• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

About Experian > About the information we hold

pford
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6351 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

just got the wifes credit report found a default on it now setled, sent them an email asking why it still there found this little bit on there web site

Can I prevent Experian from holding information about me?

No. In fact, we have a legal right to hold information about people. Credit reference agencies (Experian, Equifax, and Callcredit) help lenders quickly process credit applications. If we did not hold such information then it would be much harder for you to obtain credit. A good credit record makes it easier for you to get credit.

what legal right their having a laugh will wait for there reply

hi pford

I would be careful, as remember the do have the right to hold CIFAS (Fraud Prevention Service) and GAIN (Gone Away Information Network)

But good luck !!!

Hondamad :)

EGG CC Default Removal: Have reported Egg to Trading Standards, Summery Claim - 2nd Hearing Date 09/10/07. Click here to read posts

Monument CC: received statements, now need to send letters. . . !

BoS Current Account: Settled

Citi Cards: Hhmm seems like I have sued the wrong “entity”. Aaaaahhhhh . . .. oh well back to court I go, and they have settled in full!!!

:-D:p:D

This is just advice from me. If you are not sure please seek legal advice. However if what I have said has been helpful, than please add to my reputation by clicking on the scales :D

Im not so sure thats not true, the legal right to hold information that is.

in truth I am not certain the DPA prevents people from using data in accordance with an agreement and if you have an account with the bank or cc company the data relates to, then they have the right to inform the CRA since its in the T&C you signed.

However, once they have that data i believe from the threads on here that they dont necessarily have the right to process that data especially if you withdraw that right from them formally.

Additionally if you dont have an account with the relevant bank then they cannot supply the CRA with data either since the data is supplied to the CRA under the T&C as part of a contract.

So it may be a weasily way with words to imply that they can do what they want without actually telling a lie.

Not that it makes much of a difference to us i guess.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

hi pford

I would be careful, as remember the do have the right to hold CIFAS (Fraud Prevention Service) and GAIN (Gone Away Information Network)

But good luck !!!

Hondamad :)

Who said anything about this was on about their Legal right to hold data on you for defaults?

had a reply no luck yet will press on

Thank you for your email, which we received on 18 August 2006.

I note your comments and I can confirm that we keep defaulted accounts on your report for six years from the date of default. This is true whether or not the debt has been fully repaid.

Kind regards

Miss Jade E Martyn

Consumer Services Officer

CreditExpert

Response was this

On what grounds are you allowed keeping this information on my file for six

years as the contract has been settled?

had a reply to my last email

Thank you for your email, which we received on 24 August 2006.

I note your comments and I would advise that this time period has is considered a reasonable amount of time by the Information Commissioner who regulates credit reference agencies such as ourselves. For further clarification you may which to contact the Information Commissioner at the below address:

The Information Commissioner: Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5AF

Kind regards

Miss Jade E Martyn

CreditExpert

so i sent them this

Then can you please explain under which section of the Data Protection Act

there are grounds for you to hold this data for 6 years

what a load of s*** got a reply to my request

Thank you for your email, which we received on 28 August 2006.

I note your comments and would advise that The Data Protection Act 1998 consists of eight principals. The fifth principal states:

"Data must not be kept for longer than necessary".

As per my previous correspondence, the Information Commissioner has decided that the period of six years is a necessary amount of time to hold this type of information.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should require any further assistance, alternatively should you have any further questions with regards to the length of time this information is held, you should contact the Information Commissioner using the contact details that I provided to you in my previous e-mail.

Kind regards

Miss Jade E Martyn

CreditExpert

Sent them this in reply

Took a few quote's out of surlybounds letter

After further investigation into this matter it has led me to conclude that the only six-year data ‘retention rule’, to which you may adhere to, is in relation to information in the public domain, e.g. Bankruptcy Orders/Discharges, IVAs, CCJs, etc. These are kept in the public domain for six years. But, these are sealed orders issued by a judge through the Courts who oversee the ultimate jurisdiction in all matters relating to Law, be it the criminal code or the Common Law. It is not up to Credit Reference Agencies, or lenders, to decide legal issues.

In addition, the agencies may also hold information that is deemed ‘in the public interest’ for the avoidance of credit fraud or deliberate repayment avoidance; I refer, of course, to CIFAS and GAIN entries on a credit file. My former account was not subject to any such marker, nor is my former civil contract with the HFC a public matter.

In my case, HFC is still processing data after the cancellation of the contract, whether or not this is a simple renewal process of the default flag, daily or by other timing factor. As that contract is no longer in situ, then my written permission has also ceased from the date of cancellation.

This is confirmed in Principle 2 of the Data Protection Act, which states:

"2. Personal data shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes, and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes."

I emphasise the term "specified and lawful purposes" as in ‘those specified within the contract’, and no more. I also emphasise the term "shall not be further processed".

What a load of crap :mad:

I'd like to see that evidence where the Information Commissioner says Adverse Info MUST be kept for 6 years.

Yes, the quote you have supplied from SB's letter is the best one to use. Also rememebr that SB said they will kick up a fuss and claim that they can't remove the information, but so long as you keep badgering them they will eventually do it.

