• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Claire vs Marbles

claire x
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6122 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK - I went overdrawn on a Marbles Credit Card 2 years ago. I went over my limit and they kept charging me. I explained that I was out of work but to no avail. The charges kept coming and mounting up and up. I tried to contact them by writing to them but they said they never got the letter. I also explained to them by telephone that I had no way of paying but they offered no help or advice. Just that I should find the funds. Eventually they referred it to a debt collecting agency and then when I found work I started to pay £20 a month. Once I was in a position to pay, I settled the whole amount outstanding in full.

Just found out that I will need to write a letter to data protection to get info on the charges I made. Will I need my account details and what is there address? Dont think I'll have any account info though??? Thanks for any help you can give guys! My credit score is terrible! And all for something that I couldnt help and Marbles wouldn't help me get out of! :(

:-)

Data Protection Act Letter

Sent 30th June 2006 - waiting for response..... :shock: Received 01 August but incomplete!!! :rolleyes:

Data Protection Act - Non-Compliance letter

Sent 30 August 2006 - 7 days to respond.....

Also I agreed on a settlement figure. Will this go against me claiming anything back due to me agreeing to pay a lower amount in full? Even though it was probably made up of charges.

The amount I ended up paying was definitely mostly charges.

Sent 30th June 2006 - waiting for response..... :shock: Received 01 August but incomplete!!! :rolleyes:

OK, now I've had time to read through after work I'm happier. Got my letter drafted to get the info and will be sending it recorded delivery tomorrow!

Wish me luck! :D

Best of luck Claire, go get 'em.... :)

Brad

Support Consumer Action Group, tell your friends, family, spread the word, help each other, and together we can show the banks we are no longer going to roll over and play dead.

There is hope, you just have to find it....

Hi Bradkb,

Did you default on your marbles card? To be honest I'm more bothered about getting my name cleared than getting any money back (although that would be nice of course! :D)

Letter sent recorded delivery this morning 8)

No, surprisingly Marbles did not default me, Egg did after missing 2 payments, marbles were fine, I kept in contact, they slapped me with charges, but never issued a default.

Brad

Support Consumer Action Group, tell your friends, family, spread the word, help each other, and together we can show the banks we are no longer going to roll over and play dead.

Maybe it's because I gave up calling them because I couldn't offer them any money and they knew that because I was out of work. Also their phone calls and correspondence stopped until I received a letter from the debt collectors...

Will this go against me do you think?

Absolutely not, follow the steps, its YOUR money, always remember that. These are unenforceable penalties.... and you are entitled to them back. I am now going after EGG mainly to get my default removed.

Brad

Cool! I'm a bit of a chicken! I'll probably get scared when they start mentioning court.... BUT I WILL BE STRONG!!!

I'm also in the process of claiming tax back from 2003-2004. They had me on the BR tax code all year and stupid me didn't realise! Now I'm pushing to get a rebate. Hopefully it should be pretty good. And the only reason I noticed was when I was fishing through my paperwork to find an old marbles statement :cool:

Good luck with egg! :D

I've just realised that I sent my letter without an account number. I called Marbles to get my account number and they wouldn't give it to me. They said I had to write to them to get this info. I put all address details relating to the account in my letter but are they going to fob me off because I didnt include the account number? And if I write to the address they gave me to get my account number, will they reply or am I going to go around in circles?

:confused:

Right, Data Protection Letter sent properly :rolleyes: on 30th June.... :D

• 1 month later...

Just got back off holiday. HFC had sent me my statements. But only half of them. Dont they have to send me them all from the very beginning? From the statements I have received, apart from one, they are all bank charges and late payment charges. Each time being a total of £40.

So because they havent sent me all the information, I take it I can report them?

Also, they sent the information to my old address. Luckily I knew the person living at my old house and they brought the post around but I did clearly state in my original letter the address to send the information to :rolleyes:

OK I've had another read of the website (always forget where the info is!!) Just sent a Data Protection Act - Non-Compliance letter as they have exceeded the 40 day deadline. I've given them 7 days to send me ALL the info.... watch this space..... :)

I have a feeling that I'm not going to get the rest of the info within this 7 days so I'm preparing the documents to send to the Data Protection Commissioner to complain that they havent complied. I will do this on the 7th day (Wednesday). As read in the FAQs section this may not be as effective as sending the particulars of claim letter to the courts. So I have prepared the particulars of claim - - hard copy version letter which I can send. However the main reason for me doing all this is to get my default removed (the refund in money is a bonus). The info I have been sent by HFC does show that apart from one transaction, over £500 over my limit is due to charges due to late payments and being over my limit. (Being over my limit is due to the charges (!!!)

Can I just add onto the particulars of claim about the default or should I just send the letter as it is and mention the default at a later date? Or can I add something in at this stage?

I'm getting a bit confused now as to how to move this forward and really dont want to get it wrong. Can anyone give me any words of wisdom please? I've read the step by step and the FAQs but I'm not 100%.... :)

• 10 months later...

When sending the prelim letter, does this apply about the interest or does this just relate to an account? I had a Marbles credit card.

What I require

I calculate that you have taken £XXXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX .

When sending the prelim letter, does this apply about the interest or does this just relate to an account? I had a Marbles credit card.

What I require

I calculate that you have taken £XXXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX .

hi claire x

what stage are you at? Did you manage to get all of your statements from marbles? If so use one of the spreadsheets in the library to calculate how much you are owed. In your letter state your account number and what you are claiming back. ie your unlawful charges.

Put the total amount of charges, interest from the charges and overall interest, the spreadsheet should do this all for you.

James Ball is dealing with my claim/dispute with Marbles at the minute, if you would like his details let me know, good luck

birchave:)

9-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent:o !! Lloyds and Halifax!

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Capital One

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Halifax Card Services

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Marbles

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Halifax (Birchave0's sis)

8-3-07 PPI refund Lloyds TSB Loan £1200 + £2900 off loan balance

22-5-07 Halifax *Won* £1025

23-9-07 Goldfish 8k balance written off, £2300 PPI + charges returned, no agreement