AOL taking money without authorization??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6044 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I cancelled my account with AOL several months ago, as they kept saying I could no longer use a Debt card to make payments and I had to set up a Direct Debt.

I switched over to Virgin Media, who have been great by the way!

AOL however have still been taking the monthly payment out of an account belonging to my Mum. I used her card the one time to pay a months payment, but thereafter paid using other means! Since cancelling they seem to have decided to use the details of my Mums card to continue to take payments???

I have spent hours on the phone on their infuriating customer service helpline trying to get them to stop, but they still take money. She has told her bank they are taking money without authorization, but the bank says they can't do anything apart from cancel her card. Which she doesn't want to do as she would have to spend hours changing her details with other companies she uses!!

I have letters confirming the account is no longer active and that there is no debt to pay. So why to they persist in taking money without permission??

I really would like some advice on what to do. I have considered writing a letter for my Mum asking for the money back, but I'm not sure what to write and how much to ask for. Should I just ask for the total figure or should I add on any interest or costs. Should I threaten court action in the first letter or wait for a response from an initial enquiry??

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Simon

Get your Mum to contract her bank and say there has been no agreement to take these funds and you want them back. You cannot do this on her behalf.

AOL in the UK is..... Carphone Warehouse.... so join the list of Talk Talk complainers, you've got a lot of company out there!

You also need to inform AOL in writing via recorded delivery* that you are complaining to OFCOM if they don't stop doing this. Give them 28 days to stop their actions.

As they won't contact OFCOM in a month during office hours on 020 7981 3040.

And yes I've compained about Talk Talk as well.

*If you don't send it via recorded delivery they will deny receiving the letter even their staff in the shops state this.

They'll laugh if you say you'll complain to OFCOM, as they now do not deal with consumer disputes.

You need to try OTELO or the other one CISAS for Broadband/Internet related complaints.

I've successfully complained to OFCOM about

1. AOL (in 2005)

2. Talk Talk (this year)

3. Three (this year)

They don't laugh at you they:

1. asked how you have tried to deal with it.

2. if you have dealt with it properly which includes writing to the organisation using a proof of receipt method with a timeframe of a month for the organisation to reply and the organisation has not replied, they take your complaint down

2. they then give you a reference number and the details of who you can directly call in the organisation concerned to deal with your complaint.

When you then contact the organisation concerned they fall over themselves apologising to you due the complaint being registered with OFCOM and then deal with your complaint immediately. They do this because they know you can go back to OFCOM, or take them to court and win very easily.

I suggest you don't tell of people who are writing from experienced and have successfully dealt with their problems that way.

In the case of Talk Talk they have a dedicated team who deal with complaints from OFCOM and you can only get their number from OFCOM.

I suggest you get your own facts right.

I didn't 'tell off' anyone - simply pointing out that OFCOM is not OFTEL (the purely communications regulator). What happened prior to June 2007 is immaterial, as they have been lobbying to get out of the morass of consumer disputes to concentrate on industry-specific issues.

They have always wanted to ensure they don't have to deal with the hoi polloi, and they see no reason to duplicate the work of the agencies I already mentioned. However, OFCOM quite happily pass on complaints to the correct resource (like ICSTIS, now PhonepayPlus) for premium rated phone issues.

I you wish to recommend folk take the long way round to their resolution, feel free - however my route is the direct one and saves being sent from pillar to post. As for 'only gettng the number from OFCOM', you'll find this info is also provided by OTELO, who you were probably dealing with anyway.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Buzby, if you read the post you where replying to, then you would see that my Mom had called her bank (Natwest) about AOL using her card details without her permission! They could only cancel her card!!

As for OFCOM! They provide great consumer advice on their site. I followed the advice they gave me and managed use their Alternative Dispute Resolution scheme. They found in favor of my Mom and I. And a refund from AOL appeared shortly after!

I did some research whilst doing this and found that there are many ways of approaching ISP's if they've misbehaved.

Home page | Ofcom will give good advice. But only advice!!

Office of the Telecommunications Ombudsman - Home Are the Ombudsman service for ISP's and not only give advice but provide a structured complaints form!

ISPA - Home The Internet Services Providers Association is the UK's trade association for providers of internet services.