• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

C.C.A. turned up after 12 months???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5501 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI,

Im gonna fax the county court in the morning stating that i havent recieved the information i requested within the stated time? Could anyone help with the letter i am sending please ie; how to word it properly etc-many thanks,

regards-BIG AL

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was what we said - edit as needed:

Fax to our local County Court

March 2008

Claim Number

CL Finance Ltd v Goldlady's OH

The claimant has still not responded to the defendant’s Subject Access Request dated December 2007, which was requested under s7 of the Data Protection Act 1998. A copy of that letter, together with a reminder sent today follows this fax.

Apart from the missing statements previously notified to the court the defendant has not at any time received a notice of assignment of the debt from the original creditor. Additionally in a letter dated April 2007 the claimant confirmed that the assignment was not absolute by refusing to accept responsibility for charges on the account and requesting that the defendant refer back to the original creditor, GE Money.

In view of this the defendant wishes to put the claimant to strict proof that they are the absolute assignee of this debt and therefore have the right to issue proceedings.

A vital part of the defence is the Payment Protection Insurance applied to the account. The defendant estimates that this accounts for at least 50% of the outstanding amount however cannot give an accurate calculation of this figure due to the absence of statements for the 26 months between xxx 2004 and xxx 2006. Additionally no record of payments made during that period can be provided, therefore the defendant cannot be certain that all payments made have been allocated to the account.

In view of the above the defendant respectfully requests that the court considers issuing an ‘unless order’ whereby if the information requested in the defendant’s legal request dated xx December 2007 is not supplied to the defendant within seven days that the claim be struck out.

Goldlady's OH

March 2008

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Hi Goldlady,

I sent the fax off to the county court on monday stating that link financial had not complied with my request for information to provide a defence within the 14 day time limit that i had given them! But in the meantime the information has arrived from LINK comprising of a copy of my original CCA, a letter showing the sale of my debt and a statement of every payment ive ever made on the account!

Whats my next move?

Can i have them for not providing the info within the 14 day time limit?

What will be the courts next move?

Im getting very worried that the court may just side with LINK and make me pay the full amount which is nigh on impossible at the moment!

OK so now we need to look at the reason that you still owe them so much.

My thought is to to a counterclaim for all the charges and interest on them.

Can you work out how much you have been charged from what they have sent?

BANK CHARGES

Others

Hi Goldlady,

Ive had a scan through the statements and it seems ive got 2 accounts? one for the original £1000 and one for the £139 loan protection plan we took out over the 10 yr term of the loan? So ive been getting charges and interest on 2 accounts(which i was not explained would happen at the signing of the original CCA!)

Can i e-mail you the statements as you will understand them better than me.

regards-BIG AL

Hi goldlady,

Thanks for your help- we paid the loan every month and when we split up i carried on the loan monthly myself-the only time i havent paid is when i read on this website about applying for a copy of CCA-because it took them 12 months to produce it i didnt pay anything during this period?

regards-BIG AL

My nosiness is going to get the better of me... :oops:

Did you have any reason to believe the agreement was not legal then?

(Just because most of us who are doing the CCA route are in the hands of the dastardly debt collectors already and having problems!)

When you've had all the help you need, make sure you stick around to help others too!

Just think, if everyone left the site after they'd got their help, there might not be anyone left the next time YOU come back needing more assistance!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Goldlady,

Ive been really busy in last fortnight or so dealing with a speeding charge i was facing and having to go to court about and which i was contesting(CPS dropped the case due to lack of evidence!)that i put the LINK case on the back burner-to my horror i received a letter the other day from Northampton County Court stating they had awarded judgement to the claiment? The only thing is there is no mention of my name anywhere on the letter? It is addressed to my ex and her name is the only one on the letter?

Any help?

regards-BIG AL

Did you not put in a defence, or state that you intended to defend? At the very least it should have been transferred to your local court. I will not be online properly till tomorrow. Was the claim against both of you? At the same address?

