• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Barclaycard bill from out of nowhere!

Breezico

Hi people.

Can anyone offer any advice with this please:

I moved house in June last year, in doing so I paid off all my debts, or so I thought. I had a letter yesterday from Lowell Finance Ltd regarding my old Barclaycard saying I have an outstanding balance of £1800...

When I moved I set up mail forwarding and registered at my partners house so it has come as quite a shock that it has taken 18 months for Barclaycard to get in touch.

Looking through my bank statements I can't find any reference to Barclaycard or Mercers, who were handling this account.

I am now wondering if this account got missed in all the confusion, but am not keen to hand over £1800 to Lowell on the strength on a one off letter, does anyone know where I can obtain proof of their claim?

I have already written to Barclaycard asking for a full set of statements, but this could take upto 40 days.

I am planning to phone Lowell tomorrow so any advice on how to handle this situation would be greatly appreciated..

Many Thanks

Chris.

Hi Breez,

No. 1 has to be - don't call Lowell there's nothing to be gained by you doing this. Write to them and say you have SAR'd BC and are awaiting their reply and, in the meantime, you acknowledge no such debt. If they call you, tell them to write and hang up.

Are you aware of any such debt and have you considered sending CCA request to BC as well to see IF the debt can be enforced. Have a look here at letter N - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Also read here - http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/bus...dit/oft664.pdf - and consider using one or more of these sections:-

2.6(a) re frequent contact

2.6.(h) ignoring your contention that debt is in dispute

2.8(i) failing to investigate/provide details (re missing info they still owe you)

2.8(k) not ceasing collection while investigating queried or disputed amount.

Take a look in the General Debt forum where there is loads of info, template letters and examples of how the DCA's behave.

Slick

• Haha 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Breezy,

There's a specific phone harassment letter I forgot to mention. Check it out and use if appropriate - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/37006-harassment-telephone-response-letter.html

CCA = Consumer Credit Agreement. Send letter N from above link to BC to see if they hold copy of orig'l doc't with ALL CORRECT info on it. If they DON'T, the debt may not be legally enforceable. Fee payable.

SAR = Subject Access Request. This is what I think you've sent already to BC (did you pay fee) formally requesting copy state's for CC a/c. Fee payable.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks Slick,

I am just putting together the letter to Lowell and Barclaycard and am wondering if, under the circumstances, I should merge part of letter A onto the end of letter N; as this request for money has come out of the blue I could do with holding off the DCA until I get some answers from Barclaycard.

Thinking about it; if I did owe anything on my old Barclaycard (of which I am still not convinced), it would have been definately nowhere near £1800, so a large proportion would be unlawful charges... As I have asked for all my statements already I could do with claiming any unlawful credit card charges from them.

Thanks

Chris.

First NEVER talk to these "people" on the phone as they will try and get you to agree to anything.

Before you even think about making any sort of acknowledgement or payment to a DCA you MUST ensure that they have the LEGAL right to collect the debt.

This is achieved by requesting a copy of the Signed, Executed Credit Agreement via a Consumer Credit Act (CCA) request.

If there are charges on the account get a SAR into B'card and go for the reclaim.

• Haha 1

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

Cheers Curlyben,

I had the Barclaycard for years, up until selling my house in 2006, I suspect they may owe me quite a bit in charges, don't suppose they will have kept records upto 1992 when I opened the account.

I will send a letter just asking for a signed credit agreement straight away...

Thanks

Hi all, I have slightly altered my letter to Lowell as follows:

With reference to the above agreement, I am unaware of any outstanding balance with the above creditors and therefore would be grateful if you would send me a copy of this Signed, Executed Credit Agreement.

I have submitted a Subject Access Request to Barclaycard for records of an account and am awaiting their response; in the meantime I acknowledge no such debt.

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (Sections 77−79), I am entitled to receive a copy of our credit agreement on request. I enclose a payment of £1.00 which represents the fee payable under the Consumer Credit Act.

I understand that a copy of our credit agreement should be supplied within 12 working days.

I also understand that under the Consumer Credit Act creditors are unable to enforce an agreement if they fail to comply with a request for a copy of the agreement under these sections of the Act.

I look forward to hearing from you

Does that sound ok to you guys?

Thanks

Chris.

Hi Breez,

When using letter N, I would use it exactly as per template, adapted to suit your case. I would not add anything else onto it.

Also, have a read of this thread which you may find useful with some excellent input from PT2537 (site helper). You could use letters from there if you want. But do CCA request 1st.

Also consider reclaim of charges as well using SAR.

Click on the link I put in para 2 of post #2 above.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I sent the letter to Lowel and firstly I got a letter exactly the same as the first letter followed by one saying they are trying to get the original CCA, but that it would take a lot more than 12 days. The 12 days has well passed now. What should I do? If they haven't supplied the CCA in the 12 days or if they can't get it at all is that the end of the matter or will they keep harrassing me indefinately?

Please can anyone advise me.

Much appreciated.

Chris.

Following on from CB and my own experience with Bcard, they may eventually (like months later) produce what they claim to be your credit agreement.

The likelyhood is that its simply a photocopy of your application form!

(ie: totally unenforceable, even by God)