Anomaly in NatWests online banking statements?

Kazzie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5991 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I have noticed something odd concerning my online statements with Natwest and wondered if anyone else has experienced the same thing or can shed some light on what's happening.

This is an example of what happens;

I pay for an item online/in a shop for £30 using my debit card on 1st November. I check my account online the same day and the item shows as debited from my account.

Several days later i check my balance and think 'Oh great, there's more money in my account than i thought' so i spend it. A week or so later i have some bills to pay so check my account to see what my balance is so i know how much to put in to cover the bills, i then deposit enough in the bank to cover this.

A few days later i realise there isn't enough to cover my bills because my account has just been debited for £30 (the same item that was debited 10 days ago).

I check back on my online statments because i know this item was shown as debited 10 days ago and i'm thinking that the company must have accidently debited me again for some reason, and then i discover that the original item that was listed 10 days ago has now completely disappeared from the statement:-o . I know for a fact it was showing up on the day that the actual debit occured, so why does it disappear only to show up on my statement again 10 days later???

This has happened 3 times now, the 3rd time is today. It makes me think i'm losing the plot. It seems pointless going to NatWest with it as i've not printed the statements off to prove what i'm saying is true and they'll think i'm nuts. As of today i'm going to print off my statement daily so that i can have proof of it next time it happens.

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Hi Kazzie!

The main problem with online banking (as you've already sussed out) is that it isn't up to date. That is to say, it only shows transactions that have 'gone through' on the previous banking day (regardless of what they say).

The best thing to do is to keep your own running total of your account - just get a cheap notepad from a pound shop - so that you know exactly what's gone in................. and, more to the point, exactly what's gone out! You'll find that your own total differs with the online banking system- but trust your own more than theirs! ;)

And in the meantime, if you have any penalty charges on your account due to miscalculations........... claim them back!!!! x :)

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Thanks for replying hedgey, but what i still don't understand is why it shows up as debited on the day i make the purchase, but gets re credited a few days later only to be re debited again a few days after that!

As you say, i will have to start keeping a record and i will definately be claiming back any penalty charges. Thanks:)

Hi Kazzie,

I've had a similar problem in the past - when i queried it they told me that although i've made a card payment that day and it shows up that day on the account as being taken, unless the company claims it straight away, it can actually be returned then debited again. I had a similar problem with making an online payment to yorkshire water, where there credit system doesn't actually apply for the money for 3 days after you've paid them!

Hope this sheds a little light on your situation.....

Aciddave