RBS credit card has charged me on a ZERO balance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5895 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently paid off my RBS credit card in full, but two days later RBS attempted to take a direct debit payment from my account. Since I closed by RBS account and switched to Smile, the direct debit was not in place (I never switched it as I intended to cancel the card).

I had not bothered logging into RBS online banking to check my statement as I considered my business done with RBS, aside from a letter needing to be sent to cancel the card. Since their was a postal strike a few weeks back, I hadn't received a statement for the card, but I just happened to log in and strangely enough, 2 days after taking the money to clear the card balance, they attempted to take a minimum payment that would have been correct had I not paid the balance in full. The payment was rejected as no agreement was in place and the payment was reversed. RBS then added a late payment fee, followed by interest and payment protection.

They have since added more charges for me not paying the previous balance they had arrived at all by themselves.

Surely this can't be right. Not only are they slapping illegal charges on me but are doing so based on a zero balance!!

Anyone have any ideas how to tackle this one? I am thinking that they either zero the balance, ensure my credit record does not show I have not missed payments, and then close the account. Otherwise the FSA can deal with them and that's before I go for the last 2 years worth of charges! Is that the right approach do you think?

I wonder if MBNA are the new Enron :roll:

I recently paid off my RBS credit card in full, but two days later RBS attempted to take a direct debit payment from my account. Since I closed by RBS account and switched to Smile, the direct debit was not in place (I never switched it as I intended to cancel the card).

I had not bothered logging into RBS online banking to check my statement as I considered my business done with RBS, aside from a letter needing to be sent to cancel the card. Since their was a postal strike a few weeks back, I hadn't received a statement for the card, but I just happened to log in and strangely enough, 2 days after taking the money to clear the card balance, they attempted to take a minimum payment that would have been correct had I not paid the balance in full. The payment was rejected as no agreement was in place and the payment was reversed. RBS then added a late payment fee, followed by interest and payment protection.

They have since added more charges for me not paying the previous balance they had arrived at all by themselves.

Surely this can't be right. Not only are they slapping illegal charges on me but are doing so based on a zero balance!!

Anyone have any ideas how to tackle this one? I am thinking that they either zero the balance, ensure my credit record does not show I have not missed payments, and then close the account. Otherwise the FSA can deal with them and that's before I go for the last 2 years worth of charges! Is that the right approach do you think?

complain to rbos, then the fos

post office WON 12/11/06

abbey.LBA sent 30/10/06.MCOL claim submitted 8/11/06.allocation questionnaire sent 16/12/06.schedule of charges sent 16/12/06.WON

2nd abbey claim SAR sent 3/1/07.WON.complaint letter sent 18/1/08

alliance and Leicester.WON

Yup, you will unfortunately have to go through their compaints procedure (ask for a copy of this and don't just ring, as sometimes companies atke it as an "informal" complaint". if your complaint is not resolved within 8 weeks, report them to the FOS, who will then charge them £400 for the privelege of investigating your complaint.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Try talking to them first and explain their error to them- it would be useful to get rid of this issue amicably before you go after them for the other charges.

written entirely without prejudice to my whole rights and pleas in law and may not be founded upon in any proceedings.:lol:

What has happened is that the direct debit will have been initiated before your card payment has cleared the balance, as direct debits are set up in advance of the payment date so on the date the amount is debited.

It's just a simple cross over and if you talk to them they should remove the charges. When I worked for a credit card company it was a cause for no questions asked full refund. I'd imagine it would be the same with RBS.

• 2 weeks later...

More evidence of the joys of direct debit, I'm slowly swtiching any companies I don't trust over to satanidng order leaving me in control.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

• 3 months later...

I received a letter of apology and the charges have been rufunded. Although my letter stated that I wanted them to close the account, they also asked if I actually want them to do that or they would be more than happy to send me a replacement card! I guess if they see a customer who has actually been quite a good one, they don't want to loose them. Maybe I'll keep it open and transfer my balance from the now even more awful Egg.