• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5990 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey there,

I have just within the past two hours received a visit from a bailiff who works for Drakes with an order for £667 for my husband’s speeding offence. (Four MPH above the limit, but fair enough, he was caught on camera.) The bailiff stated that he was legally entitled to take whatever he wanted from us today unless the fine was paid, or my husband could be arrested. He also said that they didn’t accept cheques and we couldn’t pay it bit by bit, it had to be the full amount in one lump sum.

Naturally I was somewhat flustered by this, took the sheet of paper he handed out and was told that it needed to be sorted yesterday. My husband is away in London for work and so I couldn’t get hold of him immediately and the bailiff said to have my husband call him and he went on his merry way.

I managed to get hold of my husband after an hour and he has since spoken to the bailiff and then to the court and was basically told that he had to pay the full amount to Drakes by a guy with a “don’t ask me guv, I only work here”, manner.

We really just wanted to know where we stand on this. Do we have to pay the full amount to Drakes, or can be settled with the court now? Can this guy enter our home without a warrant and take whatever he fancies? Do we really have to pay the whole lot in one go?

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Bailiffs cannot enter your house and sieze goods. They can enter through an open door or window though. DO NOT let the bailiff in under any circumstances, even if they are being nice.

Contact Northampton county court and ask for a late statutory decleration, have the pcn number handy. This will put the bailiffs action on hold.

Bailiffs can and will take your car, so hide it somewhere.

All I ask is to be treated fairly and lawfully.

Bailiffs cannot enter your house and sieze goods. They can enter through an open door or window though. DO NOT let the bailiff in under any circumstances, even if they are being nice.

Contact Northampton county court and ask for a late statutory decleration, have the pcn number handy. This will put the bailiffs action on hold.

Bailiffs can and will take your car, so hide it somewhere.

This has nothing to do with Northampton County Court. It's a Magistrates Court fine and the bailiff CAN enter and seize goods by peaceful entry. Although the power of forced entry is rarely used, if the Police are present to ensure there's no breach of the peace, legal entry can be gained by use of a locksmith.

Maedmonath

He also said that they didn’t accept cheques and we couldn’t pay it bit by bit, it had to be the full amount in one lump sum.

The Bailiff won't accept a cheque because it's not cleared funds, just a promise to pay. Whether the bailiff is willing to accept part payments depends on the value he places on your goods and your ability to pay in his opinion.

I managed to get hold of my husband after an hour and he has since spoken to the bailiff and then to the court and was basically told that he had to pay the full amount to Drakes

I'm afraid the bailiff's £225 fee is the financial penalty for not settling the Court debt earlier. Despite popular belief amongst some, the Courts don't forget about unpaid fines.

Do we have to pay the full amount to Drakes, or can be settled with the court now?

Unless the bailiff decides to send the warrant back to Court I'm afraid you'll have to settle with Drakes.

Do we really have to pay the whole lot in one go?

Drakes prefer this if possible but the decision rests with the executing bailiff. If he hasn't levied against household goods or clamped your car and you really can't make the payment, try to appeal to his better nature. I'm sure he'd much rather settle in two installments than none at all.

With that said, I speak as a bailiff myself . There are plenty who'll advise you to completely ignore the bailiff. At the end of the day, this is down to personal preference. If you couldn't give two hoots about what your neighbours think and have little or no goods of value then you may wish to ignore him. However, if the bailiff has good grounds to believe you're avoiding him on purpose, there is the danger of a no bail arrest warrant.

Certificated Bailiff

New fee structure as of 1st Jan.

Debt £1-£400 Admin £50 + Attendance £175 = £225 Fees

Debt £400+ Admin (20% of Fine) + Attendance £175 = XXX Fees

In fact looking more closely, if the new fees have been applied as instructed the debt would be:

Fine: £410

Admin: £82

Attend:£175

Total : £667

Fees: £257

Certificated Bailiff

Only a baliff acting on behalf of the court in the recovery of "TAX" can force entry!!! ONLY TAX!

If it is Council TAX or income TAX the word TAX must be on the warrant!

HMR&C (HM Revenue & Customs) have their own police and if they come they seize everything and give you a paper suit!

If it is not TAX they can seize your car but they can not enter your property by force!

Using a locksmith is force.

A bailiff can not issue a warrant for arrest only a court!

Only the Police (HMR&C) & DPP can request a warrant for arrest if they can show good reason!

