• Tweets

• Hello all,   I ordered a laptop online about 16 months ago. The laptop was faulty and I was supposed to send it back within guarantee but didn't for various reasons. I contacted the company a few months later and they said they will still fix it for me free of charge but I'd have to pay to send it to them and they will pay to send it back to me. The parcel arrived there fine. Company had fixed it and they sent it via dpd. I was working in the office so I asked my neighbours who would be in, as there's been a history of parcel thefts on our street. I had 2 neighbours who offered but when I went to update delivery instructions, their door number wasn't on the drop down despite sharing the same post code.  I then selected a neighbour who I thought would likely be in and also selected other in the safe place selection and put the number of the neighbour who I knew would definitely be in and they left my parcel outside and the parcel was stolen. DPD didn't want to deal with me and said I need to speak to the retailer. The retailer said DPD have special instructions from them not to leave a parcel outside unless specified by a customer. The retailer then said they could see my instructions said leave in a safe space but I have no porch. My front door just opens onto the road and the driver made no attempt to conceal it.  Anyway, I would like to know if I have rights here because the delivery wasn't for an item that I just bought. It was initially delivered but stopped working within the warranty period and they agreed to fix it for free.  Appreciate your help 🙏🏼   Thanks!
    • As the electric carmaker sees sales fall and cuts jobs, we take a closer look at its problems.View the full article
    • Care to briefly tell someone who isn't tech savvy - i.e. me! - how you did this? Every day is a school day.
    • Hi Guys, well a year on and my friend has just received this in the post today, obviously a little scared so looking for more of your advice.  Letter from the NCC dated 1-May-2024 is as follows.......   Before deputy district judge Haythorne sitting at the national business centre, 4th floor st Kathrine's house Northampton Upon reading an application from the claimant  it is ordered that  1. The claim be sent to the county court at #### (Friends local Court) Because this order has been made without a hearing, the parties have the right to apply to have the order set aside, varied or stayed.  A party making such an application must send or deliver the application to the court (together with any appropriate fee) to arrive within seven days of service of this order.  If the application is one which requires a hearing, and a) the party making the application is the defendant: and b) the defendant is an individual, then upon filing of the application the claim will be transferred to the defendants home court.  In all other cases requiring a hearing the claim will be transferred to the preferred court.    As a result of an order made on the 1 May 2024, this claim has been transferred to the county court at ##### (friends local court) 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Orange - Fair Usage Policy

MungoPL
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5049 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi MungoPL, sorry to hear the hassles you have had with Orange and their FUP. I have crossed swords with two ISP's on this matter and tbh it is a tricky issue.

Sadly it has been tested in court and they found that it was OK for ISPs to advertise unlimited access even if there was a fup attached which effectively then limited the amount you could download etc. I think that the other problem you have, is that after getting their first letter warning you that at 30 gb you were pushing the limits beyond what they thought was fair. You then proceeeded to more than double your download rate. This probably wasn't the best tactic :D

But, in fairness to you I don't think they have been reasonable in their timing from first warning to account closure. Their policy states that they will contact you twice before taking this action. I would try contacting them and discuss their agreement with you, saying that you don't feel you have been given sufficient warning and that you are willling to reduce your usage levels accordingly if they will postpone the suspension.

Of course this asumes you are prepared to drop your usage. If you are not then I can only suggest that you bite the bullet and move on to a different supplier.

Sorry I can't offer anything more postive but this is an issue with almost all ISPs and 30 odd gb is about the average before the fup start to cut in.

Cheers

• Haha 1

Prelim sent May '06

LBA sent June '06

Fob off now rec'd to the prelim

Copy of fob off now rec'd as response to LBA!

Full repayment of all charges since 1997 now received.

Account Closed

Donation made :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi MungoPL, Hope fully if you can have a sensible conversation with them tomorrow it may not come to suspension/closure of the account.

Ask them to check your recent activity and it should be clear that your usage has dropped back to a reasonable level. Assure that it will remain so and you might be bale to convince them not to close it.

As for the contract if they are both part of the same package I think they will have to cancel the whole lot which will include you mobile. If the contract you have is a for internet access and mobile calls and they cancel your internet access because they say you have broken the terms of the contract i.e. by excessive downloading. Then I can't see how they can keep you tied and liable for one part of the contract but not the other.

Hopefully someone else will be along shortly to clarify the situation here but, I guess some of it depends on whether you want to change suppliers for one or the other. If your download usage is going to remain at around 30gb then this may not be an option for you anyway.

Cheers

Prelim sent May '06

LBA sent June '06

Account Closed

Hi MungoPL, I'm not sure if it is too late but i have found in the past if you get a particularly objectionable phone monkey in customer services it's worth a try calling back and a bit later and seeing if someone else there is willing to take a more co-operative approach. Calling at 5pm on a Friday you likely caught somone at the end of a hard day. They were far more interested in going to the pub or back home to catch up on Eastenders than they were to make any effort to help someone.

If the CS line is open now try again and tbh you havn't go a lot to lose.

Did they discuss how they would handle the mobile part of the contract with you? Are they withdrawing the lot?

