Honours Student Loans

djbarnard
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5951 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone advise me as the the best way forward with these guys. Are they a debt collection agency? I spoke with someone on the phone and agreed to start making a payment. But now I am a bit sceptical. I also paid some arrears back to another company but I want to make sure that this money has come off the original loan. If I have to pay the money back I want to make it as hard as possible for them and to pay make sure I dont pay too much on interests or costs.

Any ideas?

Hi djbarnard

To cut a very long story short, I think these guys are authorised to collect on new style loans.

However, what you should do is to ensure that you pay all and only what you owe.

Can you give us more details? Do you know how much you owe? When did you take out the loan? When did you last make a written acknowledgement?

Depending on your circumstances, it may be worth asking for a full statement of your account from them - but we need more details first.

But you're in the right place to do that. Please post again and give me more details - we're here to help.

:)

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

I dont think Honours student Loans are a debt collection agency in the sense that you are thinking off. My experience is that I took out my student loans pre 1997 with the Student loan company. sometime in 2001/02 or 03 I recieved a letter saying that my Student loans held with SLC was been transfered to HSL ( who now adminstrate the old student loans) I still send my deferments to HSL as I need to earn over the £2000 gross per month to activate the re-payments.

I did another course in 2003/04/05 and took out a further 2 student loans with the student loan company , repayment of these are made on the payslip from your employer got to earn over £12k i think!.

I now recieve 2 statement of accounts one from HSL (pre 1997) and one from SLC for my 2 student loans taken out 03/04.

Yes, I think that's right about Honours Student Loans, Golfcaddie.

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the above is correct.

They are proper rat bags (abusing CPR rules etc), and I would CCA them, as I bet the documentation renders the pre-1998 debt unenforcable (i.e. mortgage style loans). That's what I am hoping! Look at the below for a bit more info

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/118100-ccj-liverpool-postal-strike-2.html

and

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/125351-honours-student-loans-illegible.html