The police can NOT give access to your property! If you open the door to the police & if the police allow a Bailiff to enter your property then they have given forced entry! "facilitated entry without lawfull consent" (its grey but it stuck once years ago so a good solicitor can dig it out)

If the police have been called to prevent a breach of the peace they must not interfere! The police CAN NOT oblige you to open the door for a bailiff unless it is in relation to the recovery of "TAX" for HMR&C. (then they just kick it in)

YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO OPEN YOUR DOOR TO ANYONE EVEN THE POLICE! (unless they have a court order to gain entry by "ANY" means usualy a ram)

YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO RESPOND TO ANYONE AT YOUR DOOR EVEN THE POLICE!

YOU CAN LEAVE THEM STOOD AT YOUR DOOR TILL HELL HAS FROZEN!

THEY CAN KNOCK & WAIT ONLY!!!! (unless they think a crime is being commited or a life is in danger)

LOCK ALL YOUR DOORS & WINDOWS!

PASS THE POLICE A MOBILE NUMBER FOR THEM TO RING YOU & EXPLAIN THAT AS YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO ALLOW THEM ENTRY YOU WILL NOT BE DOING & AS SUCH NO CRIME IS OR WILL BE COMMITED!

DO NOT PROVOKE OR BAIT THE POLICE OR BALIFF!

CALL A SOLICITOR OR CAB (citizens advice) IF YOU CAN!

The police can explain their reason for being there through the letter slot or by telephone or by passing notice to you through the letter slot. They should then withdraw & OBSERVE ONLY!

If a bailiff can not recover the debt from you they MUST pass it back to the originator who can begin a prosecution against you. It is still unlikley that you will be arrested! You will usualy receive a letter in the post requesting you come to court. If you do not attend court usually after several missed dates then & only then the court MAY issue a warrant!

In this case you will probably be arrested spend a few hours in a cell before being either bailed or released on your own recognasance untill your court date... Mostly the police wont persue you untill the day you are due in court!

If you are arrested it will be for failing to appear NOT for failing to pay the debt!

You will only be arrested and held if your offence has a significant prison term.

The police do not require a warrant to enter your home! They only need resonable suspision that a criminal offence is being commited! A warrant is only required in the USA

The police will only obtain a warrant to cover their backs in the event they get the wrong house.

A court order is REQUIRED for the confiscation of any GOODS &/OR MONIES

NEVER ALLOW A BAILIFF INTO YOUR HOME!

NEVER OPEN YOUR DOOR TO ANYONE UNTIL YOU KNOW WHO THEY ARE!

AS SOON AS YOU ARE NOTIFIED OF A FINE ARRANGE TO PAY OR APPEAL!

A BAILIFF CAN ONLY REMOVE LISTED GOODS!

Only a baliff acting on behalf of the court in the recovery of "TAX" can force entry!!! ONLY TAX!

Incorrect. A bailiff carrying an HMCS warrant for an unpaid fine can (under certain circumstances) use reasonable force by way of a locksmith to gain entry to a property. This power is reserved only for the few who clearly have the means to settle such fines but refuse to cooperate. Although this is "forced entry" it's classed as peaceful because the police would always be called to ensure no breach of the peace occurs.

A bailiff can not issue a warrant for arrest only a court!

I'm sorry, I never meant to infer this but I can see how my comment could be misread now. As you say, only the court can issue an arrest warrant for unpaid fines. However, for persistant offenders who refuse to cooperate, arrest warrants are issued by the courts on the strength of evidence supplied by the enforcing bailiff. No letters, just arrest and straight to court. I speak from experience here. One chap I've had several dealings with over the years has a house which is virtually impregnable due to the 15ft stone wall and gates surrounding his property. When he told us in no uncertain terms to go away and the court could whistle for their money (several thousand for multiple serious offences) we arranged a no bail arrest warrant immediately and lifted him at his place of work. :D

A court order is REQUIRED for the confiscation of any GOODS &/OR MONIES

I'm not sure if you were challenging the legality of the bailiff's actions while enforcing an HMCS warrant but that's exactly what the warrant is - a court order to remove goods. Funnily enough, cash is exempt from seizure unless it can be proved it belongs to the debtor!

NEVER ALLOW A BAILIFF INTO YOUR HOME!

Oh come on, play fair. I'm a law abiding citizen who always pays his bills and never gets into trouble. If everyone refused to answer the door to me, I wouldn't be able to feed my wife and children!! :D

Certificated Bailiff