• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

BRIGHTHOUSE STORES to Sponsor TRISHA TV Show !

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5579 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This has got me really mad!

For much of the early part of this year I was involved with the producers of an TV documentary highlighting the problems of debt, loan sharks and predatory lending.

Today I find this...

BrightHouse to sponsor Trisha

Thursday October 11 2007

BrightHouse has announced an exclusive agreement with Five to sponsor The Trisha Goddard Show.

Research conducted by AMS Media, on behalf of BrightHouse, revealed that 70% of Trisha's audience fit BrightHouse's target customer profile.

Hamish Paton, Business Development Director said: “We are proud of the relationship we have with our customers. Our stores know their customers: they have close links to the community and many store staff are recruited locally. Our customers relate to the situations Trisha deals with on her show - real people with real issues. This deal is great for the company because it reinforces our community approach and our commitment to providing solutions for our customers.”

Trisha Goddard said: “I am delighted we have teamed up with BrightHouse to sponsor my show. I relish the challenges involved in helping real people solve their problems in order to live better, more fulfilling, lives and it's great that BrightHouse share those aspirations.”

Hamish Paton said: “As BrightHouse expands its store network, we are working hard to increase our brand awareness and people's understanding of what this company is about. We believe that the involvement with The Trisha Goddard Show will help this enormously.

“The sponsorship also marks the public launch of BrightHouse's new strapline 'Your Weekly Payment Store'. This reinforces the core message of our store proposition, which is to allow customers the opportunity to pay weekly for the things they really need.”

full article here

I think this is an absolute disgrace.

Comments, anyone?

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm sure Brighthouse would have got a great deal and no doubt the seven or so viewers that the show attracts will be tremendously grateful.

Does anyone know who her agent is? Perhaps some e-mails outlining concerns should be sent?

I've already emailed the show's production company - and channel 5! (like I said, this has really got me quite mad!!!)

Dear Sirs

I am writing to you to express my disappointment at your sponsorship deal with BRIGHTHOUSE Stores in relation to the TRISHA show.

BrightHouse to sponsor Trisha

Thursday October 11 2007

BrightHouse has announced an exclusive agreement with Five to sponsor The Trisha Goddard Show.

Research conducted by AMS Media, on behalf of BrightHouse, revealed that 70% of Trisha's audience fit BrightHouse's target customer profile.

Hamish Paton, Business Development Director said: “We are proud of the relationship we have with our customers. Our stores know their customers: they have close links to the community and many store staff are recruited locally. Our customers relate to the situations Trisha deals with on her show - real people with real issues. This deal is great for the company because it reinforces our community approach and our commitment to providing solutions for our customers.”

Trisha Goddard said: “I am delighted we have teamed up with BrightHouse to sponsor my show. I relish the challenges involved in helping real people solve their problems in order to live better, more fulfilling, lives and it's great that BrightHouse share those aspirations.”

Hamish Paton said: “As BrightHouse expands its store network, we are working hard to increase our brand awareness and people's understanding of what this company is about. We believe that the involvement with The Trisha Goddard Show will help this enormously.

“The sponsorship also marks the public launch of BrightHouse's new strapline 'Your Weekly Payment Store'. This reinforces the core message of our store proposition, which is to allow customers the opportunity to pay weekly for the things they really need.”...

I am saddened to learn that 70% of Trisha's target audience are seen as "sub-prime", "non-creditworthy" and ill-educated - because THAT is Brighthouse's typical customer profile.

Brighthouse are PREDATORY lenders who exploit the poor and more vunerable people in our society. They do this by "marking up" regular high street prices, charging extortionate interest rates (29.9%), adding non-negotiable "service contracts" and "damage liablity cover" inurance policies, yet dress this up as "affordable" weekly payments.

Take this example:

A Newhome cooker for sale at Brighthouse for £703.29. Yet if you choose to pay for this over 3 years at £9.99 per week using their credit deal, you'd end up paying £1,558.44.

