Capital One Credit Card clone!!!

bitonw
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6566 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place but here I go.

I have an Capital One Credit Card for some time and on an Thursday morning in the beginning of May I got an phone call on my mobile from Capital One. The man on the phone was asking me some security questions and on my question why he asked me `did you try to cache money from an ATM last night'.

Well quite shocked I told them no I didn't collect any money? While on the phone I checked my jacket and didn't found my wallet. Then he told me that they used the correct PIN code to get money from my account. This was done at 1.30 am in North London. I live in Birmingham!

Because I couldn't find my wallet I was thinking that I lost it, or it had been stolen... So Capital One blocked the account and told me to go to the Police to report it. He asked me if I had my PIN code in my wallet? I replied NO I'm not that a fool, I use over 15 years bank cards with PIN codes and never store them any where. After this phone call I made 2 more calls to my other Credit Cards companies to block those cards too. Strange the other cards (Barclay Platinum) were not be used or tried...

Anyway I called my girlfriend to tell her this, she was also upset and quickly drove home to check my other jacket. Guess what she found my wallet with all the Credit Cards...

So I called Capital One back and told them that I had the card so how was it possible to collect money from my account? They didn't knew and will shift it to the crime department. I will soon get an form to fill what happened. Some days later I checked my account and saw that they refunded the (stolen) money.

Today I received an letter from Capital One:

Thank you for informing us that there are unrecognised transactions on the account number quoted above, which you reported as stolen.

These transactions were made with your card and were verified by the use of a personal identification number (PIN).

The PIN is treated with the utmost security. Number are issued randomly and we do net store them anywhere on our computer systems. It is completely confidential to you.

Your credit agreement states that your PIN is confidential and it should never be written down or kept with your card. If it is, we treat this as gross negligence and you will be held liable for the first £50 of transactions that have taken place.

Because your card and PIN must have been together for the transactions to have taken place, and the amount withdrawn is less than £50, you are responsible for the full amount. We have debited £20 from your new account and this will show on your statement as a `principal debit'.

If you have any questions, please call us on our freephone number, witch is at the top of this letter. We're here Monday to Sunday 8am-7.30pm.

So as you can understand I was very angry with this letter and called them on 08009525458. The woman on the phone told me after I told my story that I should write them a letter with my statement and may be they will refund me... But this letter should go to an different department! I had to write to the Executive Officer, ERC Department, Capital One Bank Plc, PO Box 5281, Nottingham, NG2 3HX.

Yeah, sure shift your responsibility to another department so you don't have to face your problems! How in the hell can Capital One hold me liable for their mistake? It's not my problem that those cards are that easy to clone! I never went to North London at 1.30am to take £20 of my account! I even have two widenesses to confirm that I was in Birmingham the whole night. It also cost more petrol to drive from Birmingham to London and back than that £20! I still have that card in my procession so why it's stolen or lost? I didn't trow it away yet when I received my new card. Also I have my colleges on my work who can confirm that I called with my girlfriend and that I called with Capital One to tell them that I didn't lost or stolen my Wallet / Card...

So what is this [problem] with this bank? Yes, for me it's a [problem]! I'm banking since 1978 and never had any kind of problems like this here on this Island with banks. I lived on many other European countries and I tell you this is absolute a nightmare. This is the same with those charges those banks are taking of our accounts. Bear in mind that the UK banks are the most rich banks in the world... Wonder why...

Will call them tomorrow again to speak with someone who can clarify this whole story.

Biton

Hi,

Had another phone call with them on 08000525119 and the man on the phone told me he couldn't change it. So I asked them that I wanted to speak with some one who can. He told me that the Supervisor will call me back after about 2 hours.

Indeed got phone call from the Crime Department and the woman told me that they will send me an crime form and will do an refund on my account.

Biton

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 11 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6566 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks