• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Breach DPA what can I claim for

thesergeant
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5667 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What can I claim?

Kensington mortgages falsely placed a default (Late payment marker) on my credit file. This took several letters and phone calls to resolve. Which they begrudgingly did.

I asked them for £75, they offered £25 which I turned down. I want to pursue my costs.

I have now found that they have only taken the default off of Equifax. It is still on my Experian file.

Should I pursue a claim with the ICO or should I pursue via County Court claim. Can I claim for costs for making them amend their breaches of the DPA?

Advice please ................. :D:D

There is no such thing as impossible; only the degree of difficulty required to achieve the desired outcome.

Read through the

FAQ Section.... Use these links :grin:

Like what I say show - add to my reputation (click the scales!)

My advice & opinions are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

Halicrap - Full settlement 12/06 £408.34

Crapitol 1 - Settled in Full 27/04/07 £15808-)

All & Pester - Claim served £5695 4/09, Stayed

Woolsnitch mortgage accounts - Claim served £2995 4/09, application to strike out 06/09

Lloybles - No CCA, CPR disclosure notices served.

Guest louis wu

I think you need to contact them and ask why the Experian record has not been removed. You may have to find out if the fault lies with the CRA or kensington mortgages before you escalate this (especially with regards to a court claim, as this should always be a last resort)

I believe Call Credit are also a recognise CRA now, so it may be worth checking with them to see if the default has been removed

Order your Callcredit credit report

best of luck

louis

Thanks for the reply.

What are my rights to fair compensation for there breach of the DPA and reticence to remove the default notes. Especially considering that they are fully aware of the breach having removed the default form Equifax but have appeared to have failed to remove them from other information holders?

Do I have to accept there pitiful £25 offer ?

There is no such thing as impossible; only the degree of difficulty required to achieve the desired outcome.

Read through the

My advice & opinions are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

Woolsnitch mortgage accounts - Claim served £2995 4/09, application to strike out 06/09

Guest louis wu

Can't help with the compensation issue, but 1/3 of what you asked for, without the hassle of taking it further, must be tempting.

I would definately be more concerned about correcting the entries, however, before I got into the serious business of compensation though.

louis

Louis,

Yes there is the £25, however it has cost me more in my time etc to get them to correct the breach of the DPA. Especially now that they haven't even bothered to correct all entries.

They are taking the p@ss. They don't acknowledge they are in the wrong.

For a single late payment they would take £50 from me.

I am of the view that I require proper compensation for the breach of the DPA.

However, how do I pursue that legally? There are templates in the library are they applicable in this case? Is this a small claims matter? Can I claim for costs? Has anyone done so successfully?

Read through the

You can claim compensation, as the information is wrong in that you weren't late with payments. If it's a Default they've recorded, that is even worse, as already mentioned. (Are you sure it's a Default and not just late payments being recorded?)

The Information Commissioners Office should be your first port of call, but I don't think you'll get any joy from them - I'm also not sure if they can award damages under the Act, as they only offer opinions and not Judgments?

If they don't, it would have to be a Court claim, but they will be arguing that a £25 payment was offered and you refused, so YOU may end up paying THEIR costs if the Court deems that as unreasonable.

You're on dodgy ground there, IMHO - get the Default/late payment markers removed and take the costs on the chin, I'd say. What are your costs anyway? A few letters/phone calls? How can you justify wanting another £50?...

• 2 weeks later...

Right I have now completed my FOS complaint form, copied everything up and popped it in the post.

Lets see what happens now :):D

Read through the

To explain I have seen other threads where complaints have been made to the Financial Ombudsman Service for defaults etc, they have a scale of compensation that can be ordered. For this sort of thing in the 0-£300 range.

Read through the

Not sure but the FOS site states

>>>>>>>>>>>

Advantages

• it is free
  • it is private and confidential
  • it is relatively quick
  • it is independent of the companies it investigates
  • there is no need to attend a hearing
  • the decision is binding on the company but not on the consumer, so the consumer can still go to court if dissatisfied with the outcome

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm putting my complaint in their COurt so will keep you posted :D

Read through the

Go to court, claim £200 damages, court fee and interest and put:

"Damages and costs at the descretion of the Court" at the end of your POC.

That way you give the judge the final say as to what you get.

From my own experience with DPA damages, my guess is that you wont have to go anywhere near a Court...;)

I have claimed £200 for Data Protection Act damages several times, never has a financial institution or DCA had the bottle to meet me in front of a judge.