Argos price - £495.00

Brighthouse are also very well known for their "bully-boy" tactics and blatant disregard for consumer law. I would suggest you aquaint yourself with a few selected threads from THE CONSUMER ACTION GROUP website.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/53098-steven4064-brighthouse.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-stores/48343-brighthouse-problem-again.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-stores/44163-brighthouse-stores-formerly-crazy.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-stores/99533-brighthouse-experience.html

I honestly think it is disgraceful for a national TV show - which claims to help "real people with real problems" to be associated with such a company, and I would urge you to reconsider this sponsorship deal.

With Kind Regards

Lefty ;)

I've also brought this to the attention of the ITV company that was researching an "revealing" documentary regarding Brighthouse.

!!!!!!

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

;)

I Still don't get it! The profile of Brighthouse's customers probably match the market segment that Goddard reaches. Voderman sings the praises of First Plus, yet anyone with half a brain will see there are cheaper ways of getting money than taking Voderman's word. 'Sponsorship' is nothing more than having a corporate name placed withing the 'bumpers' of an ITV show.

I don't have to like Barclaycard or use one to enjoy the program it sponsors, so there really doesn't seem to be much to complain about, except not watch the show.

Perhaps you don't get it, Busby. And, as ever, your views and opinions are clean cut and accurate.

However, I DO get it - and it makes me very mad. I, for one, disapprove very strongly to the lower classes (poor people, "chavs", benefit class - call em what you like) being wheeled out as entertainment (having usually been lured with a few quid expense money and a night in a hotel) to be laughed at by the rest of the population on these gutter level TV shows!

It then makes me even madder to think some executive has comissioned a survey that reveals that 70% of the show's audience are prime targets to be exploited by the likes of Brighthouse.

It's not just innocent sponsorship (if there is such a thing!) It's a very carefully thought out - and downright blatant - attempt to exploit some of the most vunerable people in society, locking them into ridiculously expensive credit agreements, causing misery and hardship, and all dressed up to look like a caring - community based - helping hand.

Trisha Goddard should seriously been ashamed of herself, and DESPERATELY needs to consider the consequences on her career of such a partnertship.

Cheers

Lefty

• Haha 1

;)

Singling out Brighthouse, seems a tad unfair when there are worse firms out there with punitive interest rates (Provincial comes to mind).

Yes. There are other (I would hesitate to say "worse") companies out there with more punitive interest rates than Brighthouse - you mention Provincial? Perhaps you mean Provident? (The Provvy)? APR's in excess of 177%?

I don't think I am being unfair to single out Brighthouse.

From my experience, (having been a campainer against predatory lenders for quite some time), there are only really three companies that SPECIFICALLY target the poor, set up shop in deprived areas, and generally milk the non-creditworthy. Provident (as mentioned), Cash Converters (the buy back store - 360% APR) and BRIGHTHOUSE.

However, where Brighthouse differ from the other two (ie: everyone knows their agenda - and have little, if any, ambiguity) Brighthouse attempt to appear "acceptable" and proclaim a company "mission" to "help" people get "the credit they deserve". It is this that makes Brighthouse worse than the others. Behind the very polished corporate image is a multi-million pound industry which has a 100% customer base that nobody else wants. The poor, the sub-prime and people on benefit.

Add to that their very well publicised disregard for consumer law (just search Brighthouse on this forum), their bully-boy tactics and highly questionable contracts and sales techniques, you may possibly appreciate my utter contempt for the company - and their sponsorship of the TRISHA TV show.

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Werent they refused permission to set up in France due to their targetting of low income families?

If so the french have something going for them after all.;)

Yes. They were called "Crazy Georges" at the time. They were thrown out due to their non-transparent terms (ie - service contracts, extra insurance schemes, etc) and left with their tails firmly between their legs!

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Here's my first response to emails sent to both the show's producers and Channel 5. (I also found an email for Trisha herself! Ha ha!)

This is from Town House TV

Dear Lefty,

Town House TV makes the Trisha Goddard show but has nothing whatsoever to do with its sponsorship. Nor do we receive any financial gain from it. This is entirely a matter for the broadcaster, Five.

