• Tweets

• STD BS from overdales. next letter will be a copy of their N180 claiming they've filed their DQ already, when MCOL and the court havent even sent them out yet! all pat of their std intimidation and harassment tactics. on better than avg paypal EU cases here they either let it get stayed or discontinue just before they have to waste more money and pay the hearing fee or file their WS, IF the claim gets that far... dx    
    • its an online hearing almost guaranteed you can rep him.  he need not know anything about it. the IAS assessors report was uploaded here by you long ago. dx      
    • Thanks for updating us. Your decision is very understandable. Don't worry. You have done very well standing your ground against these people in a way you have and you have got everything you wanted bar just a very few quid. Congratulations
    • Whatever the nuances of the law, they will be lost on OPS, who like the rest of the PPcs never bother to get planning permission, ever. When they get a new contract they don't want to delay issuing PCNs by deigning to follow the law, especially as the period when they take over and the parking restrictions are new is the time when they can catch most drivers out.
    • I had some contact with this company earlier in my working life but I'm afraid there's not a lot I can suggest that you haven't already done. During your grandfather's time  British Celanese was a subsidiary of Courtaulds. Courtaulds was subsequently (after your grandfather had stopped working there) acquired by Alzo Nobel. They in turn closed down the Spondon site and sold it. I have no idea what the number is that you are trying to call. It's a Derby (Spondon) area code but the number appears not to be allocated. From my slim knowledge of the history of the company I would have expected your grandfather's pension to be in the Alzo Nobel (CPS) Pension Scheme.  But Willis Tower Watson are the Pension Scheme Administrator of that scheme and would be the people who should know if your grandfather had contributed. Is your grandfather certain he contributed? Joining pension schemes wasn't compulsory in those days. Or might he have got his contributions returned when he left them? That happened sometimes back then. Sorry not to be of more help.      
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

AMEX & AIC & Newman

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5311 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi - I posted on here back in July when I was having trouble with AIC trying to collect on behalf of AMEX. Anyway after requesting a CCA, eventually they sent me a copy of it ( this was the original Credit Card Application form - from a mail out they sent me.) It was only the application form though. I HAD signed it in a box underneath the term ' This is a Credit Card Agreement regulated by the CCA of 1974.......'

There was NO signature on this form where it stated 'authorised by AMEX' although it did have an 'Approved' stamp plus a signature, but not dated on it. This form goes back to 2001.

This was sent back to me with an apologetic letter from AIC stating that my file with them was now closed and they had referred my case back to AMEX and any further dealings should be with them directly.

Almost THREE months later I have been sent a letter from Newmans telling me they are now acting on behalf of AMEX - and requesting ridiculous amounts (10 times what I can actually afford to pay them - and have already offered them ).

Can anybody tell me where I stand with this and what I should do next - is the CCA form I have been supplied so far legally enforceable? Should I request it again from Newmans?

Why did AIC pass it back to AMEX?

The defaulted debt has since increased by almost three grand, with AIC and Newmans charges PLUS interest apparently is still accruing.

many thanks in advance

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the delay in responding. Thanks for the various replies. Much appreciated. I have uploaded the CCA form I got back from AIC. Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks Blue

well I would upload the form if it let me. Tried numerous times - keeps failing. any ideas?

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Here is the latest update.

Sent the first letter to AIC - original DCA - have never had a response.

Sent second letter to Newmans - new DCA - they sent me another copy of the Credit Card Application, as shown earlier in this thread. Three days later they sent me a 'Legal Action' letter - threatening the normal.

Can somebody give me the 'Heads Up' on this situation now and what I should now do - I really need to finalise - one way or another. Dare I push Newmans all the way with this. If so what is the likely outcome.

Many thanks

Blue

• 1 month later...

As a further update to this long running saga:

Having only received a copy of the original CCA from Newmans I kept pushing them with standard letters as previously prescribed in this thread. Now I have received a threatening letter from stevensdrake solicitors demanding full payment - which includes 3 grand in charges and interest on top of the original 10.3k debt otherwise they will issue legal proceedings.

Having read certain threads regarding these clowns and some of their previous antics I am concerned as to what they a) can do and b) will do in an attempt to recover this debt.

I would appreciate some further advice, bearing in mind all of the original comments regarding the fact that this was an unenforceable agreement.

The bottom line is that I would gladly reach an agreement with Amex to pay off the original debt but at a reduced amount and without interest AND subject to the default being removed - does anybody think that this is a) workable and b) actually needed - or do I just resist and fight them in court as this is the route it seems to be going.