If they are adamant that they are going to close the account then you must get a MAC code from them. Your new ISP will need it to get you started and without it you may lose the connection then have to be reconnected, this can take weeks and there is usually a £50+ charge to do it. With a MAC code it can be done within a few days and usually without penalty.

Then I guess it's time to look for another ISP.

hth post back and we'll take it from there. Cheers

Prelim sent May '06

LBA sent June '06

Account Closed

Hi MungoPL

I think before you go any further with letters etc. you have to be sure that you are going to be able to reduce your monthly usage to comfortably below 30gb a month on a consistent basis. If this is not posible then tbh I think there's little point in fighting this battle any more with them. You *may* get them to reconsider but without a reduction in usage you will be back to square one within a couple of months anyway.

Is this posible for you?

Cheers

Prelim sent May '06

LBA sent June '06

Account Closed

Hi MungoPL, try this...

Dear Sir madam

Re Account No. ******

Telephone No. *******

I am writing in response to to your letter dated ******. I understand that my past broadband usage may have been in breach of your fair usage policy. Howvever I have now taken significant steps to ensure that my usage is now, and will continue to be well within your indicated guidelines.

Your web site, which outlines your policy and how you will enforce it, does state that you will provide at least two 'warnings' before the threat of account closure becomes a consideration. I was notified only once that my use was excessive and the next letter from you informed me that you would be closing the ccount. This level of notice is therefore contrary to your your quoted procedure. You also mention that "with good will and support we'll work with you to see if we can avoid this [account closure] happening"

I have demonstrated my good will in this situation and agree to moderate my usage in the future. Therefore I would be grateful if you could please reconsider your decision to close my account at this time.

Should you be unwilling to comply with this request, I would be grateful if you could provide an explantion as to why you have not dealt with this matter in accordance with your published process.

I look forward to hearing from you.

I have taken the following from their web site so you will need to include all the information requested below (in bold) so that they can deal with the complaint without delay. It also states that written letters can take up to 5 days before a response is received whereas emails will get a reply with 48 hours. Given the timeline you have before cancellation I would email this to them

• If you would like to e-mail us, simply go to our ‘help channel’ (Orange UK - Contact Us) and follow the instructions. We aim to reply to all e-mails within 48 hours. However, remember that e-mail is not a secure way to exchange personal or sensitive information.

• You can send your complaint to:

Orange Customer Care

PO Box 486

Rotherham

S63 5ZX.

25. How we will deal with your complaint

This will depend on how you make your complaint. However, when you contact us we will need to ask for:

* your e-mail address;

* the phone number from which you dial the internet;

* your date of birth;

* your full postal address (if you can complain in writing); and

* your password.

If you can have this information to hand or include it in your original complaint, it will speed things up.

Once we receive your complaint we will record it. If you write to us we will give you a reference number, which we will let you know and will ask you to quote when you contact us about the complaint.

We do try to settle all complaints immediately, but sometimes we may have to investigate the matter before we can get back to you. We aim to reply to complaints made by e-mail within 48 hours, and complaints made in writing within 5 working days.

If you are not satisfied with the way we deal with your complaint, you should ask for it to be considered again by someone with more authority. You can do this immediately if you are on the phone or we will arrange for someone to contact you. If you have asked for this by e-mail or letter, you will receive a response within 48 hours for e-mails and 5 working days for letters.

Hth, post back if you have any other queries. Cheers

Prelim sent May '06

LBA sent June '06

Account Closed

Hi MungoPL, it sounds like they have carried out their threat then. Your letter may have got through, although with the post the way it is at the moment there is no guarantee. If you sent it by special delivery then you can check on the Track and Trace section here http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm to see if it was signed for.

Other than that it looks like you are going to have to find another route to get the cheap calls. Did you get a mac code from them?

One of the best deals I have found is 1899.com. It is a free carrier service so you need a BT line and you just dial a prefix number before whatever number you would normally dial. It is a free to join system and they are currently charging 2p per minute to Poland. I know it's not free but 2p a min isn't bad. It would also free you up to join whatever ISP you want, posibly one with a more generous fup.

Or you could try any of the skype type services. Although there is usually still a connection charge and it can cost a fair bit albeit a lot less than BT's rates.

Cheers

Prelim sent May '06

LBA sent June '06

Account Closed

Hi derekmcl

Sorry to hear you have been having hassles from Orange as well. It seems like they are taking a zero tolerance view on this and other issues. I am aware that they are making these account closures with very little/sometimes no notice at all.

tbh it sounds like you're almost better off without them derekmcl, I would contact them and confirm how they intend to deal wiit he thremaining part of the contract. I think they are going to find it very difficult to hold you to one part when they have cancelled another part of a contract. If you end up having to change ISP make sure you get a mac code from them, it will make the change far easier and cheaper.

