top floor flat for six years now in England. Just so you know, there is a letting agent, landlord and a block management company involved. Eighteen months ago we had a considerable leak in one of the bedrooms, affecting the next door bedroom as well but not as badly. This led to a lot of damage to the ceiling and the formation of mould within the first bedroom and to a lesser extent in the second bedroom. As far as we are aware, the leak has only recently been sorted by the block management company(who owns the roof etc…) Just over three weeks ago, a large inspection hole was cut into the ceiling, the workmen (instructed to come by block management) who undertook the work did not put any dust sheets down over any of the furniture, causing an incredible amount of dirt and debris throughout the entire flat, rendering the room unusable. We were left on a Friday afternoon with a gaping hole and no instruction as to what was going to happen next. Only after contacting our letting agent to inform them about the state of the bedroom had been left in, with a gaping hole and bits of debris falling, did they come to do a temporary fix to cover the hole which was after a week. As the bedroom is still unusable. My daughter has for more than three weeks been sleeping in the lounge. The letting agent did offer to get the place cleaned, but we see no point until the job has been completed. My landlord has reduced my rent by £200 for the past couple of months and is now wanting full rent regardless of the work being incomplete. A plan has been put in place, however, we have not been given a timeline for when these will be completed and this could take some considerable time. In addition to this, there was a leak in the kitchen but this was very minor, and we have a major condensation issue in the bathroom as the extractor fan is apparently not strong enough so the ceiling is covered in mould which is now being revealed as the paint is flaking off. The problem we have is that the building (roof etc..) is managed by a block management company. My letting agent has basically said that the damage is the responsibility of the block management and this nothing to do with the landlord, and therefore, does not want to give us any compensation. What are my rights as a tenant in this situation? Am I entitled to a continued rent reduction or additional compensation given the ongoing uninhabitable condition of the bedroom and the disruption this has caused? I have attached photos as supporting evidence and would be very grateful for your advice. https://imgur.com/a/yfm4FP9 Should you require any further information, please let me know. Thanks in advance! 😁👍
    • I have just read it again and I see that you say that you are going to be claiming for time and stress. This is not recoverable loss so I think that you should leave it out.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

British Gas -v- Southern Electric

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5854 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm new the this forum and am asking for some help and guidance. Having recently moved my mother-in-law who is in early stages of demntia, it seems that someone from both Southern Electric and British Gas have been in touch with her and she has agreed for both to supply gas and electric. I'm now in the middle of a bun fight!

MIL has not signed anything (her previousl contracts were more than 40 years old) and I've been told that her verbal conversation with the 'nice chap who wanted to make sure I was okay' was sufficient authority.

Is this correct? How do I cut through the red tape and make sure she's not cut off by either and left wanting?????

I would doubt if she hasnt signed anything then she is still with her original supplier. What I would do is phone the supplier and ask them to carry out an MPAN check. This is a database of all utility meters throughout the Country which identifies who supplies the individual meters, you will probably need the meter numbers, the account number and some form of authorisation from your MIL (Data Protection and all that)

Tried this. Originally she had BG for the Gas and SE for the Electric - so both are claiming to be her original supplier. I did ask for the check to be done and was bounced round the houses - both claimed to be the supplier.

Ended up - we have written to SE to say that a) she had no new contract or terms & conditions from them but BG had sent this through for the new electrical supply and b) the transcript of the call indicated that the person she spoke to originally had not stated that her verbal 'yes that sounds nice' was a binding contract! Also, there was no mentioned from SE that she had a 7 day cooling off period. :shock:

You need to contact both original suppliers, let them know you are acting for MIL, and tell them that she does not wish to change supplier, whatever one company may say to the other.

Get them to confirm, in writing, that they have been instructed to remain as the desired supplier for whichever utility they are providing...if they are approached by any other supplier regarding changing, they are to get written confirmation from you before any actions and decisions are taken...

I spent a year and a half working for SSE when the domestic energy markets were deregulated...to think that these practices are still occurring is disgusting...to switch supplier WRITTEN and SIGNED consent is required...all a verbal agreement does is confirm that they can send a form for you to sign requesting the change...it does not confirm the change itself...

Whilst you are at it, send a complaint to OFGEM, outlining your concerns at the treatment of a frail and vulnerable member of society...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Squeaky,

Just a thought - whilst she is still in the early days of dementia, you or your wife should get a Power of Attorney - BEFPORE SHE DETERIORATES. The strange thing with a power of attorney is that the person has to be aware enough to know what they are doing, when they sign over their financial dealings to you or your wife. The power of attorney that you want is an enduring one. Then any person who wants something from your MIL has to get your authority by law. I had this problem with my father in law a couple of years ago. Best of luck.

Cheers - Scousegeezer.

Thanks.

Have done as suggested, and discussions are going on about an 'enduring power of attourney' so all sons have to agree/sign rather than one having total control - solicitor reckons it will save a lot of arguments later. If we all sign then one cannot what has been done.