On each occasion they have paid up pre-trial.

The £25 they offered is simply to tempt you. In offering you anything they know they are onto a loser if you start a Small Claim.

Yes I had a final response letter from Kensington.

Read through the

noomill060,

Should I claim for each CRA that Kensington has entered a false "late payment" marker onto. Or one claim covering it all ?

Read through the

noomill,

A couple of other questions:

I have a long running battle with Lloyds re non-compliance. The ICO have ruled against them and ordered compliance. Do I have to make an initial request for damages and then an LBA. Or do I go straight to Court. They still haven't complied.

Next

Is a claim for "wrong data" ie Late payment marker entered in error by them. The same as a non-compliance claim.

What would replace the para "On XXXXX the Claimant sent a Subject Access Request, pursuant to Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 to the Defendant." In regards to my request for the incorrect data to be removed?

Read through the

bump - anyone?

Read through the

noomill,

A couple of other questions:

I have a long running battle with Lloyds re non-compliance. The Information Commissioners Office have ruled against them and ordered compliance. Do I have to make an initial request for damages and then an LBA. Or do I go straight to Court. They still haven't complied.

Next

Is a claim for "wrong data" ie Late payment marker entered in error by them. The same as a non-compliance claim.

What would replace the para "On XXXXX the Claimant sent a Subject Access Request, pursuant to Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 to the Defendant." In regards to my request for the incorrect data to be removed?

Initial approach and LBA are a must to ensure your claim ISN'T thrown out, yes.

Do you have a thread for each of these? Especially as I don't think you can claim to have late payment markers removed! :o

car2403,

Why do you think that I would not be able to claim for a falsely added Late Payment marker?

Read through the

car2403,

Why do you think that I would not be able to claim for a falsely added Late Payment marker?

I think you can, but only if you can show that the data is wrong in that a payment that was due was made when it is being reported as not being made.

That is what has happened to me. I re-mortgaged the Kensington matter was settled in full by telegraphic transfer on 31/8. However they sent me a late payment letter for the September payment. I spoke to them, they acknowledged receipt of the full settlement and said it was just an oversight on their part. However late payment markers went on my credit files. After a number of letters they finally removed the Equifax one, but have not removed any others.

This is my POC - Any thoughts ?

BRIEF DETAILS OF CLAIM

Order under section 13 & 14 of the Data Protection Act 1988.

Damages

PARTICULARS OF CLAIM

1. The Defendant is a Data Controller within the meaning of the Data Protection Act and is responsible for the processing of data of which the Claimant is a Subject.

2. The Claimant had an account number xxxxx ("the Account") with the Defendant which was opened on or around 22nd August 2002 and closed on or around 31st August 2007.

3. On 31st August 2007 the Claimant settled this account in full by way of remortgage and telegraphic transfer. The defendant acknowledged that this payment was received on that date, settling the account in full as required by the defendant’s redemption statement.

4. On or about 2nd September 2007 the Claimant received a late payment letter from the defendant. The Claimant contacted the defendant on or about 12th September 2007 and was assured that this was inaccurate information and that no late payment fee or notification to a Credit Reference Agency would occur.

5. The Claimant examined his Equifax credit file in October 2007 discovering that a late payment marker had been placed on his file concerning inaccurate data that there had been an expected September 2007 payment.

6. The Claimant has repeatedly corresponded with the defendant in an attempt to resolve this matter. The defendant has stated that all CRA’s were updated on or about 14th November 2007. On or about December 2007 the Equifax late payment marker was finally removed.

7. The Claimant has found that the same late payment marker was placed by the defendant on his Experian credit file and that this has not been removed.

8. The defendant's failure to comply with the Section 14 of the Data Protection Act 1988 has led to the Claimant suffering damage.

9. The damage caused is:

Extra costs incurred in addition to court costs, due to the Defendants failure to comply - this includes the cost of additional correspondence and time spent preparing documents and seeking legal advice, I estimate this cost to be £...........

10. The Claimant seeks an order that the Defendant do comply with the Claimant's requirement under Section 14 DAP 1988. That the defendant states all CRA’s to whom inaccurate information concerning the Claimant has been exchanged and that the inaccurate data has been removed from the claimants credit file with all of those CRA’s.

11. Damages and costs within the discretion of the Court.

Read through the