Landlord never gave me a contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5851 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I originally signed a contract at a shared rental student property in September 2007. It was a 52-week contract, but I discussed with the landlords only staying until June. They agreed but never sent out a new contract. In addition to this I have never received a copy of the original contract (despite regular pleas and equally regular promises that it had been posted - excuses included that the wrong postcode had been used). Now two of my flat-mates have ended their tenancy early (paying until the end of April) without any problems. The flat is in a poor state of repair (for instance, even a visit from the council stating that fire doors needed to be installed immediately went unheeded) and I too ended my tenancy. I sent a letter at the end of March giving four weeks notice that I would be leaving in April.

Now I am being threatened with legal action to recoup rent until "at least" the end of June. Can I be legally bound by a contract which was verbally altered and which I never received a copy of?

Any insights welcome.

Many thanks