I will pass on your letter to them and you can contact them separately. You can raise your concerns by calling the customer services team on 0845 7 050505 or 0207 421 7270 you can also email [email protected]

Kind regards

Malcolm Allsop

Managing Director

Town House TV Productions Ltd

;)

Certainly distancing themselves from it.

Exactly what I thought... ;)

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Have you emailed Trish yet as i would love to see her response to this.

Yes. Trisha Goddard is joint executive producer (along with Malcolm Allsop) and she received the same email... ;)

Cheers Lefty

(PS Thanks for the link - I had missed that one!)

;)

Hi folks.

Just a little update.

I have received a very detailed reply from channel 5 - which is very interesting reading. However, as the email contains this footer:

This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. It must not be sent by or its

contents copied or disclosed to persons other than the intended recipient. Any liability arising from any third party acting or refraining from acting on any information contained in this e-mail is excluded.

I have, therefore, replied with this:

Thank you for your response.

As you may have noticed, I am writing to channel 5 in my capacity as a contributor to the Consumer Action Group forums and Brighthouse is a company which features regularly, as you can imagine.

Therefore, I would like your permission to reproduce (by nature of a forum post) your response (in full) to my enquiry.

If this is not possible, I would appreciate a statement for publication from channel 5 in regard to this.

Kindest Regards

Lefty

As a matter of interest, if anyone would like a copy of my "fact sheet" on how to deal with Brighthouse, I have uploaded a PDF file on this post.

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Actually, the disclosure condition concerns any recipient 'upstream' of the intended one. If YOU were the recipient as defined in the TO field, then what you do with it subsequently is your concern, they were not saying that the contents were confidential, that would require a Private & Confidential statement specifically addressed to you!

Thanks for that, Buzby. I sort of thought that was the case...

But...

I would not want to place the CAG into any dispute, so I think it best I wait for either permission to reproduce, or a suitable statement from channel 5.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Lefty: Do you mind if I circulate a copy of your fact sheet to the staff here at work? (I work for one of the debt help charities)

Absolutely. You are more than welcome.

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Just another quick update...

I thought a little whisper in the ear of Damon Gibbons, chair of Debt on our Doorstep could be a good idea... Turned out to be a very good idea... ;)

Dear Lefty

Many thanks for sending this through. We would be delighted to take this issue up and will draft something up next week for the media. I’ll come back to you with the draft.

Best wishes

Damon

Damon Gibbons, FRSA

Chair

Debt on our Doorstep

Stay tuned!

Cheers

Lefty

• Haha 1

;)

Thanks, MikeSplicer. Appreciated.

Just another quick update...

Damon Gibbons (Debt on our Doorstep) left a very polite question regarding the Brighthouse sponsorship on the Trisha Goodard website forum here. This was quickly followed up by a two of genuine "viewer" comments, both telling damning stories about their dealings with Brighthouse!

This morning, all forum posts have been deleted! Looks like someone is beginning to take notice! ;)

I still haven't yet received permission to reproduced channel five's response email (although I requested this three days ago). I have advised that I shall wait another 24 hours for their approval, after which time I shall reproduce it regardless - in view of Buzby's advice earlier.

I have had no response from Trisha.

I have had no response from Brighthouse.

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Town House TV

Trisha Show Executive Producer Malcom Allsop/Trisha Goddard

[email protected]

[email protected]

Channel 5 Cheif Executive

[email protected]

Channel 5 customer services

[email protected]

Brighthouse

[email protected]

Cheers

Lefty

;)

I am generally a very patient man, but I think 3 days for an official response is taking the p...

Dear XXXXXXX

Customer Services

Channel 5

IMPORTANT

I replied to this email on 16/11/07 - I am still awaiting a reply.

For your ease of reference, here is what I wrote:

Hello XXXXXX

Thank you for your response.

As you may have noticed, I am writing to channel 5 in my capacity as a contributor to the Consumer Action Group website and forums. Brighthouse is a company which features regularly, as you can imagine.