I know that many people have had many similar experiences - but there appears to be conflicting results. I just want the default removed and to begin repayment really - but if they continue to be asses - where do I stand.

PLEASE HELP!

• 4 months later...

Hi - to anybody that can help me.

After this long-running saga I have now been issued with a Court Claim Form (from Brighton County Court) - is this the same as the old Court Summons?

As you can see from earlier posts in this threat - I have been told by numerous people on the forum that my case would be enitirely unenforceable through the courts - owing to the fact that I originally signed a Credit Application Form.

Despite repeated requests and having followed the guides/letters in this string - i have only ever received copies of this one original document.

It would appear though that Stevensdrake solicitors/ Amex are confident enough to ignore all that and come after me through the courts for the original debt of just over £10 grand PLUS a further 4 and a half grand in charges/interest etc since the original default - which was just over 12 months ago.

Can somebody please give me advice on what to do now - I cant afford expensive solicitors and am I just wasting more time and money trying to defend this. They must be confident by going to court - but how true have the staements so far been on here that the original agreement is truly enenforceable.

Has anybody had similar experience with this and come unstuck when going to court.

My gut feel is to fight it all the way as it seems so unfair when I have made payment offers since day one which have been rejected by AIC then Newmans and now the third one hasnt even offered me that facility and insist on taking me to court.

HELP PLEASE - this is sending me over the edge. I simply cannot afford to have a judgement registered against me but Nor can I pay them anywhere near what they are claiming.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Blue.

Thanks for the response palomino.

I am just worried and sorry for doubting people who obviously know better than me - Is it a cast iron certainty that it will be struck out. Is there a case that can be referred to in any of these forums where Joe Public has actually won against any of these DCA's/Solicitors on the basis of such an application for Credit form being un-defendable???

I just dont understand why these solicitors would pursue through the courts after all I have threatened them with if they thought they had no chance - or am I just being too logical??

Thanks guys.

One final question - in terms of defence would you, in your opinion, recommend me taking professional legal advice or trying to do this myself - cant afford to make mistakes - but can't afford the cost of my own solicitor???

I did send PT2537 a PM with details but as yet have not had a response. Can anybody else help - I tried to forward the PM again to PT but the site keeps bucking it.

PT2537 - if you can read this and are available to help can you let me know please?

I have to respond TODAY to the court claim.

Thank you again Palomino.

I do appreciate what you are saying about waiting until the last minute - but I need to post something out tomorrow latest and had waited to see if PT would respond with a standard template. Obviously he is otherwise engaged -so please do not be offended as it is plain to see you know what you are talking about.

I am going to post a draft on here and see what you (or anybody else) thinks. Please feel free to make comments as necessary

Best regards

Blue

Ok here is my draft proposal:

Dear Sirs,

I refer to the Court Claim Reference No. xxxxxxxxxxx dated xxxxx

I ask for this Claim to be struck out owing to the following:

The basis of this claim relies upon the claimant being able to produce a properly executed Agreement that is compliant with the provisions of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. To date the Claimant has only been able to provide a copy of an Application Form as a purported Agreement. The said Application does not meet the requirements of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 as this act clearly states the following:

This is the bit I need help with........................so what needs to go here?...................

I must add that should the Claimant be able to produce a compliant and properly executed Agreement, then I am disputing the significant amount of charges that the Claimant has added and have failed to either itemise or explain. I believe these to be unlawful and wholely unreasonable and I deny that part of the claim.

On the basis of the above I again ask for this claim to be struck out.

Your faithfully,

(not particularly eloquent and legal sounding I agree - so if anybody can add better prose then please do)

Perhaps I misunderstood about the time frame. I have discovered that I can send the Acknowledgement of service today which gives me 14 days to submit a defence - so anything you guys would like to add towards my defence would be appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

HI CP,

Thanks for your message - I have trouble posting on here some days as it keeps bucking me out - so apologies for the delay in responding. Are you able to share some details of how your has progressed. I have received a letter back from their solicitors giving me grief about disclosure. I did try and post it on here for comments.

BUT I need to submit my defence tomorrow and having tried to load stuff on here for 4 days now without success and in the hope of getting some decent responses - I am in danger of becoming unstuck

So HELP please.

I am send ing this then another one with an attachment and see how this works.

Best regards

Blue

Hi CP,

Thanks for the moral support - I plan to defend with the facts - there is far too much underhand that has gone on so far with all of these guys and I WILL have my day in court if thats what it takes.

Some of the correspondence I have had along the way is quite unbelievable when purported to be on behalf of such a reputable organisation as AMEX.

Thanks again and please share with me your progress also!

Thanks

Blue

• 2 weeks later...