BANK CHARGES

Others

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell20 viewpost.gif This agreement is unenforceable. Can you update where you are with this?

Hi Tinkerbell20,

Just wondering why you think this agreement is unenforceable?

Edited by questioning

Hi Goldlady,

Yes i sent a fax to the court like you advised me too and received a nice letter off the court stating that they had received it and that LINK had so long to respond with the relevant information that i had requested!

Like i said the next thing i know a letter came to my old address with just my ex"s name on it? Come to think of it the original county court claim did come in seperate envelopes with each of our names on it? Obviously because i no longer have any contact with my ex or know where she lives i just put her letter on the side? Do you think because i havent responded to that letter at all that they are trying to be crafty and get the judgement against her alone because i havent received a thing off the court since their letter stating that they had received my fax?

Im starting to get a bit worried because i dont know my next move and i certainly dont have the £1510 that LINK are demanding!

regards-BIG AL

Hi BigAL,

In my case my husband and I got sent seperate claim forms for the same joint account, (We are together by the way) although they were seperate they had the same claim number.

In this case if I had of defended in full and say my husband hadn't bothered to defend then a judgment by default would have been entered against us. So in these circumstances you both need to defend. This information was given to me on the telephone from the court, not from this site.

Sounds as if you are right about them getting a judgement against the ex. Presumably this is at your address. But if you genuinely don't know how to contact her then they can't really do much. I am not sure what you should do now, but hopefully someone will be able to help...

BANK CHARGES

Others

• 2 months later...

Ive heard nothing from LINK since i sent off the letter requesting further information off them! Until that is a letter dropped on my doorstep from Northampton County Court this week stating that i have to appear in my local court in barnsley and there is a form attached to submit a defence by 13th november? I"ll be totally honest and tell you i dont know my next move and would apprieciate any help or guidance you could give me-I do seem to remember somebody on here saying that my CCA was unenforcable due to the PPI being added to the loan? And after checking all my statements it does appear that i have been paying interest on 2 seperate accounts! one for the loan and one for the PPI.

regards-BIG AL

Hi All,

Any help or advice would be greatly appreiciated as i dont want to turn up at court empty handed and let LINK FINANCIAL walk all over me!

Do i have a case with the un-enforcable CCA because the PPI was added to the loan?

regards-BIG AL

• 1 month later...

BigAl, can you give a brief re-cap of what is happening now and a sequence of events. It will be easier for me and anyone else who might be able to help you without reading back four pages.

I know you are defending a court claim from Link and that the CCA which is posted above is potentially unenforceable due to the PPI being added into the opening balance. You have until around 4th January to get a defence into the court, presumably this means you have sent certain documents to the court - can you clarify?

If I can't help I will find people who can.;)

BANK CHARGES

Others

Hi Goldlady,

And thanks again for offering to help me i am really worried about whats going to happen in court!

All i have received off the courts so far is a letter asking did i want to put in a defence against Link Financial and i said yes and filled in an allocation questionaire that was attached to the letter and sent it back.

The next letter i received from County Court read ; Unless the 2nd defendent files an allocation questionaire by 4pm on the 1st dec 2008 the defence or counterclaim will be struck out and the claiment will have permission to enter judgement against the defendent for the amount of its claim,interest and fixed costs!

I then phoned the County Court to explain that i have no contact whatsoever with the 2nd defendent and they said to ignore the previous letter and that they would send out a new one-which i have since received and is the one that has given me a county court date of 20th jan 2009

regards--BIG AL

How much are they claiming and how much do you reckon was paid off? I have just had another look at the alleged agreement and it seems you would have had to pay £2889.60 to borrow £1000.:eek: And it was from eight years ago. I think the PPI has to have a bearing on your defence but need to know more. Link can be fought off as mostly they buy borderline unenforceable debts and they know this.

BANK CHARGES

Others

I will have a think about this and come back to you tomorrow.;)

BANK CHARGES

Others