Therefore, I would like your permission to reproduce (by nature of a forum post) your response (in full) to my enquiry.

If this is not possible, I would appreciate a statement for publication from channel 5 in regard to this.

As the disclosure condition at the foot of this email concerns any recipient 'upstream' of the intended one, and as I am the intended recipient as defined in the TO field, then I would like to advise you that I shall be publishing this response on the Consumer Action Group website as a statement from channel 5 regarding Brighthouse sponsoring the Trisha show. As there is no "Private & Confidential" statement specifically addressed to me regarding this email, I am completely entitled to do this.

However, as a courtesy, I am still prepared to wait a further 24 hours if you would prefer to make an "official statement" or make any additions or amendments to your original response.

If I receive no reply to this email (with 24 hours) I will publish the contents of this email as a statement from channel 5.

Kind Regards

Lefty

Stay tuned..... ;)

;)

Looks like the Trisha show is finally beginning to take notice...

The Trisha Goddard Show

Cheers

Lefty

;)

yep pressure is needed.

Lefty and i had a convo earlier buy Pm.

What i am thinking is maybe CAg could orgainse a small protest buy going to the studio where the show is filmed and start asking awkard questions, this is maidstone in kent.

There is aslo offices in Norwich on a very busy business park which i think you may find is were the production company that films and produces Trisha is based. Which is owned buy trisha and her husband. If you check out her site, link posted earlier bu lefty, you will see that it is not going to be a area where it can be ignored.

Maybe further conseltation is needed before we do anything daft tho.

I think what is needed at this stage is as many letters/emails/phone calls as possible registering objection to this sponsorship - just as Debt on our Doorstep, Steven and I have done. I can bet that there have been a few heated discussions at Town House TV, Channel 5, Brighthouse and Trisha's agent today!

We really need to wait and see if channel 5 want to make an "official" statement, as opposed to the response to my email (which, in all reality, would have just been simply written by a customer service monkey), and we also need to see what the Debt on our Doorstep action group present to the media.

(Having said that, I WILL post the full contents of the email I originally received from Channel five if I hear nothing by 5.30pm tomorrow!) ;)

This is early days...

Again, I would like to make clear that it is not so much the fact that Brighthouse is sponsoring a TV show that I (we) object to, it is the way that a particular segment of the population (ie - day time TV viewers, the unemployed, single parents, people on benefit - the SUB-PRIME) have been DELIBERATELY and SPECIFICALLY targetted by Brighthouse...

As the media consultancy company AMS said, "70% of Trisha's audience fit Brighthouse's customer profile..." :(

Cheers

Lefty

;)

I have today received an "official" statement from channel 5.

"The following is our official response regarding the sponsorship of Trisha Goddard by BrightHouse, which you can publish.

BrightHouse Stores is a well recognised, established trading company which conducts its business practice according to all applicable UK legislation. It is therefore a legitimate sponsorship partner for the Trisha Goddard show.

If there is anything further we can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for your interest in Five"

This statement is considerably shorter than my original response - which went into much more detail, even saying that "although some people may object to the way Brighthouse conducts it business, this does not preclude Brighthouse from sponsoring a TV show"...

I am happy to reproduce the full original email response from five, but in order to avoid any possible problems for the CAG I would appreciate permission from a moderator or admin first. Bigmac versus?

and... in other news...

Trisha's website has deleted the post by doodchair (Debt on our Doorstep) asking if Trisha now retracts her statement proclaiming she is "delighted to be working with Brighthouse" and a further follow up comment by myself.

But for those who missed it - here is a repeat! ;)

trisha_forum1.jpg

Stay Tuned!

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Evening, and welcome to the late edition! ;)

Firstly I would like to thank Bigmac versus for taking the time to clear up any potential legal problems regarding me reproducing my original (as opposed to the short "official") response from Channel 5.

I suggest you read it a couple of times... There's one particular point that I think is very important...

"Thank you for your recent enquiries regarding Trisha Goddard.

We were sorry to read that you are unhappy that BrightHouse sponsor this programme. This is a legitimate company which conducts its business according to all applicable UK legislation. They do not operate illegally and although some people may object to the way in which they do business, we do not believe that this should preclude them from sponsoring a television programme. Many people are unhappy with other financial service organisations for similar reasons to those stated in your e-mail but this does not stop those companies from advertising on national television.

As a commercial television channel we fund our programming and engineering costs through programme sponsorship opportunities and selling advertising time during the breaks in our schedule. However, this does not mean that we will accept advertising or sponsorship from companies that make misleading or false claims.

Nevertheless, we do appreciate your concerns and we would like to thank you for taking the time to contact us. The details of your comprehensive complaint concerning BrightHouse and its sponsorship of Trisha Goddard have been logged in our Viewer Enquiries Report. This is circulated throughout the company and will be seen by all relevant personnel.

If there is anything further we can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.

They do not operate illegally and although some people may object to the way in which they do business, we do not believe that this should preclude them from sponsoring a television programme.

So, Channel 5 are well aware of the many, many complaints made daily about Brighthouse - but this does not preclude them from sponsoring a television programme? Maybe not. But it does raise SERIOUS concerns when it is allowed to sponsor a television programme that, by their own admission, has an audience which contains a 70% Brighthouse target customer profile. This is predatory lending showing it's true colours.

With this point in mind, I have today emailed AMS Media - the agency who supplied the research to Brighthouse and Channel 5...

Dear Sirs

I am currently researching an article concerning predatory lending and debt in the sub-prime sector. This article will primarily be for publication on the Consumer Action Group Forums Website, but will also be freely available as a fact sheet to assist Debt advice groups.

I am particularly interested in the hire purchase/retail chain, Brighthouse, and the company’s sponsorship of the TRISHA TV show on channel 5.

I see from a channel 5 press release (enclosed) that AMS Media supplied the research that revealed, “70% of Trisha's audience fit BrightHouse's target customer profile.”

Whilst it is well known that Brighthouse target the sub-prime sector – in particular low-income families, people with poor credit ratings and the unemployed, I am curious to learn how it was concluded that such a large percentage of Trisha’s viewers fall into this category.

Perhaps a more detailed description of “Brighthouse’s target customer profile” could help my research?

I have, of course, also written to Brighthouse, Channel 5 and Town House TV (the production company that makes the Trisha show), and all, with the exception of Brighthouse, have offered official statements (for publication) to assist me.

I would be very interested, and extremely grateful, to receive a statement from AMS Media.

Kindest Regards

Lefty

I would, once again, urge anyone with an interest in stamping out predatory lending, loan sharks, the likes of Provident, Log Book Loans, Cash Coverters and BRIGHTHOUSE to keep putting pressure on Channel 5.

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Emails to Brighthouse customer service on both

[email protected]

and

[email protected] (as advertised on their website)

are bouncing back and undeliverable....

Looks like they don't want to receive emails.

I have been waiting three days for a senior member from their press office to call me back. No call so far.

AMS Media have received the email I sent (receipt acknowledged) but have not replied.

Perhaps they just think we will give up and go away?

They don't know the folk at the CAG very well, do they! :)

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Evening all...

For those of you still following this, I have today lodged an official complaint with the Advertising Standards Authority. It only requires one complaint to instigate an enquiry, but several will make them sit up and really take notice!

http://www.asa.org.uk/asa

If anyone else feels the need to complain also, please do... hint, hint... ;)

This is the main body of my complaint...

I disapprove very strongly to the (advertising/product placement) sponsorship of the TRISHA GODDARD show by BRIGHTHOUSE on channel 5. Although the company’s adverts do not, on the surface, appear to break any ASA guidelines, I believe they are misleading, predatory and clearly aimed at a specific financially vulnerable social group.

Brighthouse is a high street electrical/furniture store and offers hire-purchase credit facilities to anyone – regardless of income, status and credit history. They target, in particular, the “sub-prime” - unemployed, single parents, council tenants and those with previous credit problems. Their stores are usually to be found in deprived areas – places the big banks and building societies have long abandoned.