You may have to issue Court Papers to get them to comply, but hopefully after several rounds of letters from you they will just give up the will to live and remove the wretched thing.

At the end of the day it is not written down in law to say they can keep this - and I would love to see them prove otherwise in court. These people seem to think that Acts have been passed in Parliament for their benefit only..:evil:

they have to be having a laugh reply to my last email to them

Thank you for your email, which we received on 29 August 2006.

I note your comments and I would reiterate that the Information Commissioner regulates lenders and Credit Reference Agencies. The Information Commissioner has decided that it is necessary to hold credit account information for a period of six years therefore, should you dispute this time period, you should contact the Information Commissioner with your comments.

Kind regards

Miss Jade E Martyn

CreditExpert

So they've practically admitted that they don't have a leg to stand on and are passing the buck.

What they are doing is not bound by law, so they are pretty dumb to think they can just pass the buck to the Information Commissioner and get away with it!!

The Information Commissioner has set a recommendation - bugger all else :mad:

I hope you have your £150 ready because it's looking like court time :mad:

now shall i send them this

Thank you for your comments on this matter so what you are telling me is that you do not have to abide by the Data Protection Act 1998 and it is the Information Commissioner who has made this decision. May I draw your attention to Section 10 & 12 of the Act, my written permission with HFC was terminated when the account was settled. Please note HFC have been served a Notice under these sections of the Data Protection Act 1998. For your convenience I have reproduced this section in full

10. - (1) Subject to subsection (2), an individual is entitled at any time by notice in writing to a data controller to require the data controller at the end of such period as is reasonable in the circumstances to cease, or not to begin, processing, or processing for a specified purpose or in a specified manner, any personal data in respect of which he is the data subject, on the ground that, for specified reasons-

(a) the processing of those data or their processing for that purpose or in that manner is causing or is likely to cause substantial damage or substantial distress to him or to another, and

(b) that damage or distress is or would be unwarranted.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply-

(a) in a case where any of the conditions in paragraphs 1 to 4 of Schedule 2 is met, or

(b) in such other cases as may be prescribed by the Secretary of State by order.

3) The data controller must within twenty-one days of receiving a notice under subsection (1) ("the data subject notice") give the individual who gave it a written notice-

(a) stating that he has complied or intends to comply with the data subject notice, or

(b) stating his reasons for regarding the data subject notice as to any extent unjustified and the extent (if any) to which he has complied or intends to comply with it.

(4) If a court is satisfied, on the application of any person who has given a notice under subsection (1) which appears to the court to be justified (or to be justified to any extent), that the data controller in question has failed to comply with the notice, the court may order him to take such steps for complying with the notice (or for complying with it to that extent) as the court thinks fit.

5) The failure by a data subject to exercise the right conferred by subsection (1) or section 11(1) does not affect any other right conferred on him by this Part.

12. - (1) An individual is entitled at any time, by notice in writing to any data controller, to require the data controller to ensure that no decision taken by or on behalf of the data controller which significantly affects that individual is based solely on the processing by automatic means of personal data in respect of which that individual is the data subject for the purpose of evaluating matters relating to him such as, for example, his performance at work, his creditworthiness, his reliability or his conduct.

(2) Where, in a case where no notice under subsection (1) has effect, a decision which significantly affects an individual is based solely on such processing as is mentioned in subsection (1)-

(a) the data controller must as soon as reasonably practicable notify the individual that the decision was taken on that basis, and

(b) the individual is entitled, within twenty-one days of receiving that notification from the data controller, by notice in writing to require the data controller to reconsider the decision or to take a new decision otherwise than on that basis.

(3) The data controller must, within twenty-one days of receiving a notice under subsection (2)(b) ("the data subject notice") give the individual a written notice specifying the steps that he intends to take to comply with the data subject notice.

(4) A notice under subsection (1) does not have effect in relation to an exempt decision; and nothing in subsection (2) applies to an exempt decision.

(5) In subsection (4) "exempt decision" means any decision-

(a) in respect of which the condition in subsection (6) and the condition in subsection (7) are met, or

(b) which is made in such other circumstances as may be prescribed by the Secretary of State by order.

(6) The condition in this subsection is that the decision-

(a) is taken in the course of steps taken-

(i) for the purpose of considering whether to enter into a contract with the data subject,

(ii) with a view to entering into such a contract, or

(iii) in the course of performing such a contract, or

(b) is authorised or required by or under any enactment

7) The condition in this subsection is that either-

(a) the effect of the decision is to grant a request of the data subject, or

(b) steps have been taken to safeguard the legitimate interests of the data subject (for example, by allowing him to make representations).

(8 If a court is satisfied on the application of a data subject that a person taking a decision in respect of him ("the responsible person") has failed to comply with subsection (1) or (2)(b), the court may order the responsible person to reconsider the decision, or to take a new decision which is not based solely on such processing as is mentioned in subsection (1).

(9) An order under subsection (8 shall not affect the rights of any person other than the data subject and the responsible person.