I woud agree with your cynical conclusion although I would expect that part of the service to be stopped soon as well. I would call them and find out exactly how they intend to apply the rest of your contract and then work it out from there. Post back here if you have any problems

Cheers

Prelim sent May '06

LBA sent June '06

Account Closed

Hi MungoPL

tbh your letter is presumably stuck in the postal strike so it's unlikely to get a response within the next two weeks. As they have already cut you off, I wouldn't think they even going to consider reversing this descision. I have known a few of these situations and while I have seen them agree to put off a closure I have never known it to be reversed once it is completed. I would call them again, explain the situation. Confirm that your usage will be lower in the future, push on the fact that you were not given the notice stated in their t & c's and hope for the best.

If they refuse to deal then ask for a mac code and start looking for an alternative deal. You are very unlikely to get a different result from your letter, and this way saves you waiting around for days on end while they take their time to get through the mail.

Cheers

Prelim sent May '06

LBA sent June '06

Account Closed

• 1 month later...

You're right Buzby and I stand corrected, although interestingly it was Orange that was involved in at least one of these investigations

See here for the adjudication from June of this year

Orange Personal Communications Services Ltd

if you search under 'unlimited broadband' you will find other cases where the same argument has beenn tried - and failed unfortunately.

You could try this is in the legislative court system but given that it has been pretty well tested by the ASA already I think your chances of success are slim.

MungoPL, I have lost track on your situation, sorry. Did you manage to get reconnected with Orange or are you with another ISP now?

Cheers

Prelim sent May '06

LBA sent June '06

Account Closed

• 3 weeks later...

Hi MungoPL and welcome back :)

You could wite another letter but have you checked with Royal Mail to see if the first one was received? You last wrote back in October without a response and when you spoke to them on the phone they were less than helpful, only confirming that your account would be closed and offering a MAC code. Unfortunately I don't expect the reaction to be much different now.

I assume that you did not accept the offer of the code and simply left it? If this is the case and your account has been closed then whichever ISPyou go to may have to charge a connection fee. What are you being charged for on your mobile? Is this on the same £5 tarrif or has it reverted to PAYG or other? If you are still paying the same as you were you could have a good argument for asking that the rest of the contract package also continue to be supplied?

If you can let us know some of this information we can try and work out the best way forward. Cheers

Prelim sent May '06

LBA sent June '06

Account Closed

Hi Simon, thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear it has finished in this way. It would appear that Orange have lost a lot of customers recently through many of the changes and ' improvments' in their service. Their customeer service, from my own experience, is appalling and you have to wonder how much longer they can go losing revenue at this rate before they realise what's going wrong.

One thing that puzzles me about your post is that you are waiting till your contract expires. Is this a benefit to you? If they have closed your account then I would think that would end the contract between you. Of course if it is useful for you to use it then fine but why wait if you don't need to?

Cheers

Prelim sent May '06

LBA sent June '06

Account Closed

Hi Simon, tbh I'm not really sure. I have had a look through the t&c and the only think I can say for sure is that they have been very sure to make certain that all rules will have a sub clause so taht it either doesn't apply or will end in their favour anyway :roll:. But...

First option I would think is to request a copy of their code of practice.

disputes between you and us

19.10 You may request that disputes between you and us are referred to arbitration under our Code of Practice for Consumer Affairs. We will supply a copy of our Code of Practice for Consumer Affairs to you on request.

Your account was closed becuase you exceeded their 'fair use policy'. But that policy also lays out the steps they are obliged to take in order to resolve this issue...

What will happen if my use is very high?

If you only occasionally have very high usage, we're unlikely to be concerned unless it becomes a regular occurrence. If this does happen then we'll get in touch to help you find ways to reduce your usage.

If your usage continues to be very high, we'll get in touch again. Ultimately, if your usage still remains excessive despite our attempts to help you reduce it, we may have to suspend your service and possibly close your account.

We don't want to do that, and with your support and goodwill we'll work with you to see if we can avoid this happening.

So I would ask them to demonstrate what steps they took in line with this and if they cannot then say you will be making a formal complaint requesting that your whole contract be terminated without penalty because of their failure to comply.

They may find that it may be better to end the contract than have to deal with a stream of correspondance and the complants procedure.

Cheers

Prelim sent May '06

LBA sent June '06

Account Closed

Hi Simon.

Sadly, Orange customer service in this country has always been pretty poor, recently however it seems to have stooped to a disgraceful level - there are a lot of unhappy ex or soon to be ex Orange customers about, Orange Problems - Index - Orange Broadband, Orange Email, Orange Mobile Phones - OrangeProblems.co.uk (formerly WanadooProblems.co.uk) make for some very interesting reading.

I'm not sure why they are ringing you to tell you why your account was closed, you already know the reason. But it may be a good opportunity to ask them to explain about the steps they took to help you cut back on your usage before closing the account. If it doesn't match what is quoted above then you could ask fior it to be reinstated, be clear that you now understand the limits on this account and will try to keep it below that in the future.

I guess what I'm saying is *if* they do ring you, then give them the opportunity to remedy the situation, but if the still refuse to reinstate the account then ask for a copy of the complaints procedure. You have a right to request it, and you do not have to explain why you want it. Post back with their response and we can take it from there.

Cheers

Prelim sent May '06

LBA sent June '06

Account Closed