Brighthouse have, for many years, been the target of several debt and consumer action groups, this due to their predatory lending, high interest rates and very well publicised disregard for consumer law. Also of great concern are their highly questionable contracts, sales techniques, non-negotiable extra insurance policies (often resulting in doubling the original advertised price) and “bully-boy” tactics if customers get into difficulties.

Taking their place alongside Provident (doorstep loans) and Cash Converters (the buyback store), Brighthouse join the top three UK companies that specialise in exploiting the poor and profiteering from poverty.

This is an extract from a recent press release by channel five:

BrightHouse has announced an exclusive agreement with Five to sponsor The Trisha Goddard Show. Research conducted by AMS Media, on behalf of BrightHouse, revealed that 70% of Trisha's audience fit BrightHouse's target customer profile.”

I am outraged to learn that 70% of TRISHA GODDARD’S audience has been profiled by Brighthouse as “sub-prime” or “credit-impaired” and, thus, their perfect “target” customer profile. This is UNREGULATED sub-prime predatory lender advertising.

Furthermore, Trisha Goddard has in the past covered debt and its related issues – and even endorses a debt consultation service. I believe it is highly inappropriate for her show to be sponsored by Brighthouse - and contain at least 8 adverts for the company throughout its one-hour duration. I believe this is seriously detrimental to reducing unsustainable debt amongst the less well off, unemployed and credit impaired.

Thank you.

Stay tuned!

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Sorry to be pessimistic, but the substance of the complaint (in this form) would never be upheld by the ASA, so the volume of similar complaints would be immaterial.

The authority are only interested in that any advertisement must not intentionally mislead or be be deceitful - the fact that you don't happen to like what the firm stands for or the market segment they operate in is immaterial to their task.

In any event, the ASA has no powers to prevent the company sponsoring the show at all (which is the real issue here).

I do accept your point, and did had a good read through the ASA site before registering my complaint (which has duly been acknowledged, by the way.)

The emphasis of my complaint is the company's inappropriate advertising. By their very own admission they are targeting a particular social group, the financially vulnerable, the credit impaired and the unemployed. We all know that is Brighthouse's target customer profile, and their own research found 70% of Trisha's audience fall into this category. (I'd love to see the report that concluded this, and how it reached its findings!!!!)

Their adverts are also misleading - they make no examples of the cost of the items they advertise nor is there any mention of compulsary insurance add-ons (although they do display APR 29.9%). I also think one of their particular adverts is very irresponsible - The one where the young mother says "I didn't think I could afford a new washing machine - but Brighthouse let me pay weekly!" Weekly or not, if she couldn't afford it, she couldn't afford it! And entering into an expensive credit agreement is downright foolish.

Before the ASA was established, advertisements were monitored through the ITC, and their criteria was that adverts should be "legal, decent, honest and truthful".

You cannot apply any of the above to Brighthouse - by any stretch of the imagination.

Cheers

Lefty

;)

As for the ITC*, they never had the Decent, Legal, Truthful - this has ALWAYS been the banner of the ASA. The change is that instead of looking after the press only, the ASAs remit extended to commercial TV.

*Did you mean the ITCA, which provided copy clearance services for advertisers, this has been replaced by the BACC but has no regulatory function - all they can do is recommend.

Must admit, I'm not 100% sure on that one, but I do remember the adverts that said, "television commercials must be legal, decent, honest and truthful. If they're not, then we're here to "ITC" that they are!" (and then down came a big rubber stamp with the ITC logo) ! ;)

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Another official complaint lodged.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/ads/

OFCOM have a specific complaint process for TV sponsorship and product placement.

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Has someone got an example brighthouse advert?

Is the compulsory insurance included in the total charge for credit, and hence the APR?

Might need to do some reading up...

Hi Tomterm8

If you haven't done so already, give this recent thread the once over. Very typical of Brighthouse.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-stores/121808-brighthouse-optional-service-cover.html

Cheers

Lefty

;)