SCHEDULE 2

CONDITIONS RELEVANT FOR PURPOSES OF THE FIRST PRINCIPLE: PROCESSING OF ANY PERSONAL DATA

• The data subject has given his consent to the processing.

• The processing is necessary-

(a) for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is a party, or

(b) for the taking of steps at the request of the data subject with a view to entering into a contract.

• The processing is necessary for compliance with any legal obligation to which the data controller is subject, other than an obligation imposed by contract.

• The processing is necessary in order to protect the vital interests of the data subject

Hi there, I am a bit confused - have you sent the s10/12 request to HFC or to a Debt Collector? Is it with a Dent Collector?

Oh, and which email addresses are you using?

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

was just trying to get some info out of the CCA on this thread just to try and see if they would admit anything sent the s10 & 12 nottice to HFC thats in another thread here about gettting my default removed by them.

just emailed the cca with this lets see what answer they come up with this time.

Thank you for your time on this after further investigation into theData Protection Act (1998) Legal Guidance by the Information Commissioner

I have reproduced this section in full and can find no mention where it says you are allowed to keep this information for six years regarding the fifth principle of the act. As my former contract has now been settled With HFC.

3.5 Fifth Principle

“Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes”.

To comply with this Principle, data controllers will need to review their personal data regularly and to delete the information which is no longer required for their purposes.

Statutes may make specific provision relating to the retention of certain categories of data, for example, the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984. Recommendations with regard to the retention of certain information can be found in the CCTV Code of Practice published by the Commissioner which contains guidance on the retention periods of recorded material.

If personal data have been recorded because of a relationship between the data controller and the data subject, the need to keep the information should be considered when the relationship ceases to exist. For example, the data subject may be an employee who has left the employment of the data controller. The end of the relationship will not necessarily cause the data controller to delete all the personal data. It may well be necessary to keep some of the information so that the data controller will be able to confirm details of the data subject ‘s employment for, say, the provision of references in the future or to enable the employer to provide the relevant information in respect of the data subject’s pension arrangements. It may well be necessary in some cases to retain certain information to enable the data controller to defend legal claims, which may be made in the future. Unless there is some other reason for keeping them, the personal data should be deleted when the possibility of a claim arising no longer exists i.e when the relevant statutory time limit has expired.

The data controller may wish to consider the value of records for historical purposes. The Act provides that personal data processed only for historical, statistical or research purposes in compliance with the conditions set out in section 33, may be kept indefinitely. (Section 33(3)).

think they are fed up with me now not even acknowledged my last email.

so loged into creditreport and sent them this with a few bits from one of SB posts

As you have refused to answer my emails on this subject.

I have done as you have advised, and this afternoon spoke to the credit services expert at the Information Commissioners Office, who agreed with me that you only have lawful right IF I have signed a contract. He also agreed that a contract expiry might bring into jeopardy your alleged right, as a secondary controller, to continue processing that data.

He also agreed that it might not be considered correct to maintain this data (unless I had specifically given permission) as it was not in the public interest, and was also personal and confidential information.

Also this information for your attention relating to the Fifth Principle of the Data Protection Act (1998) Legal Guidance by the Information Commissioner I have reproduced this section in full

3.5 Fifth Principle

“Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes”.

To comply with this Principle, data controllers will need to review their personal data regularly and to delete the information which is no longer required for their purposes.

Statutes may make specific provision relating to the retention of certain categories of data, for example, the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984. Recommendations with regard to the retention of certain information can be found in the CCTV Code of Practice published by the Commissioner which contains guidance on the retention periods of recorded material.

If personal data have been recorded because of a relationship between the data controller and the data subject, the need to keep the information should be considered when the relationship ceases to exist. For example, the data subject may be an employee who has left the employment of the data controller. The end of the relationship will not necessarily cause the data controller to delete all the personal data. It may well be necessary to keep some of the information so that the data controller will be able to confirm details of the data subject ‘s employment for, say, the provision of references in the future or to enable the employer to provide the relevant information in respect of the data subject’s pension arrangements. It may well be necessary in some cases to retain certain information to enable the data controller to defend legal claims, which may be made in the future. Unless there is some other reason for keeping them, the personal data should be deleted when the possibility of a claim arising no longer exists i.e when the relevant statutory time limit has expired.

The data controller may wish to consider the value of records for historical purposes. The Act provides that personal data processed only for historical, statistical or research purposes in compliance with the conditions set out in section 33, may be kept indefinitely. (Section 33(3)).

well had a reply to last email to them do they know what they are doing LOL

Thank you for your email, which we received on 04 September 2006.

I note your comments, but would advise that it has been agreed with the Information Commissioner's Office that six years is a reasonable time for that data to be retained on your credit report.

However, in view of your recent communication with the Information Commissioners' Office, we will be happy to liaise with them accordingly for you.

Kind regards

Mr Barry R Clarke

CreditExpert

lol, and your reply will be?....

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

I was thinking the same - good old SurlyBonds, he has single-handedly (with the help of some others) helped us realise our rights and start to make the CRA's come crashing down, lol.

I'm sure he won't mind if you use one of his replies. Just post it here so we can keep track of it!!

Good luck.

My charges claims:

Default removals: