• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

The MP's campaign-Responses

moneyhelp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5898 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

emailed the following, and will update as and when replies come in,

John Whittaker MEP

Den Dover MEP

Arlene McCarthy MEP

Brian Simpson MEP

Chris Davies MEP

Gary Titley MEP

Sajjad Karim MEP

David Sumberg MEP

Robert Atkins MEP

:madgrin:

Just had the following response from Brian Simpson

Thank you for your email. I note you have written also to my colleague

Arlene McCarthy MEP who is the Labour MEP with responsibility for your area

and she will respond on behalf of the Labour MEPs in due course.

BRIAN SIMPSON MEP

Received from office of Sajjad Karim MEP

Dear

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact one of your Liberal

Democrat representatives for the North West region, Sajjad Karim MEP, to

make him aware of your concerns regarding the test case against banks and their over charging.

We are in the process of researching and reviewing your concerns and will

contact you as and when it is appropriate.

Kind Regards

Verity Brown

Admin Assistant to Sajjad Karim MEP

Just had the following reply from office of Sajjad Karim

14th August 2007

Dear Mr

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact Mr Sajjad Karim MEP

regarding your concerns about the decision by the Office of Fair Trade to bring the matter of bank charges to a test case. Please allow me to take this opportunity to inform you that your concerns have been passed on to Mr Karim personally.

The Liberal Democrats believe that the enormous profits made by banks highlight the raw deal UK customers are getting from banks. The government's failure to get to grips in addressing banking system means that whilst banks boost their profit margins, many customers are getting deeper and deeper into debt. The rules adjoining charges are obscure and lacking transparency and banks are finding it less and less easy to justify such charges because they are not related to their cost.

The Cruickshank report which was released some time ago, identified the

unacceptable position of bank charges and consequently, the Liberal Democrats have recognised that the deeper problem is that the authorities are looking at the issue in a piece-meal manner and therefore the decision by the OFT is surely a step in the right direction. The Lib Dems also recognise the fact that there needs to be a comprehensive approach to bank charges.

A formal investigation into bank charges is supported by the Lib Dems, the Shadow Chancellor, Mr Vince Cable MP commented that he "strongly support(s) the OFT's sophisticated move to call the banks' bluff on the provision of so-called 'free' banking...with soaring profits seemingly unrelated to the standard of customer service, whether it be overdraft charges or cheque clearing times, it is essential that this investigation forces transparency into the market. The banks must not be allowed to abuse their position."

Although your concerns are of course taken very seriously, the decision by the FTO to launch a full investigation is clearly a positive measure to ensure that such unfair charges cease to be justifiable under legal auspices.

Many thanks again for contacting us and kind regards

Lucy Pickles

Casework Assistant to Sajjad Karim MEP

• 2 weeks later...

Received the following from Sir Robert Atkins MEP

Dear Mr Cross

Many thanks for your message of 9th August.

Sir Robert shares your concerns about the arrangement between the OFT, FSA and

UK retail banking industry to freeze out further overcharging complaints whilst

a test case is being brought and has received several similar letters and

messages from his constituents.

He believes that you should petition (formally complain about this practice) the

European Parliament to give it the opportunity to call attention to this

apparent infringement of your rights. If the subject of your petition concerns

an area of activity of the European Union it will normally be declared

admissible by the Committee on Petitions, which will then decide what type of

action should be taken.

Depending on the circumstances, the Committee on Petitions may:

1. Ask the European Commission to conduct a preliminary investigation and

provide information regarding compliance with relevant Community legislation,

2. Refer the petition to other European Parliament committees for information or

further action (a committee might, for example, take account of a petition in

its legislative activities),

3. In some exceptional cases submit a report to Parliament to be voted upon in

plenary or conduct a fact-finding visit,

4. Or take any other action considered appropriate to try to resolve an issue.

The Petitions Committee of the European Parliament may seek to cooperate with

national or local authorities in Member States to resolve an issue raised by a

petitioner.

It cannot, however, override decisions taken by competent authorities within

Member States. As the European Parliament is not a judicial authority, it can

neither pass judgement on, nor revoke decisions taken by, the Courts of law in

Member States. Petitions seeking such courses of action are inadmissible.

Further information about the petitioning process and details of how to lodge

your complaint can be accessed via the following link:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/parliament/public/staticDisplay.do?id=49&language=

EN

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Kind regards

Paul Laffin (Political Assistant)

And the following "sod off were not interested" from Gary Titley MEP

Dear Mr Cross,

Thank you for your e-mail of 9th August, which was awaiting me when this office re-opened

earlier this week following the European Parliament’s summer recess.

The European Union has no jurisdiction over the issue you raise and therefore I am sorry to

have to tell you that there is nothing I can do at EU level to assist you with it.

I only wish I could have brought you a more positive reply.

Yours sincerely

Gary Titley MEP