Statue of Limitation

closey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6513 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am still unclear why we are only claiming back six year. The statute of limitation is a law which limits the length of time within which a suit must be commenced before the right to sue is lost. So in other words once we know about unlawful bank charges we have six years in which to act upon that knowledge.

Could one of the MODs shed light on why we advising about this the wrong way round. Surely we are lettting the banks get away with thousands more pounds they have unlawfully taken.

Lloyds TSB - £972

S.A.R, prelim and LBA sent

Claim acknowledged

Defence received

AQ 20/06/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 20/07/06***

Woolwich - £2288

S.A.R, prelim and LBA sent.

Offered half

Moneyclaim filed online 02/08/06

Judgement filed online 23/08/06

WARRANT FILED ONLINE 30/08/06

MONEY RECEIVED BY BALIFF 04/10/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 09/10/06***

Smile - £175

Pelim 23/06/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 07/07/06***

My Ex vs Woolwich - £715

S.A.R sent 30/08/06

Pelim 06/10/06

LBA 20/10/06

Advice & opinions provided are personal, and not endorsed by CAG or BAG, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

There are a number of threads on this issue, and lots of people testing the boundaries eg Spiceskull and AlanfromDerby. If you do a few searches there has been a lot of discussion on this. Under the DPA banks are only required to keep financial information for 6 years, so supposedly you can't get information further back, but plenty of people are claiming further back, although I couldn't comment on success rates. Keep searching and you will find the threads.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Ahhh - you're confused.

We have six years from "The Cause" to submit an "Action". "The Cause" is the first unlawful charge being levied. If this was anything more than 6 years ago, then it's effectively statute barred as you only have 6 years to claim, from "The Cause". So we at the moment can only go back six years.

HOWEVER

Section 32 says that if there was concealment of something then the six years begins from the day that the concealment is discovered, or could reasonably be discovered. So - if the Banks kowingly concealed the punitive nature of their charges (DUH!!) then we can go back as long as we like because the six years begins TODAY, when you found out about the concealment. This is the untested part; we're still waiting for the results of some actions going back further.

I understand it to be six years 'from the date of knowledge' in other words the six years starts from the date we became aware that the charges were unlawful.

Lloyds TSB - £972

Claim acknowledged

Defence received

AQ 20/06/06

Woolwich - £2288

Offered half

Smile - £175

Pelim 23/06/06

My Ex vs Woolwich - £715

S.A.R sent 30/08/06

Pelim 06/10/06

LBA 20/10/06

Advice & opinions provided are personal, and not endorsed by CAG or BAG, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I understand it to be six years 'from the date of knowledge' in other words the six years starts from the date we became aware that the charges were unlawful.

That's what I said; but it's untested and we're waiting for Seminole to use this argument in court. Thing is, you will have to convince a court that the Defendant knew about the unlawfullness of the charges and actively concealed it - as opposed to some other thing getting in the way of it. In order to prove this, the banks would have to show the court their costs (which we're certain are tiny) and they would have to be far outstripped by the charges.

Which is why the advice is 6 years as it is tried and tested.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I clicked on this thread hoping to see another Labour government white elephant and find a serious debate instead....

The Statue of Limitation would look good by the side of the Thames!

Just the FAQ’s ma'am. Please read 'em thoroughly before jumping in. Cheers :)

Find all the letters under the rainbow here

Being a man, I am always right (however I will make no admission of liability if you have misinterpreted my instructions!! :) ) If you are in any doubt, then consult a professional. All opinions offered on this site are just that, and should not be taken as legal advice.

Halifax - £1400 reclaimed. Now on a crusade to help others!

I clicked on this thread hoping to see another Labour government white elephant and find a serious debate instead....

The Statue of Limitation would look good by the side of the Thames!

I thought you had lost the plot at first but I see what you mean now!:D

I am a dunderhead!

Lloyds TSB - £972

Claim acknowledged

Defence received

AQ 20/06/06

Woolwich - £2288

Offered half

Smile - £175

Pelim 23/06/06

My Ex vs Woolwich - £715

S.A.R sent 30/08/06

Pelim 06/10/06

LBA 20/10/06

plot and lost are two words that are often associated with me :)

Just the FAQ’s ma'am. Please read 'em thoroughly before jumping in. Cheers :)

Find all the letters under the rainbow here

Being a man, I am always right (however I will make no admission of liability if you have misinterpreted my instructions!! :) ) If you are in any doubt, then consult a professional. All opinions offered on this site are just that, and should not be taken as legal advice.

Halifax - £1400 reclaimed. Now on a crusade to help others!